[RP] The Steps of the Town Hall

Moderator: Community Team

Rowena

[RP] The Steps of the Town Hall

Post by Rowena »

Rowena strides silently up the steps of the Town Hall and turns purposefully to address the townsfolk meandering by.

"With 7 days to the next election in our capital city, I would like to announce that I, Rowena LeStrange of Bravia, will be seeking the Mayor's seat this upcoming term. My posted platform is as follows:
I am Rowena LeStrange of Bravia, seeking the position of Mayor of our fair capital next term with your support. Very simply, I wish to maintain a healthy environment for our town to grow and our townsfolk to thrive in. To do this I have two very simple goals: I would like to enact a basic law to protect the rightfully elected mayors of our city from hostile revolting, and I pledge to watch the markets carefully and work with our tradesmen, neighbors, and Mages to ensure we have the goods we need available. I will work daily and communicate regularly. Thank you for your consideration!
Although we are only recently established ourselves, we in Bravia are in a wonderfully unique position right now. We are here. We have many active folks working hard to gain the fields and workshops we need to attain greater self-sufficiency. Looking forward to the future, we should be in a position to be ready to assist, support, and lead our new neighbors forward towards that same goal."

Standing quietly, Ro surveys the folks who have turned an ear her way. "I'll be happy to answer any questions, or join another candidate in conversation if one steps forward before the polls close." Bobbing her head in thanks to the crowd, Ro steps back and waits.
TheGardener

Re: [RP] The Steps of the Town Hall

Post by TheGardener »

Will laws be created against those who wish to remove the rightfully elected mayor? What other things do you think we need right now?
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

Rowena nods to TheGardener's questions and clears her throat to address her queries.

"As I stated previously and have discussed in other venues I would very much like to enact a very basic law to protect the rightfully elected mayors of our city from hostile revolts and actions. I believe our townsfolk elect their chosen local leader to office, and we owe it to them to ensure the Mayor of their choice is allowed to perform the duties their neighbors empowered them to do; safely, and for their full term."

Rowena pauses to consider the second question. "As far as "other things"... do you mean legal matters and laws, specifically?

"As far as our Legal Corpus is concerned, there are some basic things we can and should preserve - like the right for our elected officials to serve unmolested in the capacities we charge them with - but we currently enjoy a very free existence here in Bravia and I have no desire to over complicate or over-legislate our lives here. In general I tend to prefer to weigh matters as they come up, as opposed to trying to guess what abuses might be wrought and preemptively legislate against every possible infraction. Of course, if anyone from our fair town steps forward with specific concerns or requests they will be addressed. Bravia saw the fractures caused in Paz when their elected Mayor was overthrown and we can learn from that lesson and address it now, having learned a few things from their challenges.

"As far as our markets, I believe we need to focus on ensuring we cultivate enough basic foods to support ourselves, then look for trading opportunities with others to further enhance our local market. We need to help our active townsfolk in securing workshops that can support bread production first, then other artisan industries as we grow. Strong Mentorship, good communication, and neighborly activity can take us far, but we'll all have to make an effort to support each other and grow our town together. Everyone has their own unique skills and experience that I'm sure we can put to work for the good of Bravia and our greater Viceroyalty."

Ro nods to TheGardener, hoping she answered her questions adequately.
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

A messenger taps Rowena on the foot and passes her up a note. She quickly scans it and, looking a little wide-eyed, straightens up and clears her throat.

"With 5 days to the end of the term it appears Mayor Ashlyn has just posted a series of new laws for our town only hours ago. Although I - and I'm sure many of you too - are thrilled the matter has finally been addressed, unfortunately this new development has occurred well after my application for candidacy was presented, making some of my initial platform statements rather moot!" Ro flushes and shoots an apologetic smile to the crowd.

"The new laws include revolt laws for both successful and unsuccessful unsanctioned revolt attempts, robbery, and several laws outlining compliance with court orders, laws, and contempt, all with very specific fines. Based on this very new and unexpected development I would like to update my previous words regarding the revolt law mentioned in my initial campaign statement: I will instead expand the scope of examination to review the new laws with with an eye towards streamlining and simplifying them where possible and reviewing and clarifying the fines and punishments.

Active residents interested in sitting in on the process will be welcome, and we'll update the town regularly on our progress as it unfolds. Work would begin immediately at the start of the new term in order to allow the revisions to be completed quickly, leaving the bulk of the term us to live with any updates. There will be no surprises. The entire exercise will be fully transparent to all townsfolk; much how I envision the Mayor's office if I'm elected."

Ro smiles with a shrug. She'll roll with it.
TheGardener

Post by TheGardener »

Will you be continuing the town council?
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

Ro smiles. "Actually, although I was invited to be on the Town Council and expressed interest, I never heard back and I assumed the Council never assembled. Perhaps the fact no Council members were ever announced publicly was a simple oversight?

"If a Council exists and the people on it are active I see no reason why it shouldn't continue, but perhaps in a more recognized capacity. I believe Bravians should be aware who their non-elected leadership is comprised of, and what their Mayoral appointees are working on."
Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn »

Rowena wrote:Ro smiles. "Actually, although I was invited to be on the Town Council and expressed interest, I never heard back and I assumed the Council never assembled. Perhaps the fact no Council members were ever announced publicly was a simple oversight?

Greetings Rowena, I must correct you on the above statement. I did indeed invite you to join the Town Council of Bravia, but you declined as you were "a little busy" and felt you would not be able to contribute in an active capacity. I still have your letter which I received after asking if you would like to join.

You did however offer your support and I am grateful.
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

Ro looks startled by the simultaneous tapping at her feet of a messenger and the voice of Bravia's current Mayor. Taking the note first she scans it and nods, then welcomes the Mayor to the steps.

"Greetings M'Lady Mayor. Yes this fine messenger confirmed your words, and mine own. I initially did except the offer with caveats on my time - which was rather occupied for a solid week of the past term - but after reading the note felt it the caveats may prove unhelpful so I opted to offer my support in a more general capacity. I never received a response so it is indeed nice to hear that the support was accepted and welcome." Ro bobbed her head in thanks.

"Mayor, these are in fact your town steps as well. Please feel free to speak to your people, perhaps introduce them to your work and progress this past term?" The citizens of Bravia were truly blessed to have a choice this election, and what a great opportunity to hear from both candidates. Ro withdrew to the side to allow Mayor Ashlyn the crowd's complete focus, if she wanted it.
TheGardener

Post by TheGardener »

I am glad to see two candidates myself. :)
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

"Thank you all who participated and voted this election!

I'll be setting up an office shortly. In the meantime:
1) We do have an immediate opening for a Mentor for our lovely city. Previous experience nice but not necessary; enthusiasm and daily activity a must. :) If interested, please let me know.
2) If you were active in our previous Town Council and are interested in continuing please contact me (IG or forum mail)."