[ORP] Firestorm Manor

Moderator: Community Team

Quixote

Re: [ORP] Firestorm Manor

Post by Quixote »

Quixote was caught offguard by the idea of getting out of his armor. "Well, you know, i like to be prepared in case of trouble, never know if a dragon may insult your honor, or a giant try to steal your strawberries." These were quests he had undertaken for Nikola in the past, journeying to far distant mountains and fighting Balerion to a draw and he chuckled when he thought of stealing the strawberries from under the noses of those giants with the windmilling arms in Bravia town. [for those who saw reality in ways quixote did not, they would have seen actual windmills and no giants at all, and they would have known that Balerion had taken pity on the poor knight who was completely outmatched]

He was led to his room by Iris who directed him to the bath. Quixote's resolve against this measure began to melt when he realized that in fact his armor was nearly falling apart in places and needed repair. Also the cold on the road had been terrible and the warmth was welcome. So in the end, although he made quite the nuisance of himself with Iris, she prevailed and he sunk into a much needed bath.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

As soon as Quixote had been sent off to his room, Nikola had dispatched a messenger to alert the town smithy that there would be a fair amount of work for him to do and to make sure his forge was lit and ready to go. Once Iris convinced the knight to take his bath, Ben was sent in to retrieve the armor. Nikola examined it carefully and considered just throwing it out and giving him an all new set of gold plate, but discarded that idea, knowing that he would know the difference. Instead she had the whole lot carted into town to the smithy with instructions to repair what could be saved and to replace what could not and to match the pieces as well as possible complete with small dents and scratches if the saved pieces could not be made to shine like new. All the leather pieces that held the armor together would have to be replaced. She had had no idea his armor was in such bad shape, but she knew the town smithy was up to the challenge. Besides, his smithy needed work and the armor needed airing out.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

quixote rather enjoyed the bath actually. And he also practiced his combat skills with a simulation where his right hand was himself in armor with a lance (his index finger sticking out) and a bar of soap with a washrag on it was a mighty winged dragon. He defeated the dragon handily and sent it to the depths of the sea.

After nearly an hour and the bath gone cold, a squeaky clean Quixote emerged and put on the robe and slippers provided for him. He missed his armor, but he was safe here in Nikola's home so he would enjoy the softness just this once. He was suddenly ravenous and asked an attendant about dinner.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola had changed into something more comfortable (i.e. dry and warm) after being out in the snow seeing to Quixote and his wagon, and was down in the kitchen when one of the servants came in announcing that Quixote was asking about dinner. She grinned and told him she would see to the knight herself, checked to see when dinner would be ready and headed upstairs to the room where Quixote was apparently still ensconced.

Knocking on the door, she called out to him in a soft voice,
“Quixote, are you decent? May I come in?”
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

“Quixote, are you decent? May I come in?”

"Indeed my lady," Quixote replied his deep voice cracked a little with age, "I only FEEL naked without my armor, but I am clothed. Please do me the honor of coming in."

Quixote opened the door and bowed low at the waist, nearly head butting Nikola who had started to enter.

"I trust the goods were in order? I must say I have no head for figures.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola smiled down at Quixote as his bow brought his head very near to butting against her midsection. She thought about how her cheeks already hurt from smiling so much. First, Faranni had moved in and now Quixote was here, and he always made her smile, except when he had her laughing hysterically. It had been too long since she had enjoyed life and it was good to open up again.

“I must say you look handsome in that robe, Quixote, and I nearly did not recognize you without the armor. Worry not, though. It shall be repaired and returned to you before you leave. In the meantime, perhaps I’ll see if we can’t find something other than a robe for you to wear outside your room.”

She gave him a bright smile before brushing away his attempt to talk business right away. “Thomas is out helping Ben do a full inventory and they will bring that to me when they have finished. We can discuss business then. In the meantime, would you do me the honor of joining me for dinner?”
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

“I must say you look handsome in that robe, Quixote, and I nearly did not recognize you without the armor. Worry not, though. It shall be repaired and returned to you before you leave. In the meantime, perhaps I’ll see if we can’t find something other than a robe for you to wear outside your room.”

"Oh yes, that would be lovely. Perhaps there is a suit of chain mail about?" Actually he would have put on anything Nikola provided, including a jester's uniform.

In the meantime, would you do me the honor of joining me for dinner?”

Quixote's stomach growled impudently when dinner was mentioned. He had not been eating healthy for a long time. "Indeed my lady, it would be my distinct honor to accompany you to dinner, as long as the menu is not broccoli omelettes." He smiled at his joke, but then thought better of it... what if that is all Firestorm Manor had? What if his mention of broccoli omelettes earlier in the day had started a trend and now everyone wanted to eat that? "And even if it were broccoli omelettes I should still enjoy the dinner because of the company," he added to save any possible embarrassment.

"So tell me, dear lady, how is Fenia treating you? I must say I never did quite recover from the shock of you leaving Bravia."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola shook her head at Quixote’s request for a suite of chain mail. “I don’t think I’ve seen any chainmail around the estate, but I’ll bet we can find you some trousers and a nice shirt. That might have to do until your armor comes back.”

She chuckled as his stomach made itself known at the mention of a meal. “No, I’m fairly certain broccoli omelets are not on the menu for tonight’s meal. In fact, I just left the kitchen to come see you and as I recall there is roast beef with a side of bacon, fruit salad, mashed potatoes, freshly baked loaves of bread and lots of butter to slather wherever you want it. I am pretty sure I smelled an iskir berry pie baking as well. I do hope that will meet with your approval?”

