[ORP] Moorstead Farm

Moderator: Community Team

Aida

[ORP] Moorstead Farm

Post by Aida »

If you were to leave Fenia City proper and head into the outskirts near the lake, you would probably see a cluster of houses nestled between fields and trees, one of many surrounding the city. A dusty lane connects them snaking in and around and a farmer drives his honking and fussing geese down the middle towards his farm. It's been almost a year, and he's been making this faithful journey every few weeks, driving his flock to market and back. As usual, he stops and tips his straw hat to a familar young woman, who despite her new position in the world never fails to wave back. She hasn't changed much, apart from perhaps a nicer quality dress, but the house she lives in has changed beyond all recognition. Once a one room cottage with a loft, it has been added onto, mismatched and slightly lobsided, until it has grown into a medium sized farmhouse, part new and part old fashioned.

Not that much has changed, in the kitchen a cauldron still bubbles over the fire, and dried herbs and a pheasant or two still hang from the ceiling, drying out. But now children's laughter fills the place, as Genevieve, Aida's ward comes to live here as well as two new kitchen boys who work at The Hungry Hippogriff, Lod and Tod. There is a pleasant space upstairs now, with lots of light and not a dirt floor to be seen. Despite the more comfortable rooms and the presense of actual, real cushions and coverlets, the farm is still a working one and Aida and the residents work hard in order to maintain their land, animals and take care of production for the shop.
Last edited by Aida on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Master_Sirrin

Re: [ORP] Aida's Cottage

Post by Master_Sirrin »

It was a crisp, bright winter's morning. Frost crunched underfoot as tall, elderly looking half-elf made his way across the Fenian grassland towards the capital in the near distance, rooftops glistening in the rising light. He lent on his stick to consider the sight, briefly, before returning to his object and trudging on. He had been walking south since the cart he had hired - far too cheaply to be reliable in retrospect - had broken down, forcing him to carry on by foot. No matter though, despite his age he was surprisingly strong, and as he approached the gate he gave a little spring to his step. Business was about. Clerical business. Administration. The words gave him new life. Finally, some purpose. Some action.

He poured over the documents in the castle first, meeting a selection of clerical admin and securing papers and money. With this under his belt, he allowed himself to spend some time perusing the market, buying supplies for a journey and securing a number of fine horses from the city stables, arguing with prices and issuing assurances for his return. He thought about hiring a carriage, but with the possibility of bad roads ahead... well, all could be decided later. Lastly - he paused on this for a while, watching a fountain and deciding - he visited a jewelers and spent some of the money, which was not technically his, on a gift. Good.

The half-elf sighed with not a little satisfaction. Consulting a city map, he swung his now full bag over his shoulder and nodded. Time to go.
Aida

Post by Aida »

Aida paused, squinting.

"Careful, careful."

The young steward, Jade, held her fingers over the cauldron, a tiny vial poised.

"One drop. Yes!" Aida grinned and gave her a congratulatory nod, "Now you're well on your way to never suffering a single boil, wart or pimple again! With varying results."

She smiled. With Jade whose family had sent her out to earn for them since she was a small child, she felt a real kinship when she had the chance to spend time at home. They weren't very different and they had both been very young and largely alone. Plus Aida appreciated the work she did, although not always uncomplainingly. The young steward looked satisfied as she took the cauldron from the fire, rolling her eyes when she saw the other young employee that had been hired. It was probably lucky they weren't to live in the same place. For all of her qualities, Jade could be a little possessive of her position as head stewardess.

"I'll put these with the others. By the way, your papers are in your bag."

"I'll get them," the other girl said, going to find the bag. Her name was Miya and Aida hadn't even wanted to hire her in the first place. But change was afoot and with Jade busy handling the farm she could hardly ask her to travel and live so far away. Besides, the steward was vital at keeping things running when Aida was away, which recently had been quite a lot. What she had wanted was a ranger, someone to help her hunt and gather where it was she was going. And she had gotten that, Rumana Amiri sat outside the cottage, her breath steam in the November cold, polishing a wooden bow. Strongly built and no-nonsense, Aida knew she had found someone valuable right away as she perused the steward market in the town hall where all manner of staff could advertise themselves and meet potential employers.

"Please, I have a sister. Some of my wage will go to her, no extra, just food and board. She's very skilled, with music, court manners, with riding. No trouble."

Aida could tell the girl was dressed in her best clothes, too. She could believe it was a court outfit, in the style of one of the other viceroyalties. With hesitation, she had agreed, hoping it wasn't a mistake. The girl seemed perfectly versed in being a ladies maid though, although was a little of a fish out of water in Aida's cottage, surrounded by potion brewing and potato farming.

