Fenia City Cathedral

Moderator: Community Team

Aida

Re: Fenia City Cathedral.

Post by Aida »

Service for 3rd May 1665

Greetings friends and neighbours,

First of all, I hope you're enjoying the pleasant weather! I'm off on my honeymoon shortly, but when I get back I'd like to announce weekly prizedraws from the temple. Everyone who attends services will automatically be entered into the prizedraw but will have the opportunity to enter their name more than once - thus doubling their chances - by answering a short triva question. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out! So please do keep a look out for an announcment mail heading your way in a few weeks.

Today, I bring up assumptions. Assumptions and judgement. A goblin swathed in a black cloak is running away from the jewellers and the jeweller is shouting after him... but the goblin was simply late for aerobics class and the jeweller was shouting he had forgotten his change.

Most of the time, we only see part of the picture, so imagine the rest of the picture in a positive way in order to not wrong others. Most of us try to be careful about judging a book by its cover, or a creature for what they look like, and mostly we do a good job. But we must always and constantly be examing our prejudices, because they are always changing. We never stop growing as people and so can never stop looking inwards and making sure we have not gone astray.

A short reminder before the end of this service, blood sacrifices are now relegated to the temple grounds after a rather unfortunate incident with some antique drapes. Please ask the monks for directions.

Peace be upon you all!
tigerlily

Post by tigerlily »

Service for 10th May

They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!

We ducked into the dimly lit thrift shop to get out of the rain. Like so many things since our daughter's birth, I hadn't planned on a trip to this place. But I figured we'd see what they had since we were there.

'Hi, today is stuff a bag day. Would you like one?' the clerk asked.

'What is stuff a bag day?'

'You take a bag and stuff it with what ever you want and it's only $3. Best deal in town.'

'Okay, sounds great,' I said, despite the fact I hadn't planned on buying anything.

I took my six-year-old daughter's hand and we started to wander around. Suddenly there was a tug on my hand and my attention was being directed to the shoe section. She shares my weakness for shoes, so we stopped for a minute to look. I let go of her hand and she reached out to touch a pair of shiny black shoes with a strap and silver buckle.

'Buy me?' she inquires.

'Oh, Sweetie, they are tap shoes. You aren't taking tap.'

'Buy me?' she repeats.

'Well, let's try them on.'

She sits on the floor and removes her bright pink rain boots, with Barbie on the sides, and easily slides the new shoes on. A perfect fit. When she stands up she hears 'click.' She takes a step. Click, Click. Slowly recognition dawns, as she makes the connection between the shoes and her moving feet. Click, Click, Click.

'Buy me?' with a hopeful look in her eyes. Again, 'Buy me, peas?'

'Okay Sweetie, take them off and put them in the bag.'

We look around some more and get a few t-shirts, pants, books and games and a naked baby doll.

Well, it's stuff a bag day - might as well get my money's worth, I think to myself.

The sun has come back out as we emerge from our little side trip and we continue on our way. As we near the car, Amara reaches for the bag. As she climbs into the back seat, I give her the bag wondering what treasure she is looking for. The shoes, of course. She is my daughter after all.

'My wear.'

It's not a question, so I took the tag off and helped her with the buckle. Our next stop was the grocery store and these shoes were made to make noise, especially on my little girl's feet. This could be interesting...

Click, Click, Click - people turn to look as we enter the store.

Click, click, click. I can feel the disapproving stares of the proper people. People who would never allow their daughter to wear tap shoes to the grocery store. I hold my head up with pride. The click, click, click is music to my ears.

'Excuse me dear. Is your daughter in tap this year?'

'No.' I replied.

'Well why on earth would you allow her to wear tap shoes, here, of all places? They make such a noise.'

'Yes, isn't it wonderful?'

'Wonderful? My dear, this is not the place to wear those shoes.'

'Oh, I think this is the perfect place to wear them. You see she asked for them.'

'Just because she asked for them, doesn't mean you have to get them for her.'

'You don't understand,' I said.

'When she was a baby, we were told she would never walk or talk. It has taken a lot of hard work and patience but she asked for the shoes and the click, click, click says that she can walk.'

My daughter, who is always on the move, is 18 now and will graduate from grade 12 in June. It has not always been easy, but it has all been worthwhile. She has taught me that it doesn't matter what others think. They don't walk in your shoes.

And just like the ladies in the purple hats*, sometimes you simply have to wear tap shoes to the grocery store - if for nothing else, just for the sheer joy of hearing the click, click, click.