She slipped a hand into the crook of his elbow and began to guide him down the hall to the dining room as she considered how to answer his last question.

“Fenia is…well, it is not quite what I expected. The people are more active here and some of them have been very welcoming and friendly. I am sorry that my leaving Bravia gave you such a shock. The decision to move was made over a rather long period of time. Many factors played into that decision, and…”

She hesitated, giving him a sad smile and patting his arm before she continued. “Well, I’m not convinced it was the best decision in the long run, but it seemed to be the right decision at the time.”

They walked down the stairs in relative silence and she led the way into the dining room where the staff was already bringing in platters of food and placing them on the table. “Here, Quixote, please take a seat next to me,” she told him, settling into a chair at the head of the table and indicating the chair at the corner to her right. This way they would be able to eat and chat without constantly having to strain their necks to see one another.

As they began filling their plates from the steaming platters, she continued the conversation. “I have my work here and I enjoy it well enough. I was rather enthusiastic at first, and that enthusiasm was … shall we say misplaced? I am accustomed to getting things done, and working with the people of my province. I ran into a number of roadblocks here that simply did not exist in Bravia.”

She took a bite of roast beef and chewed for a moment before swallowing the bite and continuing. “I have basically lost my enthusiasm for the job and mostly just do what people ask of me rather than being proactive as I am accustomed to being. It seems simpler that way and does not ruffle feathers so much.”

She gave him a little smile and took a sip of her iskir wine. “I can’t say that I am as happy here as I once was in Bravia, but I think I am happier now than I was there near the end in Bravia. I would very much like to visit Bravia again, but…” she sighed and shook her head a fraction, “…the King will not allow it. He will not even allow me to hunt Xanthreels off the coast. He fears that I would be needed in my office and my absence might place Fenia’s ability to do business at risk, I suppose.” She shrugged with a little chuckle. “The reality is that I doubt anyone would even notice if I was gone unless one of the mayors actually put something on the VR Fair and I wasn’t there to buy it right away.”

She took another bite and chewed as she watched Quixote dig in, noting how he was even thinner than she remembered. “Have you been well, my dear Knight Errant?”
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

“No, I’m fairly certain broccoli omelets are not on the menu for tonight’s meal. In fact, I just left the kitchen to come see you and as I recall there is roast beef with a side of bacon, fruit salad, mashed potatoes, freshly baked loaves of bread and lots of butter to slather wherever you want it. I am pretty sure I smelled an iskir berry pie baking as well. I do hope that will meet with your approval?”

Quixote's mouth hung open and a drop of saliva made its way down his beard. He didn't actually say anything at the time, and listened to her natter on about Fenia, but when he sat down to dinner and saw the majestic spread he finally did say, "Oh my, this is quite magnificent! I hope you didn't go to all this trouble just for me?" Actually he did hope that, he hoped it with all the hope-iness of his hope-r, and although those aren't real words, they most accurately convey Quixote's inner feelings. For he desperately needed to be needed, even to be celebrated. He didn't want to make a nuisance of himself, though he nearly always did, what he really wanted was to help, to be part of the team and to do what he did best, that is, what he did best besides make a nuisance of himself, because really that shouldn't count as something you do best.

Nikola's feelings about the monarchy were terribly confusing. Quixote's own thoughts were worse. Quixote thought kings were grand figures, but as a lifelong Bravian he'd been conditioned to be suspicious of Fenia and their king. Most kings were good, but some were evil, and really he couldn't assess that on the basis of his experiences or Nikola's ruminations. He knew that she was sad, and this made him sad, except that the roast beef made him happy. He would almost get a thought together and then she moved on with the conversation and so he listened, that was until he heard this:

"...the King will not allow it. He will not even allow me to hunt Xanthreels off the coast."

"Xanthareels?" Quixote tried to interject. He was not heard though, and he didn't feel it was really his turn to talk until she said,
“Have you been well, my dear Knight Errant?”

He swallowed the mashed potatoes in this mouth and tried to sound knightly, "Never better, my lady! This has been a hard winter everywhere, but that is what causes us to rise to the challenge. Now about Xanthareels... I had been questing for those due to some spooky lady that wore a single large earring. I never did find one though, tell me are they a menace? Should someone be out there stopping their evilness? Off the coast you say? Is that far from here?" He would not have known a Xanthareel if he had stumbled over one, and he had no basis for assuming they were evil except that they were to be hunted by people like him and Nikola, and since those people were good, the Xanthareels were necessarily evil.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola smiled at her guest, his zest for life and the ever present questing made her forget her own troubles for a time. He always did have a way of making her smile, even when he wasn’t trying.

“Xanthreels live in the sea. There was a time, just before I left Bravia, that they left the sea and traveled inland, destroying mines and stealing goods from the markets, but they eventually were driven back into the sea where they belong. They are not inherently evil, I don’t think, but they are a fearsome foe and can be very dangerous to fight. However, the rewards can be tremendous. If the Xanthreel that you kill has a horde of goods and money he has stolen throughout his life, you can take it for yourself, so killing Xanthreels can be lucrative for some. I have fought and killed a number of them before coming to Fenia, but the ones I killed must have been lazy for I never got much off of them.”

She thought back on some of the battles she had fought with the creatures before settling in Fenia. “John tends to be a lot luckier at that than I am. But fighting them is a great way to increase your weapons skills. Have you truly never met one? Athena is on the coast and that is about 3 days from here. I have not been able to travel around Fenia much at all, so I’m not sure about where the other coastal towns are, to be honest.”