[CRP] A Trip To The Highlands

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Aileigh

[CRP] A Trip To The Highlands

Post by Aileigh »

Since the new year, the Sanchari Winterbourne women had planned a trip to visit the mysterious Highlands of Fenia. Specifically, they would be visiting its Viscountess, Cordelia. Family and friend, the young women wanted to support Cordelia’s deserved placement of Viscountess and explore the more wild side of Fenia. With winter past, the day came to load up into a carriage and make the trip down the coastline from Ettinford to the Highlands.

The terrain gradually shifted from low beaches to cliff faces. Even the trees and other vegetation looked different as they grew closer to the heart of the Highlands. Aileigh enjoyed watching the passing landscape. The children did as well as expected, growing restless every so often and sleeping between those moments. It was a task to keep them occupied at times; that was the downside of having so many young children. They grew restless and bored easily. The group stopped a few time to stretch their legs, but they made good time.

After two days of travel, the wondrous Clogwyn Keep came into view. Built into the side of a cliff, Cordelia’s description of it was accurate and yet, did not prepare Aileigh for seeing the unique build. She couldn’t wait to explore the inside!

As the carriage came to a halt, Aileigh eagerly got out with the assistance of Andrzej. The nanny dismounted her horse to aid with the unloading of the children. Zevander was on his feet, but Lenora was in Aileigh’s arms and the twins balanced carefully by the nanny, one on each hip.

They were immediately greeted by Cordelia and Rhozin, who had enough notice from the high perspective of the Keep to stop whatever they were doing and meet them outside. Little Winter was nowhere to be seen, presumably already put to bed, the setting sun behind them casting dimming light and colour across the ocean.

“Hello guys!!” Aileigh greeted enthusiastically. She approached them, exchanging hugs with both friends. Cordelia was of similar age and had some of the same hobbies, creating a quick bond between the two women. It was nice for Aileigh to have friends in Fenia, even if it were just the Everhart sisters, Cordelia and Elisa, aside from her wife. With her family in Bravia, she could use the support the friendships offered. The damphyr‘s excitement was evident as bright eyes flicked from the other viscountess to Keep behind them. “Thanks for having us. This is going to be a nice week, I can feel it!”
Aileigh Mae Maarah Sanchari Winterbourne | Seer of BDR | Viscountess of Ettinford
Wife to Thea | Mother of Zevander, Corabel, Elodie, Lenora, Ezra, & Imogen
Daughter of Aishe & Akos
| Sanchari Family [Profile]
Thea

Re: [CRP] A Trip To The Highlands

Post by Thea »

Traveling with children always highlighted the side of Thea that had been firmly against having children ever. Yet, here she was traveling with her wife and four children. Four little squirmy kids with another on the way. It was shocking how she had managed to get herself into this situation. Aileigh was good with the children though so it was not usually difficult for Thea to manage. Being confined with everyone in a small carriage was where things became tricky.

Her wife did her best to contain and entertain the oldest three. Their oldest, Zevander, had tried to climb onto her lap a few times before being redirected by Aileigh. The boy looked so much like his father, it occasionally caused Thea to flashback to what had happened with the baker’s son. These moments were brief, but they always caused a tightness to swell in Thea’s chest.

Finally, after two days of travel, the Sanchari Winterbourne family arrived at Clogwyn Keep. It was a magnificent sight, although Thea could hardly enjoy the view as she had grown tired and weary after so much travel. Everyone else disembarked the carriage before her leaving Thea to sit by herself for a moment. She took a deep steadying breath before climbing out of the carriage after them. Andrzej was at Ailiegh’s side with the children and the nanny, causing an inexplicable pang of annoyance in Thea. She tried not to linger on the feeling or worry about its meaning. Instead, she moved forward to greet her cousin and Rhozin.

“Good evening, you two. Thank you for having us."
Dorathea "Thea" Sanchari Winterbourne | Lady of Redcroft Manor | The Red Wolf
Cousin of the Winterbournes | Mother of Zevander, Corabel, Elodie, & Lenora | Wife of Aileigh
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia was excited to have guests.

Ever since receiving the viscounty, she felt a bit isolated. The Highlands was its own entity with foreign, rich culture she had since learned. It was on the very edge of Fenia, which worked well because it meant they were closer to Kiene and her in laws. On the other hand, she was further from her own family. Thankfully, the Hartlands were only a half a day away, so at the very least, she could visit her mother easily or vice verse.

