[TEST] Chicken Farm Profitability Tracker 12/27-1/5

Moderator: Community Team

Duke_of_Earl

[TEST] Chicken Farm Profitability Tracker 12/27-1/5

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

Day 0: -260F for 4 chickens(@25F), 1 field conversion fee(50F), 24 bags of corn (@3.50F), Anticipated slaughtering cost of 24F, 1 use of oats
Day 1: + 12 eggs, + 1 feathers
Day 2: + 11 eggs, + 0 feathers
Day 3: + 12 eggs, + 1 feathers
Day 4: + 14 eggs, + 0 feathers
Day 5: + 13 eggs, + 2 feathers
Day 6: + 10 eggs, + 1 feathers
Day 7: + 09 eggs, + 2 feathers, -24F for slaughtering accounted for above,
Day 8: 15 Plucked Chickens

Notes: Average rate of earnings ~60F per day : Farm is Profitable as of day 5 @+40F (8F per day);
Total eggs: 81 - average of 11.6 per day (~36F)
Total Feathers: 7 - aerage of 1 per day (2F-6F [4F])
Average plucked chicens per day: ~2 (20F)

*A slaughter on day 1 of a second run yielded 12 chickens.
Last edited by Duke_of_Earl on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:51 am, edited 8 times in total.
NAME, RACE, -banner by Aida
Nikola

Re: [TEST] Chicken Farm Profitability Tracker 12/27-1/5

Post by Nikola »

Don't forget to use your Collie. It will help increase the number of eggs your chickens lay. :)
Argenth

Post by Argenth »

When I held chicken fields, I used to allow the chickens to live to about day 13-15 before I started slaughtering them. When they started to drop to around 60/70 in health, I used aloe leaves to heal them up again. This way I would gain a lot more eggs and feathers, and not loosing too much chicken meat in the process. The important thing to start with is to have the scarecrow to chase away wild animals (which could also be added into the cost if starting the field for the first time).
|-| Banner by Faranni |-| "We are all the heroes of our own stories... Just sometimes, we forget that others have their own stories as well."
Duke_of_Earl

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

Nikola wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:12 pm Don't forget to use your Collie. It will help increase the number of eggs your chickens lay. :)
nods, I keep my collie turned on all the time, even when I don't have a ranch ^:P; I should probably turn him off for the experiment just to get a reading nearer to what a newbie level 1 would get, but OTOH I already have Animal Husbandry and can't un-apply that influence, so; OTOH again, I'm using market bought corn. For Max profits, I'd have changed my wheat field to corn first. and taken a week to produce my own corn which would lower my starting costs.
Argenth wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:55 amWhen I held chicken fields, I used to allow the chickens to live to about day 13-15 before I started slaughtering them. When they started to drop to around 60/70 in health, I used aloe leaves to heal them up again. This way I would gain a lot more eggs and feathers, and not loosing too much chicken meat in the process. The important thing to start with is to have the scarecrow to chase away wild animals (which could also be added into the cost if starting the field for the first time).
nod's, I'm doing a soon after maturity test because we currently have too many eggs about as is. I'm sitting on several hundred of them; and the price is having trouble staying between 3F and 3&1/3 which is the range I had wanted to maintain for this market. My target goal is to beat 300F using 10F chickens, 3F eggs and feathers. I got 21 plucked chickens my last round and would rather have that every week than every two in addition to just enough eggs and feathers; at least until we need more eggs again, or egg prise start regularly exceeding 3&1/5 - 3.20F again.
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

I can't say those are natural assumptions. That assumes "Max" profit implies you get better profit from a corn field than a wheat field, but that isn't always the case. My wheat field tends to make better profits, have faster sales, and also gets me an intangible - more WP if I choose to hire for it - vs a corn field over the same time period using LCM samples.

If you're looking to have the test run without horticulture, you could also seek town volunteers and setup an adoption program for them to have pets, too, and help those levels boost their production much like a boat program....over time, a few eggs donated earns you a pooch and some associated food...just random thoughts into the tracker.
Duke_of_Earl

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

Nocturne wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:43 pmI can't say those are natural assumptions. That assumes "Max" profit implies you get better profit from a corn field than a wheat field, but that isn't always the case. My wheat field tends to make better profits, have faster sales, and also gets me an intangible - more WP if I choose to hire for it - vs a corn field over the same time period using LCM samples.
Relative to chicken farms I mean. I know wheat fields in and of themselves beat out corn fields, but ...well, I've never tested if the extra profit from a wheat field beats out the savings on chickens from using your own corn. I just know I laid out more for chicken feed corn than I would have laid out for chicken feed corn if I'd produced it for ~50F; about 34F more.
Nocturne wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:43 pmIf you're looking to have the test run without horticulture, you could also seek town volunteers and setup an adoption program for them to have pets, too, and help those levels boost their production much like a boat program....over time, a few eggs donated earns you a pooch and some associated food...just random thoughts into the tracker.
nods, Good idea. I'll mention it to @Ella. Tnx.
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Double post, hit quote instead of edit -_-
Last edited by Nocturne on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Duke_of_Earl wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:51 pm
Nocturne wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:43 pmI can't say those are natural assumptions. That assumes "Max" profit implies you get better profit from a corn field than a wheat field, but that isn't always the case. My wheat field tends to make better profits, have faster sales, and also gets me an intangible - more WP if I choose to hire for it - vs a corn field over the same time period using LCM samples.
Relative to chicken farms I mean. I know wheat fields in and of themselves beat out corn fields, but ...well, I've never tested if the extra profit from a wheat field beats out the savings on chickens from using your own corn. I just know I laid out more for chicken feed corn than I would have laid out for chicken feed corn if I'd produced it for ~50F; about 34F more.
So you're saying that you're not sure if earning more money that buys more corn than you could produce beats out doing it yourself? *boggles* I think that's conflating spending with profits...just because you spend money to make more money doesn't mean that you profit less by not spending it.
Duke_of_Earl wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:51 pm
Nocturne wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:43 pmIf you're looking to have the test run without horticulture, you could also seek town volunteers and setup an adoption program for them to have pets, too, and help those levels boost their production much like a boat program....over time, a few eggs donated earns you a pooch and some associated food...just random thoughts into the tracker.
nods, Good idea. I'll mention it to @Ella. Tnx.
No problem!
Aingeal

Post by Aingeal »

I just usually buy chickens and just let them run free range until they die. They just find food laying around..... So the intial cost is like 100f, and I have gotten as many as 250 eggs
Mother to Amara, Wife to Anessen, Guard of Fenia
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Aingeal wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:04 pm I just usually buy chickens and just let them run free range until they die. They just find food laying around..... So the intial cost is like 100f, and I have gotten as many as 250 eggs
This example: Sell eggs at minimum 2F, profit 100%. You have a few dead plucked ones at the end as a bonus? 1 Each = 40F (minimum 10F each), 140%