"Thanks," Aida said, taking the bag from Miya and rifling through. She spent some time by the fire, reading through and making notes before they sat down to eat, Jade serving perhaps a little resentfully the new employees. They were eating when a knock came at the door, with both Jade and Miya rising to answer it. They bustled almost comically for the door and Aida caught Rumana's eye and grinned.

"Good day, yes. I'm from the college, clerical staff for Redmoor county. The... only clerical staff for the county, actually. May I be presented to Lady Redmoor?" Said a voice at the door. They both turned and looked at Aida, who beckoned the visitor in. If she was surprised to see an elderly half elf bearing so many bags, he was possibly more surprised to see a Countess so covered in mud.

"I am Athir Sirrin, my Lady. Your new steward?"

Jade huffed and walked out of the back door.
Aida

Re: [IRP] Aida's Cottage

Post by Aida »

After the table was cleared, they worked through the night, Athir Sirrin pulling out parchment after parchment and explaining things in a careful way. She appreciated his unpatronising genuinity, it was rare in men of knowledge and skill.

"This is the income from the entire county. This part is paid to you, this part to the crown. This amount," he tapped gently on the parchment, "goes back into infrastructure, this to the various wages. Mostly the accounts look after themselves, the population isn't so high."

He pulled out a map and unfolded it, tilting it slightly towards the light of the fire.

"There's a mining settlement here, called Ashenhill. It's not much of a village but it is where the workers tend to drink after a days work, so there's a good inn and well, a couple of bawdy houses. The mine overseer and the permanent staff live there, however. I expect he'll want to meet with you."

He moved his hand and pointed to the baronies, "Wyvernston and Greyford, villages, they contribute to most of the food consumed by the county. They're quite a superstitious lot but when I've visited, everything seems above board. The accounts match up."

"And here is Redmoor Castle. I've actually never visited it myself, I believe it needs rennovations, it's been used as a guard post in the past. We should head there first, perhaps."

"Yes. So," she said, leaning back in her seat, "What are the problems?"

"Ah, yes. Well. To be frank with you, there hasn't been a governer in as long as I can remember. The villages have leaders, however, their priests. I expect they won't take kindly to change. And also... the witches."

She groaned inwardly, "Really?"

"They use the ruins on the heath for their ceremonies. To be frank once more, they're a menace. They leave the settlements alone, I'm not sure why, but often prey on travellers and camps. They're the reason the guard post hasn't been manned in months, they keep-"

"Yes, you don't need to tell me. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Anything else?"

He tapped his pen against his bearded chin, "Well... it's a curiosity."

"A curiosity?"

"There are too many deer."

"Sorry?"

"Well, there have always been a healthy amount of red and white deer on the heath and in the woods, I believe that's how the arms got to be a stag. But recently, I believe within the last few years, the deer population has exploded."

"Well... happy hunting for us?"

"Yes, but you see, the amount of deer is having an adverse effect on the entire landscape of the county. You see, the deer eat the lush grass on the edge of the woods to destruction, moving further and further in. They eat the grass on the banks of the streams and on the hills of the heath too. The grass holds together the land and without it, well. The forest becomes more barren and the heath becomes more desolate. The plants are eaten but they never get a chance to recover and grow again. You see?"

"I believe so, Master Sirrin. I believe this issue, we can remedy." She looked out of the window and yawned, "But it'll have to wait."

He nodded, "All in good time." He turned to pull out something from his bag and hand it over, "I have one last thing."

She took the velvet and pulled it back, looking up at Athir and back down. It was a brooch, the kind ladies pinned to their bodice or gentlemen to their doublets. Beautifully crafted, it was shaped as a hippogriff in silver, with golden wings and pearl grey enamelled hooves. A tiny drop of garnet hung from the tip of it's wing and its eye was set with a diamond.

"I thought perhaps the accounts could allow for this. According to legend, apparently there was a herd of hippogriff on Redmoor heath."

She looked up, "It's very beautiful, I'm... quite touched. But why?"

He leaned forward, "On occasion, it is prudent to make a certain impression. You'll find that with people at Ashenhill."
Jade

Re: [IRP] Aida's Cottage

Post by Jade »

They were leaving early, before even the hint of the dawn light could creep over the horizon. Used to being alone and quite liking the independence, Jade Woods had been mildly irritable at all of the sudden company descended on her. Master Sirrin, the county steward and technically higher in status than her was sleeping outside in the storage shed. She had not expected such a neat and orderly gentlemen to camp out as such and so he had earned her grudging respect by doing so. She thought he must not have any servants of his own, as he rose with her early to help light the fires and load the cart. That fine lady, Miyanda Amiri and her sister Rumana were up next, with the ranger sharpening her axe on a stool by the door, her breath steam in the December air.

