Fenia City Cathedral

Moderator: Community Team

Aida

Re: Fenia City Cathedral.

Post by Aida »

Service for 12th July 1655

Greetings, friends and neighbours. Todays reading is from the Book of Mages, Song of the Phoenix 2:6-12.

'Zulakc saw that he was needed as the new mortal earth began to breathe its first breath and so he too stepped down and joined The Oldest Mage and the Master of Time. He brought forth his will and vast oceans flooded the land, with winds to cool them and moons to guide them. And so the equilibrium was born, and the elements came into being.

The world was falling into balance, but it was not beautiful, nor productive, nor life giving. And so Jilou made her way onto the earth and breathed into a single dot, which began to multiply and grow. She handed it to Zachrin, who began to nuture the cycle of life and death she had begun, and gave forth another gift, the gift of the spirit. And so the earth began to flourish and the earth began to grow.'

Last weeks prizewinner was MissRai04! Her prize was a thanksgiving meal and a bottle of milk. I hope you enjoyed the meal. I've got quite a few more interesting prizes ready to give out so keep attending twice a week and you might win! I hope this goes some way to thank you all for your donations and time.

In case you didn't see the PR newsletter this month, Balerion is currently asking for people to go wood chopping for him. If you'd like to do so - and pause on the node between Imperius and Fenia to do some foraging - please note the town hall will pay up to 9F for celery, the cathedral will pay up to 7F for oats right now and iskir berries sell for 15F. And you might find other interesting and very valuable goods!

Peace be upon you all!
Aida

Post by Aida »

Sermon 16th July 1655 - Delivered by Aniel

Greetings,

Many times, the decisions we make affect and hurt our closest friends and family the most. I have a lot of regrets in that regard. But mages have forgiven me, which I am very thankful for. It has enabled me to forgive myself and move forward one day at a time.

Forgiveness is not always easy. At times, it feels more painful than the wound we suffered, to forgive the one that inflicted it. And yet, there is no peace without forgiveness.I learned a long time ago that some people would rather die than forgive. It's a strange truth, but forgiveness is a painful and difficult process. It's not something that happens overnight. It's an evolution of the heart.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.

Go in peace.
Aida

Post by Aida »

Service for 19th July, 1655
Greetings, friends and neighbours. Todays reading is from the Book of Mages, Song of the Phoenix 2:13-19.

And so the world did begin to grow, and creatures began to form and life began to exist. It multiplied and multiplied from the single dot Jilou had given the eternal magic too, until it began to become so complex that the Mages recognised that it was the turn of Ruza to bring her will forth. She gave the gift of emotion and of feeling, and danced her energy onto the earth until emotion danced with her.

Emotion manifests in dreams, and so Jilou excercised her will once more and creatures began to dream. But they dreamt of nothing except that which was solid, and real and so recognising their time was about, The Oldest Mage invited Gretub onto the earth, to add mystery, uncertainty and illusion to the world. Their parting gift to the Newest Creatures as they stepped back up to their seat in the immortal plane was the gift of the consideration of the unknown. In short, Gretub gave the gift of imagination.

Announcements
Firstly, I must announced with regret that it appears our beloved long term priestess, Lady Hayley James, has passed from these lands. We hope that wherever she is, she is happy and well. If you knew Lady Hayley and she left wishes with you for what to do after her passing, please contact me and I will do my best to hold a memorial according to those wishes. Otherwise, a memorial stone will be up soon in the graveyard for those wishing to pay their respects.

Last weeks prizewinner was Kali and her prize was a green orb. Congratulations to her and I hope you enjoy using it! And good luck everyone, for next week.

Due to a very generous donation to the Town Hall, please note we can afford to give out free boats right now. The only repayment we ask is that you use the boat to fish on occasion, either for yourself or for the town.

Peace be upon you all!
Aida

Post by Aida »

Vigil for the Eve of the Phoenix Festival - 31st July 1655
Greetings, friends and neighbours. We are here today in order to hold a vigil dedicated to Lady Hayley James, who was the founding priestess of this very cathedral and the town's long term priestess and mentor. I am very sorry to see her pass, and I hope the Mages have guided her on to a good place. She was a kind person, a sometimes rather underrated and forgotten trait in these lands.

This vigil also serves another purpose, for we are on the Eve of the the Phoenix Festival. As phoenixes rise from death into a new life, let us consider this theme and spend some time remembering those we have lost before we move on to our month of celebration.

Today we read from the tenets in the Book of Mages, dedicated to the Mage Fulcatz, who according to the texts is the Mage who guides our souls after death.