* Ladies in purple hats are groups of women who have reached a certain age and now can allow themselves to enjoy life without fear of what others think.

Go in peace my friends
tigerlily

Post by tigerlily »

Service for 17th May

Greetings, all, from Aida, as far away as I am right now I still very much think about Fenia City and all of you. I know parables aren't usually my style, but as Suu Nee told me this tale I felt like it was worth sharing with you all.

A long time ago, many years in fact, there was a husband and wife. They were always arguing. It was hot, it was not, it was there, no it was here... everything either of them said, the other found fault with. Finally, the wife went to an elder to ask for something, some kind of spell that would make her husband more agreeable. The elder listened, then nodded and said, "Well, I have nothing at this time, but come back in three days... then I'll have a cure.''

So, at the end of three long days, the wife returned. The elder gave her a small bottle, filled with some liquid. It was dark, and on uncapping the lid the wife sniffed it and realised it smelled foul.

"Whenever you start a dispute," the elder said, "Take a small sip and hold it under your tongue until the argument ends. If the problem isn't solved by the time you've used up the bottle.... I'll give you a full refund.''

"But how does ME taking this help?" The wife protested.

"It's never failed," the Elder replied simply, "but nevermind the details, do you want a peaceful home or not?"

And so the woman nodded and paid, taking the bottle with her. As soon as she entered her door, the husband started an argument, so right away the wife opened the bottle and took a tiny sip. It tasted beyond awful! But she did as instructed and held it under her tongue and finally, seeing that she would not argue with him, her husband subsided. Finally! She spit the potion out and rinsed her mouth of the bitter taste. This went on for a long time, daily, sometimes hourly... until finally after the third week, the arguments seemed to abate. At the end of the month, she was pleasantly surprised. There hadn't been an argument for days!

Impressed, she decided to return to the elder in curiosity. How had this worked? What magic was this?

"There was no magic!" The elder revealed, "but the potion simply made you stop to consider whether it was really worth prolonging the argument and thus, that awful bitter taste."

And so, I ask you this, is an argument worth that pain it can cause? The hurt and the bitter feelings? Pain is not cured when it is inflicted upon someone else.

Peace be upon you all.

Sent by Priestess Aida
tigerlily

Post by tigerlily »

Service for 24 May

Greetings, friends and neighbours. Today, I'd like to share with you the first two values from the Book of Faith.

LOVE: To love, to love yourself, your friends, your family and more importantly to love all. To love all equally above all else. This is the first virtue of faith. One must always love others and even though you may disagree or fall from another favour, you must learn to always treat that person as you would any other.

RESPECT OF OTHERS: To respect the decisions, the beliefs, the choices others makes through their life. To abide by their decision and accept the choices of others. To treat other people how you would expect them to treat you. This is the second virtue of faith. One must use respect to any and all, enemy or friend, family or rival for all are equal.

Which do you hold in higher regard? Should any be held in higher regard? Or are all the values of Faith equal? I will leave you with those questions today, as I have some quality romping to do in the wilderness. Take care!

Peace be upon you all! (sent by Aida)
tigerlily

Post by tigerlily »

Service for 31st May

The Leopard and the Shepherds

Leopard was searching for food in a village. There was a big pit in the village, which was covered with dry leaves and sticks. The Leopard did not see the pit and fell into it.

A Shepherd looked inside the pit and said to the other Shepherds, “Look! A Leopard has fallen inside the pit.”

Just to have fun, some Shepherds threw stones at the Leopard. However, some kind Shepherds threw some food inside the pit so that the Leopard could stay alive. By nightfall, all the Shepherds returned home. They thought that the Leopard would die at night. At night, the Leopard gathered all his strength and crawled out of the pit and went to his den. After a few days, when the Leopard was strong again he went to the village to take his revenge. The Leopard killed all the Shepherds who had thrown stones at him and ate their cattle.

The other Shepherds were scared and begged the Leopard, “Please take our cattle but spare our lives.” The wise Leopard replied, “I have come to harm only those Shepherds who hit me with stones.”

If we trouble someone who is in distress, we will suffer likewise.

Go in peace my friends
tigerlily

Post by tigerlily »

Service for 8th June

When you thought I wasn't looking

A message every adult should read, because children are watching you and doing as you do, not as you say.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favourite cake for me and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking I heard you say a prayer, and I knew there is a God I could always talk to and I learned to trust in God.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing and I learned that those who have something should give to those who don't.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled your responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's alright to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say, 'Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.'

