[CRP] Of Harts and Pears

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Rhozin

Re: [CRP] Of Harts and Pears

Post by Rhozin »

He smiled at her comment on the green fields and trees in the distance. The beach on which they were standing was black, courtesy of the volcanic eruption that struck Kiene some ten years ago.

"Welcome to Kiene," he said.

A moment later, they were seated in the carriage his parents had sent, travelling northeast to his family's estate. As Cordelia started to feel better, Rhozin pointed out things in their surroundings he thought worth mentioning.

"On the other side of the river is a large forest. We may go hunting there some time. The west shore is famous for a wild pear variety that's great for making stew in winter. The fruits fall into the river late in autumn and are collected by the villagers who live near the river bank. If you follow the river upstream, you'll find the mountain range where I used to go hiking. In spring, the meadows are full of wildflowers. Goats who graze there give the most amazing cheese. It smells like old sweaty troll feet but it goes great with perry. Eh, and with any kind of wine, too, I would say."

As they rode on through the green landscape that was scattered with volcanic rocks every now and then, he pointed out various villages, temples and hilltop manors until at last, when the sun sat low in the sky, they arrived at his family's estate. Luscious green hills, with rows of pear trees as far as the eye could see. Following a winding road through the orchards, the carriage finally came to a halt near a manor erected in red and white brick. Not at all as impressive as Cordelia's home, Rhozin realised, but it was still the home he had grown up in and it held a lot of fond memories.

"Welcome to Antosachladiásshire," he said, using the proper Kienian pronunciation of the name. He offered Cordelia a warm smile.
Ta achládia den orimázoun móna tous. Étsi orimásame mazí.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia listened with great intrigue as they traversed the countryside. The bouncing of the carriage was not distracting from the scenery; she was far too focused on everything else. She was out of Fenia - even more, she was in Kiene. The concept was strange. She never thought about traveling to Kiene nor did she ever think that she would someday have to find a home there. She did not dwell on the latter, instead focusing on the joy of what was to be their honeymoon. (At least, she hoped it'd be joyous.) She found his narration cute and admired his clear love for pears, even if she could not enjoy them herself.

When he mentioned goat cheese, she felt heat rise to her cheeks. It was a good thing she was looking out the window as a sense of embarrassment warmed her chest. It reminded her of the conversation she had not had too long ago with her cousin. When Zuan told her about the arrangement, Cordelia had recounted the rumours she had once heard about Kienians, or more specicially, the Gellygen family... Warts and all. Perhaps the rumours were true, but not in the way she had expected.

"Do you enjoy goat cheese?" She asked innocently, grey eyes still focused on the outside. In comedic timing, a goat farmer was guiding his goats into a pasture alongside the road. The goats looked up at the carriage and suddenly she felt like there were a dozen wild eyes on her, seeing into the past and the concerns she once had about the man she was to wed. As her question was asked, she tried to recall any times she had seen him eat or decline goat cheese, but in truth, she could not. It was not a staple in the Hart Helm household; neither Everhart women loved it and it was more expensive. They were content with "ordinary" cow cheese.

When the estate of Antosachladiásshire came into view, a smile grew. It was starkly different to the old fortress of Hart Helm, but she fell in love with it before the carriage even stopped. Perhaps, when they someday had to live in the land of pears, it would not be so bad. However, the sense of excitement was now replaced by nerves. She had met her in-laws already, of course - his parents, sister, and a few aunts and uncles had attended the wedding. The mingling of families seemed to go well. Well enough that Alice had invited the parents and sister to remain at Hart Helm for a few extra days. It was for duel purpose: they could get to know each other better and it would give the newlyweds a few days in Antosachladiásshire alone before their travels begun.

"You have a beautiful home, Rhozin," The young woman said truthfully. "The orchards are stunning and I love the brick."

Hart Helm was stone as was much of Fenia due to their natural resources. The red and white brick was luring, beckoning for new adventures in a new land. She was getting giddy, nerves chased out when the carriage finally stopped. He got out first before offering his hand to assist her. She accepted and once her feet were firmly on the ground, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath of Kienian air. When she reopened her eyes, she found Rhozin right beside her, closer than she realized. The awkwardness of newlyweds nestled between them for a brief moment before she prompted, "Can we roam the orchards first? I would like to enjoy the fresh air a bit longer."
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Big Sister to Elisabeth “Elisa” | Cousin to High King Zuan, Thea, & more
Married to Rhozin Gellygen of Kiene | Mother of Winter Pearle and Keir
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

Rhozin smiled, glad to hear Cordelia's approval of his homeland. Even more important to him was the honesty in her voice. Her comment wasn't a mere product of good upbringing.