-- VII - Seven Meditations
i. Silence is the language of the Divine.

ii. The Void is not one place, but encompasses many domains. Only those who empty themselves of everything can visit the true heart of the Void, never to return.

iii. Gates, doors and portals to other places are everywhere. Like tears in the fabric of the world, one need only feel for the folds.

iv. Knowledge speaks to us through words we see and hear. Wisdom has no voice for wisdom is of the heart, and of the very soul.

v. To touch the light, a soul must pass beneath the shadow.

vi. It is the mind and the will that dictate what a creature can become, not birth nor raising.

vii. Listen to the voice that speaks without words.

Feel free to stay until dawn's light. And I will see you all tomorrow for the beginning of the festivities!
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

A shadowed rose forms in memory of Hayley, and Nocturne makes note to one day meet Fulcatz, before slipping away through one of those very folds in the world.
Athnal

Post by Athnal »

Athnal sneaks to Cathedral imperceptibly and leaves a note pinned to gate:
Sorry for breaking your windows.
Daily.
Duke_of_Earl

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

No worries.
It creates market demand for windows.
=^O.O^=
NAME, RACE, -banner by Aida
Aida

Post by Aida »

Aida sweeps past the front gate one morning to find a note pinned there,

"Such a polite vandal," she murmurs, before heading in to begin the moring checkups at the clinic.

==============

Memorial for Casimir Grimstad

A phoenix flag is raised outside the temple doors. It indicates a death and the memorial of Casimir Grimstad, but also represents rebirth and life. Although it is a solemn day, and the priests wear black robes, it is also a day of celebration, the celebration of a life well lived.

I repeat a proverb from the Book of Mages, Tenets 2:3.

'Death is a new beginning, a moving on of the soul to a different place. Like spring follows winter, life follows death. Without death, no new life can grow.'

Casimir: Husband; Father; Brother and cherished friend will be fondly and lovingly remembered by all those who knew him. Once a devoted Fenian, and then a loyal Bravian, he served his nation and family bravely and with dedication. It is hard to believe he’s gone, after he brought so much life to our community, but we carry on in his memory. I hope we may all share as many smiles as he brought to us in his years amongst us.

To finish I read from the Book of Mages, Songs 7, after which we hear from the choir.

'The origin is the Void,
the nothingness that may bring forth life,
the womb of the world.
Whilst Emptiness may be frightening,
it brings enlightenment.

The Meditator considers all,
and by emptying her domain,
was able to create the first spark of entity.
She resides there, in perpetual silence.

Fulcatz, the Meditator, gave us the ability to bring forth a thought from nothing. The idea of the brand new was hers to give. She is the Silent One, the Shadow, the one Cloaked in silence she will gladly guide a soul through the void back to life or onwards, to permanent death.'

Peace be upon you all.

====

She sat outside after the memorial, on the bench outside the graveyard entrance. It was a chilly day, and the black priests cloak glittering with seven-pointed stars gave her little comfort. But her thoughts were not on the weather, as she stared at the phoenix flag fluttering in the wind, a brilliant orange against the heavy grey clouds. Aida was sure Casimir would never have approved of such a solemn memorial. There should be fire-eating at least. What about some juggling? She could almost hear him in the back of her mind, chiding her.

Managing a watery smile, she wiped a tear from the back of her cheek and stared up into the sky. There are still little ones to take care of, she heard him chide again, in that imaginary place in the back of her mind.

“Yes,” she whispered, “No time to fall apart.”

The heavens broke, and rain began to pour.
Aida

Post by Aida »

In the Book of Mages 3 6:6, it says:

“Muddy water let to lie still becomes clear.”

What does this mean? Sometimes, a situation can be complicated, difficult to read and impossible to unravel. It’s only when we step back, take a deep breath and let the dust settle that we can really see what’s going on with clarity.

Moving through life with calm and purpose always trumps running around like... what is it they say? A headless chicken. Thrashing around in a stream will always kick up the mud and make it impossible to see. Moving through life with few ripples keeps the water calm and clear.

Peace be upon you all!

Notices

BBQ on the front lawn on account of the improving weather! This week we’re having peri-peri zyrk.
Aida

Post by Aida »

In the Book of Mages 3 5:5, it says this:

“Wounds are places where the Light may enter.”

What does this mean? Well, we all get hurt, from time to time. Some wounds are deeper than others, but with every bad thing that happens to us, we can learn from it and grow from it. It’s tempting when a terrible thing happens to become embittered and angry, but it’s only by tackling our troubles with grace and faith that something positive comes from them.

So next time those scars begin to hurt, instead of thinking about what one has lost, think about what one has gained from them. There’s always a way to change our perspective.

Peace be upon you all!

Notices

I’m sad to say that until further notice, the crypt is entirely closed. The undead have started with the riots now, and it’s turned into some social justice nonsense. They want more candles and better quality incense on the graves? Ridiculous.