When Aida arose, she went up with water, only to find that annoyingly fine lady Miyanda had done the job. They gave each other a competitive glance and Jade was supremely happy they were not to be living together.

The cart was packed and she gave Oona the donkey an affectionate rub before handing Aida her bag. She almost made a comment about the fine woolen dress she was wearing, pinned with a hippogriff brooch but decided not to, not wishing to appear disrespectful to the others. They gave each other a knowing glance though and Aida grinned as she pulled her steward in for a brief hug.

"I'll be back periodically. Take care of the farm, I know you always do. Mistress Copp has those ordered remedies in the drawer under the basin table, don't forget."

"I never do," Jade grinned back, waving the blue cart off as they trundled down the lane. She fixed her apron up and went back inside the warm house to do the days chores, relishing at having the cottage to herself again. A note of scratched lead had been left for her to nail to the door and she did so quickly after breakfast, as snow was beginning to swirl and soon the weather would be even more bitterly cold.
Aida is away! Any business can be done with the steward and personal letters should be attached to a very good owl and sent up north.
Aida

Post by Aida »

Aida returned early in day, pulling the away notice from the door and cracking it to call in before she entered. Jade appeared as she stepped in, dusting flour off her hands and curtseyed.

"Welcme home, my Lady. Uh, what happened to your hair?"

"Never mind that," she replied darkly, "Have you seen the courier?"

"He left half an hour ago, Mistr- I mean, my Lady. Do you want me to take something for you?"

"Yes. Can you deliver this letter to Mistress Penn? It's an order for some goats cheese and meat, I'm going to be staying a little while."

They caught a smile from one another and the steward curtseyed, taking the letter and hanging her apron on a hook by the door before heading out into the cold. Aida looked around the cottage, smiling. Still only one room, although Jade had valiantly tried to make it appear as though it was two by bringing in a partition to seperate the stairs from the kitchen. She headed up there and opened the curtains to her bed, jumping out of her skin as a figure moved into it. It was an old woman and Aida raised her eyebrows. Probably a relative of Jade's, down on her luck without a place to stay. Ah well, she wasn't tired anyway.

Quietly walking back downstairs, she pulled up one of the rather threadbare padded chairs up to the fire and stared into the flames, eventually, despite herself, dozing off.
Aida

Post by Aida »

A fire was cracking merrily in the grate when Aida returned, stamping the snow off her books and pushing the door open.

"Jade?" She called up to the loft.

"My lady!" Jade scurried down, throwing a shawl around herself and walking past her, towards the cart. Aida followed her and watched her unhitch Oona, leading the tired donkey into her lean too, which was surprisingly warm. Leaned up against the outside wall where the fireplace was and filled with fresh straw it was quite cosy. She then as Jade was pulling the cart into the shed, tutting at the scuff damage to the sides.

"Rough journey? Hey... what've you got there?"

"Long journey. And come in, I'll show you." She smiled and heaved up the object, wrapped in black wool, further into the crook of her arm with both hands, gesturing Jade to go ahead of her. It was bitterly cold outside, and she was once again relieved to be home. Setting down her package on the table, she opened it up and pulled down the wrapping to reveal a huge, opal coloured egg. It glinted in the light, and had tiny flecks of gold. Jade looked fascinated.

"What on earth is that?"

"It's a hippogriff egg! I bought it from my friend Katie, in Widu. I've always wanted one, because of the connection with Redmoor."

"Are you going to hatch it?"

"I'm pretty sure it's dead. Just an ornament, as the shell is so pretty. I thought I might take it back to Hunter's Cliff and display it in the dining room."

Jade nodded, "Well, there's no room for it here. Do you want me to take it out into the shed?"

"No, no. I don't want to break it. I'll just leave it here on the fireplace, for now."

Aida set it down gently on the stone flags, supported by the woolen cloth and nodded. She'd have to get a stand made for it. The cheese had been delivered, and Jade had taken down some smoked bacon for them to have. It sizzled away on the fire and Aida devoured it, before Jade took out the remains for pig swill and her mistress sighed contentedly and slid down in the threadbare armchair. She took out her letters for a while and went through them, before she felt her eyes start to droop in the warm cosiness of the cottage. Papers slipped from her hand as she fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

And on the hearth, the egg shifted a little.
Aida

Post by Aida »

Aida started awake. What time was it? She glanced out of the window and groaned quietly to herself, the sun was already setting and now there was a sleepless night in store, she knew. Rising and going over to the water barrel she filled a pan for tea, turning back to the fire.

She turned, and then jumped and yelled out, sending the pan full of water crashing all over the floor. Jade rushed in, "My Lad- Oh!"