Each of us (parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, teacher or friend) influence the life of a child. How will you touch the life of someone today?

Peace be upon you all.
tigerlily

Post by tigerlily »

Hello everyone

We are looking for anyone interested in being a deacon for our beautiful Cathedral in Fenia.

Duties:
Checking for laying of hands requests and keeping an eye on the windows (fixing broken ones).
Writing one mass/service per week (which can be set anytime before the day).
Also helping the Priest when required.

Please let your Priestess know if you are interested.

Tigerlily
Temporary Priestess
tigerlily

Post by tigerlily »

Service - 14th June

The Cookie Thief~ An Inspirational Story

A woman was waiting at an airport one night, with several long hours before her flight. She hunted for a book in the airport shops, bought a bag of cookies and found a place to drop.

She was engrossed in her book but happened to see, that the man sitting beside her, as bold as could be. . .grabbed a cookie or two from the bag in between, which she tried to ignore to avoid a scene. So she munched the cookies and watched the clock, as the gutsy cookie thief diminished her stock.

She was getting more irritated as the minutes ticked by, thinking, “If I wasn’t so nice, I would blacken his eye.” With each cookie she took, he took one too, when only one was left, she wondered what he would do.

With a smile on his face, and a nervous laugh, he took the last cookie and broke it in half. He offered her half, as he ate the other, she snatched it from him and thought… oooh, brother. This guy has some nerve and he’s also rude, why he didn’t even show any gratitude!

She had never known when she had been so galled, and sighed with relief when her flight was called. She gathered her belongings and headed to the gate, refusing to look back at the thieving ingrate. She boarded the plane, and sank in her seat, then she sought her book, which was almost complete.

As she reached in her baggage, she gasped with surprise, there was her bag of cookies, in front of her eyes. If mine are here, she moaned in despair, the others were his, and he tried to share.

Too late to apologize, she realized with grief, that she was the rude one, the ingrate, the thief.

MORAL

Those who jump before looking end up on head first in the shallow end. When you jump to conclusions you often skip over the truth & sometimes it is too late to make amends…….

Peace be upon you all.
Aida

Post by Aida »

Service for 28th June

Delivered by Rhoslyn, thankyou to her for filling in whilst I was away.

Greetings, friends and neighbours. Todays reading is from the Book of Mages, Song of the Phoenix 1:1-6.

There was nothing but the void, or chaos, or the ashes, before the eternal magic induced the rebirth of the earth, one existence in a great line of existences. First came the dust, which sprang forth from the void in a great cloud of being. Then came the land from this dust, and it was filled with poison and rained fire. Then came the seas, but they disppeared into the air and were replaced with oceans of fire. The sky covered the land like a blanket, but its clouds were also made of poison and the rain did neither nourish nor flood. In between this mortal plane and their immortal plane did the Mages keep watch, seven powerful beings who traversed the planes of existence, keeping watch as the forces of nature battled with one another in a strange disharmony.

Peace be upon you all!

Announcements

I'd like to announce that prizes are finally being given away each week! Citizens should have received a mail about it. I wish you all the best of luck!

Information about the services the temple provides can be found on our front noticeboard.
Aida

Post by Aida »

Service for 5th July 1655

Greetings friends and neighbours! I hope you are in the best of health. Todays reading is from the Book of Mages, Song of the Phoenix 2:1-6.

The Oldest Mage, Mucaz, stepped down from the immortal plane to be amongst the fire. Untouched, he was cloaked in flames as he walked in a form unknown and as he did so, the heat bent to his will and retreated to their new domain in the mountains. Thus, nature was created, the attibute which governs all other attibutes. The rain of fire calmed and the choas began to settle, and so Mucaz invited Zachrin onto the earth, with his mastery of time. Zachrin put forth his will, and hours began to pass, and the earth began to age. And thus time came to be in the way we are all servants of.

Peace be upon you all!

Announcements

Firstly a reminder that the first prizes are due to be announced tomorrow. If you somehow missed the memo, the information can be found on the entrance noticeboard!

Secondly, we have a map of our town, now with an interactive version thanks to the efforts of Ramzunius of Bravia. I hope some of you will take a look and add your own properties to the list!

Thirdly, one of our previous priests and valued member of our community, Benn, is in need of social points in order to advance. In recognition of his past service, I encourage you all to spare a point this week.

And lastly, thankyou for attending. If you haven't already, don't forget to check the front noticeboard for a list of services the Cathedral provides.