History of a Recent Revolt

Moderator: Community Team

balerion

Re: History of a Recent Revolt

Post by balerion »

(It's late and the letter formatting makes it harder to tell it's entirely OOC. I'm passing out now. Don't eat too many of the sugar plum faries.)
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Adamus

Post by Adamus »

Duke_of_Earl,

I very much appreciate your perspective on the Lady now styled Ambrosia Half Whiskey. I obviously owe her an apology for my ignorance inspired flight of fancy re her background and history. I also appreciate your insight into her motivations vis-a-vis a long established status quo in Secfenia politics. Nikola's response above and Vicereine Aishe's politely expressed instructions on proper ways to approach the VR council when I was recently agitating for a mini-game both struck me as elitist expressions of privilege. A response entirely in keeping with our times and a society carefully guarding its rights and traditions- the status quo. I am just glad it has so far come without the usual beheading.

Now that it is clear to me that the yawning chasm of silence was purposeful, I am regretful that I listed some names and positions that may have given aid and comfort to our enemies. I cannot promise not to fly out of left field at the next windmill that needs tilting, but I will try to restrain myself. Before I am muzzled. Social pressures are soooo convenient to an established hierarchy.

Back to the sheep fields, but one more cry out before I go. If any of you have "non-sensitive" information to be added to the events of the recent revolt....POST HERE!
History wants to know.

Sincerely,
Shepherd Adamus

ps balerion is my hero.
pps Did I get the spelling right this time?
Duke_of_Earl

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

Adamus wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:46 pmNikola's response above and Vicereine Aishe's politely expressed instructions on proper ways to approach the VR council when I was recently agitating for a mini-game both struck me as elitist expressions of privilege.
Ehhhh, I can hear it in my own 'voice' as well sometimes; but it really actually isn't: elitist expressions of privilege I mean. You might develop a bit of a different perspective if and when you accept being put in charge of something yourself -you know one of our town council offices is 'Office of the Presses, a newsletter office-.

When you spend a lot of time, effort, and energy, investing into the development of a system that you feel best serves all parties; then someone tells you that you are wrong, should stop it, and do it another way instead; It can really irk ones otherwise sunny disposition. Yeah it's largely an ego thing, which one might realize after the moment has passed an be a bit remorseful about it, but in the moment itself, it can be quite frustrating and infuriating. After all, the time spent working on what you've worked on could have been spent doing something fun and or relaxing, but you instead spent it working on this project or that.

That is what happens to a lot of councilors; often we even do it to each other. We do a project, then get criticized about it, and it's not like there were others lining up to volunteer to do that project. You do the best you can and then it feels bad when your efforts seem to be actively countermanded. You don't even really realize it when you are the one actually doing it yourself to someone else, but when you go over it again later, you are all like "aww I wish I hadn't said that."
Last edited by Duke_of_Earl on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAME, RACE, -banner by Aida
balerion

Post by balerion »

At the very least I'll clarify that by no means is Ambra one of our enemies. We exchanged delightful letters while she was in town. Kingy doesn't like elections to begin with so this is the result. I don't want to be king for an extended period and no one else has expressed desire to run since Ambra was denied permission. I ruled in Bravia long enough to know exactly how boring it gets. There hasn't been an election here since Jul 11, 2013. I'm less than thrilled by this, but anyone else who ever cares moves to Bravia when they don't get their way. If Fenians actually wanted elections we'd have them but realistically most don't. The kingdom klinks along well enough whoever wears the crown and as General I've already been able to implement any fiscal changes worth making. The only real change Fenia needs at the moment is for the hideous flag to be replaced with the original.

As for the proper way to reach councilors give 'em all hell. If you don't we'll get fat and lazy.

Ps. Yes, this time you spelled it right.
Shaker of Castles
Duke_of_Earl

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

balerion wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:02 pmIf you don't we'll get fat and lazy.
or in the case of cats, 'stay exactly the same' ^:P

but yeah, [mention]Adamus[/mention], you can sometimes just spot one of us in the tavern and hit us up for some conversation right in the moment.
We aren't an unaproachable lot, and some even are there with their pets and children. If you spot me around town but not in the tavern, you can always ping me to pop into the tavern; odds are I'm doing market maintenance which is why I hadn't gone in straight away, but it's nothing that I can't wait an hour or two to finish.

thank you for your time and please have a very pleasant evening.
Duke_of_Earl

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

There is also an area here: viewtopic.php?f=273&t=11985 for direct petitioning of the king.

I've been giving this part a bit more thought today too.
Adamus wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:46 pmI was recently agitating for a mini-game.
The concept of political agitation seems to be one which pits people against their government in order to adapt the behavior of that government. The issue there being that a government is not meant to be the the peoples enemy, but rather, the peoples shield. When stood behind, the people are safe and protected, as well as able to influence the direction it faces. When stood against however, they can become caught in the cross fire between an enemies incoming sword blow, and the shields parry, block, or counterstrike bash-attack. It's a dangerous spot to be in. Unitiy is always where the strength of a community lies, and when everyone is together behind the shield, the shield is nigh impregnable, able withstand any attack resoundingly. When they are not, or when some are trying to yank the shield in several different directions at once, the shield becomes thin and vulnerable, more easily pierced.