On the hearth, where the hippogriff egg had been placed, was a mass of black fluff with two orange eyes peering out. It was actually quite terrifying, as the creature was covered in a thin layer of broken membrane and broken shell. It chirped.

"What should we do?" Jade whispered, quietly picking up a ladle from the side board.

"Oh, put that down," Aida grinned, "Fetch me my dragonskin gloves, just in case."

Gloves on, and carefully they both knelt down. Instinctively the black fluff snapped and attempted to jab her with his hard beak, but Aida persisted. Establishing dominance, she thought to herself. He allowed his head to be patted and she nodded with satisfaction.

"Well," said Jade, "That's something. So... what on earth do they eat?"
Aida

Post by Aida »

Clothes lay strewn everywhere, chests open displaying their contents and some stripped bare of them. The lady paced up and down and back and forth, her boots clunking on the new wooden floor and her shadow passing against the newly whitewashed walls. She hurried around, packing some of her belongings half heartedly before taking them out and replacing them with others. A hippogriff egg, pearly white was sat against the fire and she could hear Baxt young and panicking outside, as though he could sense frantic movement.

"I'm sure you will want for nothing over there, my Lady," Jade said slowly, her hands wringing a cleaning cloth again and again. Everything was a mess, a vase lay broken on the kitchen floor, its black and silver glaze in peices. "I'm sure it can be fixed."

"But it will never be the same," Aida said, her eyes open wide and angry. She moved about the kitchen once more, reaching for her kitchen knives. A door opened and Master Sirrin, her county steward stepped in, his livery ruffled and his hair unusual unkempt, "The carriage is here."

"What shall I do?" It was no use asking. They were quiet on this occasion, knowing what it meant for them both. Master Sirrin stepped out again. She reached for her box of letters, losing her grasp and watching as they floated to the floor. For a moment, it was as though time slowed, as one floated peacefully on the breeze. The door was open. Jade put a travelling cloak about her.

"The carriage is about to leave, Madam."

She strode over to the fireplace, looking down at the silver-white egg. Closing her eyes, she felt warm tears fall down her face for a moment. Just a moment, there had been plenty of that already. Master Sirrin had closed the door, and Jade was gathering up the peices of broken pottery.
Aida

Post by Aida »

Aida sat outside on a chair Jade had brought out, legs covered with a fur coverlet and beside her, a small table with a glass of mint tea and some medicinal chewing herbs. She was pale, but not really sick, except in that her mind was tired and ached against her skull in such a way she wished it would break forth and just have done with it. The pale March sun warmed her, however, as did the gurgles of Genevieve Vittoria, the latest orphan to be placed in her incredulous lap. This one for staying for a while, though. Jade and Miyanda, Aida's other attendant had done very well to help her county steward Athir Sirrin transform the yard which just a couple of days ago had been a building site into something that resembled a garden. Plants in great clay pots had begun to bloom and the tall evergreens Master Sirrin had placed either side of the door made her feel as though she were in an Athenan villa. He had since returned to Redmoor, but had left the dried herbs Aida now sat chewing, strangely pleasant that they were.

"We'll have to turn this into a real garden, grow some useful things," she murmured. Jade nodded. Both the girls sat playing with the baby on rush mats they had spread out and filled with cushions, although already Aida could see dirt on them. The cottage had grown from a one roomed deal with the loft upstairs, the main building had been absorbed into a larger house with a workshop next door to the kitchen and even a little hallway with the stairs in for people to walk into when they entered. Jade had her own room now, although custom dictated she often slept in the truckle bed next to Aida. And there was even a guest room, next to Aida's chamber above the bakery. Best of all though, was the fact she could turn the spare space upstairs into a real living area, like the long gallery at Hunter's Cliff which she often missed. Free to paint, sew, knit and play music in the light of hall Miyanda joked she might never leave again.

She did not know how close to the truth that might be, Aida though quietly to herself, as though shielding her thoughts from any that might be listening. She sipped her tea and stared out down the incline at the end of the yard to watch two small hippogriffs chase each other around a rather annoyed donkey. Smiling, she rose, gesturing for Jade and Miyanda to sit back down as they got up too and walked over to the fence. They immediately came up, snapping and flapping their wings, hoping for food.

"I have nothing," she said to them quietly, as they headbutting her hand again and again.

"My Lady," Miyanda called, gesturing her attention as she approached, "The monk is here from the temple. He says he's called Mayenne, he's here to help prepare your retreat."

"Yes," Aida replied, absentmindedly, "Alright, you had better show him in then."

She turned back to the paddock, and watched Oona grumpily take refuge in the newly built barn. The hippogriffs followed her in, and Aida turned slowly and headed back into the house.