"I'd love to show you around the orchard," he said. "And we can do that first. That is, as long as..."

His words were cut off by a voice calling out his name. An older, plump woman came rushing over to the newlywed couple and wrapped Rhozin in a strong hug, nearly pushing Cordelia aside in order to do so. Rhozin returned the hug with a smile, then carefully freed himself from the woman's embrace to address his wife.

"Cordelia, this is Mrs Efthymi, the housekeeper. She has been with our family since before I was born and often looked out for me and my sister. Mrs Efthymi, this is the beautiful wife I've told you about."

It was true Rhozin was very fond of the housekeeper. She was like family to him. This was, however, not an ideal moment to introduce her to Cordelia. Rhozin quietly cursed himself. He should have told her about the woman on their way over. He had no idea how Cordelia would respond to housekeepers who didn't quite behave like could be expected of the average servant.

Mrs Efthymi made a small curtsy as she offered Cordelia a warm smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, dear Lady Cordelia," she said with a thick accent typical of the Kienean highlands. "I trust your travels were without troubles. Have you eaten enough, my dear?"

Flashing an apologetic smile, Rhozin moved Mrs Efthymi's arm away before she could reach up to squeeze Cordelia's cheek.

"Yes, we've eaten plenty, but I'd really like you to have some refreshments prepared for later. Cordelia and I are a little stiff from the carriage ride. We'd like to stretch our legs and go for a walk through the orchards together."

"Nonsense, Rhozin!" Mrs Efthymi's voice sounded quite shocked. "You cannot treat a guest like that, let alone your wife. She must be terribly hungry and thirsty after such a long trip. Men don't know these things! I will have the kitchen staff bring refreshments right this instant. Will you have these in the drawing room or outside in the garden?"

"In the garden, please."

Mrs Efthymi nodded her agreement, turned and strode back inside, while other servants came out to tend to the carriage and the luggage, greeting Rhozin and Cordelia with the more to be expected "Milord, milady."

As soon as the housekeeper was out of sight, Rhozin took Cordelia's hand and set off running for the nearest pear trees, ignoring any possible sounds of surprise or protest from her.
Ta achládia den orimázoun móna tous. Étsi orimásame mazí.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia watched the greeting between lord and housekeeper with interest. How nobility treated their staff said a lot about an individual. The fondness between them was apparent, reminding her of her and Maiur. She withheld a sigh, realizing how much she missed him. The thought was brief as the housekeeper addressed her.

She smiled brightly, trying to match the energy. Grey eyes flicked up to Rhozin while he spoke, watching his facial expressions as he did so. He did care about this woman, but he seemed a bit… overwhelmed? Like a man trying to prove himself as an adult and no longer a child. She could relate to that.

When the housekeeper turned to the home, he took her hand. With initial surprise, she went along with him, holding her skirt in her other hand to keep up. She was rather short, so her strides had to be twice to keep up with him. The future lady of these lands found herself laughing as they entered the orchards. Their run slowed, allowing her to refocus on her surroundings while her chest heaved up and down to catch her breath. Yeah

The orchard was breathtaking. Pears hung from branches like artwork. Some were a bit red, bringing more colour to the bright greens and browns of the trees. It felt like she had stepped into a painting. She had never seen pear trees before, least of all so many. She was glad she requested to see them before going into the confines of the brick home. She breathed in deeply, relishing the unique scent of the trees and their white blossoms. There were few flowers left on the trees as the pears were growing, but just enough to add to the dimension of the orchard.

“It’s beautiful.”

Cordelia approached a nearby tree to admire it closer. It was so tempting to reach up and grab a pear, betting the juicy fruit would taste amazing. And yet, she knew she was allergic and did not wish to spend her first day on Kienian land with hives covering her body. So instead, she simply looked up in awe. The bright sun warmed her cheeks and brought out the red in her dark hair. Her white Fenian-style dress echoed the blossoms. Surprisingly, she did not feel out of place.

Maybe becoming the Lady of Anthosachladiásshire wouldn’t be so bad. It couldn’t be in such a place of beauty.
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Big Sister to Elisabeth “Elisa” | Cousin to High King Zuan, Thea, & more
Married to Rhozin Gellygen of Kiene | Mother of Winter Pearle and Keir