Hence I would presume any government anywhere regardless of it's style would find themselves being a bit wary of agitation versus cooperative influence. Different government s try to maintain peace and unity in different way, i.e there are different types of shield. Bucklers vs Tower Shields, small shields, large shields, shields made from steel vs from oak and leathers, etc who all function in different ways unique to them and provide different kinds of defense. In the Fenia version, ultimately the King decides where to point the shield and even the council are basically there as advisors and administrative aides/assistants, rather than governing entities; but in between times when the shield needs to be pointed, the King is glad to hear out new ideas about why it may better to point the shield in this direction or that one. Despite what some enemies beyond the kingdom may have to say about it, the King is not a tyrant, and will consider everyones ideas and opinions who brings them forth; but he is the King and ultimately makes the final decisions. This system gives us maximum efficiency compared to systems where there are no final authorities.

Now all that being said, one reason there are many things we'd like to get done, regarding games and activities etc, but aren't is because we simply do not have the manpower to do it all atm. The best way to get something done you'd like to see done is to offer to do it. If you are developing an interest in dueling for example, there is a dueling club located here: viewforum.php?f=277 that our last Vicerene put together. It helped to provide a means for organizing contestants into matches for training and development; but when she left there was no one to take over it's leadership. There are opportunities like this all across the kingdom for anyone who would like to get involved in bringing some things to bear.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

Jun 17, 1658
4:00 am [Attack/Defense] Your castle revolt against the Viceroyalty of Fenia was successful! You threw the Monarch into a dark alley. (Alignment Change: -1000 to -1000)

I don't remember doing this, so I may have been in my Lycan form. Hope I didn't hurt anyone too badly... unless they deserved it.

I'd like to thank the dragon for the medal and the King for the position of councilor, but looking on my desk I see no items to start or complete. As far as the medal, it was an honor to put my skills to use for the kingdom.

And yes, you were drinking quite heavily.
Viscount of Northwood and Royal Guard
balerion

Post by balerion »

If you need things to do I still need a second in command for the military.
Shaker of Castles
Zuan

Post by Zuan »

I feel as though commenting here myself might clear up a few things, in regards to the recent events, the laws of the land, how best one might seek to assist the Kingdom or raise concerns they might have. It is good, regardless of differing opinions to see people having civil discussion about their views and in the event of needing clarification, askin for it.

We as a Kingdom have experienced five years of relative peace and stability, and that stability has been created and conferred through our current legal system. Though not all approval of a Monarchical government, and I respect that differing stance, that is the government of Fenia and how it shall remain for the foreseeable future. Those who take issue on this nations stance toward the RoS are as I have mentioned, free to differ in view, and are still welcome to provide views on how to better this Kingdom and are welcome to take part in local or Kingdom wide council and office. Recently I have had a citizen request to run for Mayorship and I have granted it, as I believe everyone deserves an opportunity to show what they bring to this Kingdom so long as they follow our legal corpus.

In relation to Ambra, and to settle the matter simply. She is not a criminal. She will not be prosecuted for her recent actions, and that will be the end of this story. I have spoken to her since her decision to run, and have considered the matter for the time closed. No damage was done, no lives lost, perhaps a few days of work, but that is nothing compared to peace and prosperity of the nation. As I have stated that peace has granted this Kingdom many things, one of which is the continued growth of our wealth and ability to support our citizens. Thanks to the security run by our General, and the well run management by our Finance Minister Nikola, Mine Minister Akos and well critiqued advice of Duke, Aishe and every other member of the council who continues to bring welcome ideas to the table to improve this nation. From that we have produced programmes to support people in advancing their wellbeing, through education schemes, migration plans and fiscal support in building projects (levelling) we have made the most of what peace and stability brings.

It is encouraging to see so many speak on this matter. Johnstone was requested to send a letter once the event occurred in order to keep the people in the know and to make sure they were aware no harm would come their way. Like Duke has mentioned, it is best to keep these things quiet until complete in the event they do not go to plan or someone attempts to hijack the moment. As for how issues can be addressed, I always read letters sent to the castle in private and likewise we do have a public court where citizens can come and ask all they wish of us. If anyone is interested in joining their local councils, then speak to the appropriate Mayor, if they are wishing to joint our military to protect our nation and homes speak to the General, Balerion, and as ever if one wishes to join the Privy council, I would personally welcome those letters of application. As while there are only so many ‘official’ roles, more voices cannot be considered a bad thing in times where they are needed.
High King of The Fenians - Brother to Dahlia, Ambra, Trinity, Sera & Zhou