[ORP] The Soothsayer

Moderator: Community Team

Nameri

[ORP] The Soothsayer

Post by Nameri »

Walking the road into Imperius is a young woman in her early twenties. From a distance she appears to be blind, tapping her staff in front of her to feel the road. As she walks closer, you see that she is, in fact, blindfolded. She seems to know where she is going, however.

Hung about her are various trinkets, bangles, beads and other shamanistic items. Other than that, she carries very little. She is clad in leather, and the skin that shows is here and there tattooed with esoteric designs.

Her history, should anyone ask it, is this. At a young age she began to show signs of the Sight, and was therefore prenticed to an old Cunning Woman near her village. She learned to read and write, and of herb lore, midwifery, animal husbandry and other arcane skills. And one day, amid great ritual, the old woman covered Nameri's eyes, to aid the Sight by removing the distraction of more mundane vision, and so she became Seer in her own right.

And so she walks to the city to find employment. The fates have willed that her steps will take her to Imperius. A good place to begin her career; there will doubtless be young girls wanting their fortunes told, people with sick animals to tend, and babes to be birthed. Who knows what her future will bring? The seer, of course, has visions of her future, and that of others. They are vague, seen as if through ripples on water. But in her own future she sees a home, and a profession other than that of soothsayer, which will keep food in her belly. She will be comfortable. She sees faces in her future; some friendly, some not. She sees a long and happy life in Fenia.

At last she arrives. She almost feels the sharp intake of breath as the guards see she is blindfolded. They are doubtless familiar with the customs in her part of Fenia, and know that it means someone who can See.

"Fear not, guardsmen. I See no black clouds above you."

She passes between them as they mumble their thanks for a free prediction, and Nameri enters the city.
balerion

Re: [ORP] The Soothsayer

Post by balerion »

What does it mean if my tail was tinted pink this morning? Someone in the local pub kept talking about it...
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Nameri

Post by Nameri »

Nameri hears the man ask for advice. She thinks a moment, and replies.

"Perhaps a wizard with a sense of humor. Or a fondness for decoration."
Nameri

Post by Nameri »

Nameri works her wheat field. One may wonder how a blindfolded woman can be so sure of where she is going. But she has the Sight, and a good sense of touch. Even so, she listens carefully when wielding the scythe. She carries the wheat in bundles to the market, and asks what is the lowest price currently listed, and then lists her own wares at the same price. At least this way she can be sure she is not overcharging, and she has never been too bothered about a huge profit.

She leans on her staff and licks her lips. Time for a drink.
Eira

Post by Eira »

Eira was carrying a basket full of eggs and oranges to the market. Images of cheap corn filled her mind and she passed a strange woman who was blindfolded. Eira stopped walking and turned around. She hurried back as it seemed the woman was heading somewhere. "Hello.. I don't think we've met before. Let me introduce myself, I'm Eira, chicken breeder, carpenter and the king's cook. Are you a visitor here?"