[ORP] A strong condemnation of the Bravian Legal system

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Marcus_Aurelius

[ORP] A strong condemnation of the Bravian Legal system

Post by Marcus_Aurelius »

Marcus strode forth to the doors of the courts, incredulous at the reply he had received from the Public prosecutor, he couldn't believe the utter drivel his eyes had just suffered through reading, he was a man experienced with the courts and their systems and from what he could see, this was a shocking sham of a legal system "one of the men is a family friend" and what was essentially "I don't want to charge an old person, because a new person is the one raising the issue" he thought Nepotism would be rife in the Monarchy to the North west, not in the land that was a supposed Republic! With a huff he flipped over a nearby crate and stood upon it, brandishing the letter in his hand above his head a look of thunder etched on his face

"People of Bravia hear me! Look at how justice is dealt within these lands! Two men who harm a town through their neglect and incompetence manage to walk free purely because the Public Prosecutor knows them as a "Family friend!" what kind of legal system is that, would she be happy if they were to murder people as one of them is a "Family friend", where does the line get drawn? Where does "Family friend" appear in the legal texts. I tell you, no where does it! At least she had the good grace to say she has no issue in being replaced, I call upon you all to join me in making sure the council sorts this out! Without making it into some sort of kangaroo court!
Sofie

Re: [ORP] A strong condemnation of the Bravian Legal system

Post by Sofie »

Duke and Sofie appear on the scene as Duke Breathes a sigh out through his nostrils and focus's his gaze on Sofie.
----

The law you are citing does specifically say "intentionally".

Inadvertent harm caused by the best of intentions paving a road 'south' rather than 'north' or the best laid plans of mice and men running amok, is not illegal as a punitive response to someone trying to help and being unsuccessful in the attempt would indeed discourage people from trying to help rather than encourage them - and sometime mistakes and failures are the best ways to learn and grow.

Brother Gawain is a Priest of Mucaz; sworn to certain oaths etc. - and so we too will attest that any fallout from his time as mayor is more likely due to inexperience with the corruption management system; something temples did not have until just this past week or so, rather than to any maliciousness on his part.

Nevertheless, if you feel your town is owed compensation for losses incurred during the term, I, that is to say, he (Sofie points to Duke) would be glad to arrange a transfer of 500F to your TH on behalf of the Order of Mucaz.
-Banner by Scarlet Theme
Marcus_Aurelius

He angrily waved the paper in the direction of the pair "Intentionally? His neglect was intentional! He had ample opportunity to reach out and ask for help and avoid the "inadvertent harm" but he chose not too and just did a mistake after a mistake after a mistake! Inexperience is not an excuse for incompetence, anyone who realised they did not have a handle on the corruption would reach out an ask for help, yet I see no evidence of that happening at all! And furthermore it's not about the money and compensation anymore, I'd have gladly taken you up on the offer earlier but now...noooooooooow" he gestured wildly to the court house "After this mockery, this sham of a legal system, taking or denying cases on favouritism and friends?! I will not stand for it, the sheer principle of the matter. I reject your offer and I will see this through the courts!"
Wyllow

Post by Wyllow »

She was still laughing as she wandered down the road only to hear the loud clambering of a voice ranting and raving.. and it dawned on her this was the foolish soul that the letter had come from.

Seriously? She stops up and clutches her sides, as she felt a stitch from the laughter. It was unreal the brass tacks of some. Are you for real?? She let out a laughs that resembled a howl. I woke up one morning and was put in this stinking ridiculous office with not even a lick of warning or training, and you want me to put charges against a family friend? She laughed again.

Fine by me. Fine me. Jail me. I could care less. The people that he was trying to bring charges against were revered in their community for many years and wouldn't harm a creature unless there was a serious need. Unbeknownst to this buffoon she had even defended the new comer, because everyone deserved a chance, but all it seems was this one wanted nothing more than to ruffle feathers and cause a ripples in lakes! She shook her head to move on, but stopped short to cast over her shoulder...

And, one other thing. That will be the last time I ever stick up for a new comer to Bravia, when it looks as though all he wants is to stir up trouble. with that, she wandered away. She truly didn't care what happened. It had been good for a laugh though.
Marcus_Aurelius

He paused as she came down the road he was agog at the fact she so brazenly asked to be fined and jailed, even admitting in plain sight of other members of the public that she had refused to level charges against someone as he was a family friend! As she wandered away, Marcus found his senses coming back to him and was once more endowed with the gift of speech, yet again brandishing the paper high above his head he shouted after her "You will get what's coming! I will SEE justice served!!"
Morjiana

Post by Morjiana »

Morjiana stepped forward from the shadow where she'd watched events unfold and tossed a book of law at Marcus' feet. It landed with a heavy thump.

"Lower your voice, young man," she said sternly, "and comport yourself in a manner becoming of an elected official. Charges have been filed in the complaints against Gawain and Buzadam, in a manner that best honors both the letter and the spirit of our laws. I am curious as to your complaint against Wyllow, though. Your behavior makes it seem more of a temper tantrum than an actual concern for the law being violated." She gave the man a thin lipped glare and awaited a response.
~ Morjiana Sanchari of Chere ~ Seer, Busybody, Matriarch ~
Grayson

Post by Grayson »

Grayson had been out traveling with his wife Alexandria and had just heard the news that Gawain and Buzdam had been charged with betrayal. Of all the people for that to be levied against, this was ludicrous. He made he way to the boards, he had to see the charges himself. Having been a mayor of Bravia on Multiple occasions he knew that corruption and that crazy clerical staff could be and a lot of the times were a hard road to walk. Then he saw the third set of charges and had a bit of a melt down. A prosecutor who had just told him she would not prosecute the case due to bias and friendship and he threw a fit wanting to charge her as well. Grayson shook his head and headed back the way he had come.

As he walked by he heard a man yelling, as he had not yet met this Marcus_Aurelius, he did not realize it was him. Grayson heard the man yelling about the court cases that the VR was working on. Walking over he made himself known to the man and introduced himself a bit."Greetings Sir My name is Grayson Black, a former Viceroy and Mayor for Bravia." He nodded to the man and

I understand two of the three cases that you have brought to the courts but not the third one. Third set of charges that you have levied against Wyllow should not have been levied. She told you up front that she would not prosecute the case due to bias. That in it's self is good character as she is telling you up front that she has a personal connection with the people. Is it intentionally hurting any thing no Sir!Grayson stood for a moment pondering his words, hoping he was not coming off in an accusatory tone. He looked down at the man for a few moments and continued, As a former Mayor i understand your concern for the situation in Paz, It has happened in Bravia as well. It is a hard thing to deal with and can be time consuming. So i understand where you are coming from, but did you inquire of the creatures before taking it to the courts, did you ask of them what had happened and what else they had done to help or work on the situation? Grayson watched the man, I think if it was me I would pull my charges against Wyllow as she was being upfront and honest in excusing herself from prosecuting the case. If given the time she would have done so in the Council room but, that is me and it is your decision. Grayson nodded at the gentleman and stepped back a bit to ponder more on the situation.