She had not had many visitors nor did she get to visit the royal court as frequently as she used to. The King came and visited when she was situated, but besides her mother and Elisa, there had been no one else. (Not that Cora really had friends to begin with.) So, the visit of Aileigh and Thea was particularly exciting. She didn’t blame them for not visiting sooner - it took her a while to adjust to the Highlands and get things in working order, then winter swept in. It was surprisingly brutal in the Highlands. Snow covered cliffs abound, it made travel difficult. That hindered the people of the Highlands and its viscountess. Still, she was able to escape for a week to visit Ettinford for Lenora’s birth. Supporting her cousin was important to her. Thea was the closest friend she had and family meant everything to the young woman.

Cordelia was sitting in the living room with Rhozin when her steward came to find her. From the high vantage point, they were able to spot the arriving carriage easily and Beatrice came to tell them of its approach. Winter was already asleep, having been put to bed early due to fussiness, so her parents had some peace and quiet that evening. Winnie had grown to be a handful with her abilities as strong as she was stubborn. It took patience while they tried to understand her gifts and manage it. She was only two, which came with its own complications. She would prove to be a powerful airbender, Cora believed.

The viscountess rose to her feet swiftly, eager to greet the new chaos that they were welcoming into their home. (Nothing like having five children three and younger!) Together, wife and husband headed outside. The evening air had a slight chill with the sun disappearing beneath the sea. The salty air was refreshing from the old stone Keep.

Cordelia exchanged hugs with Aileigh and smiled warmly at Thea, withholding a hug in lieu of her cousin’s preferences.

“Welcome to Clogwyn Keep! Let us give you a tour!” She beckoned them to follow her as she turned around and retraced her steps inside. She began the tour with enthusiasm, saying, “I hope the travels weren’t too much.”

The comment was in reference to the children.

She dove into the tour, proud to call Clogwyn Keep her home. It was old, built into the cliff side with white stone and grey roof. It somehow stuck out as distinct and yet blended in with the landscape, especially in the snow. The entry halls were lined with four flags - one of the royal House Winterbourne, one of the Gellygen family, one of the Everhart’s stag, and finally the horned wolf, which represented the Viscountess herself.

When the tour concluded, they found themselves in the living room. The children had stayed up in the guest room with the nanny, who had the task to put everyone to bed with the aide of Cordelia’s nanny. This left both sets of parents child free and available to socialize.

Cordelia poured everyone a drink and passed them out, a perry for her husband and guests, with a lemon vodka for her due to her allergy to pears.

“It’s really good to see you two. What do you think of my home?”

See fully written out tour here.
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Big Sister to Elisabeth “Elisa” | Cousin to High King Zuan, Thea, & more
Married to Rhozin Gellygen of Kiene | Mother of Winter Pearle and Keir
Aileigh

Post by Aileigh »

The tour was enjoyable. It was awesome to see the inside of the castle and its unique layout. It was a strange shape, long and narrow, bent halfway through, and yet its uniqueness aided in its beauty. It was old, full of history forgotten, which intrigued the damphyr. Oh if only the walls could talk, the stories they must speak of. She yearned to know the impossible tales of the past, but they would elude her due to time. She had to accept it, her romanticism filling in the blanks with tales of the past viscounts.

She settled into a comfortable couch with Thea, bright eyes flicking along the room’s occupants. It was just the four of them, leading her to wonder where Andrzej wandered off to, but she was not worried on it either. Filled with a sense of ease, she leaned into the cushions. She accepted the drink, but held it without taking a sip. She was pregnant and knew alcohol was a poor choice for the fetus, yet she couldn’t yet being herself to tell her friends. A wave of nausea did not help. Her morning sickness, thus far, had been minimal but it was rearing an ugly head.

“I love it! It’s so different. The Keep is much older than my estate, that’s for sure. Find anything interesting when you moved in?”
Aileigh Mae Maarah Sanchari Winterbourne | Seer of BDR | Viscountess of Ettinford
Daughter of Aishe & Akos
Thea

Post by Thea »

Cousins Dorathea and Cordelia Winterbourne lived parallel lives. Both had lost their fathers at a young age. Both had the expectations and responsibilities of being a Winterbourne placed on their shoulders. And yet, despite being on two similar paths they were very different individuals. Thea's rebellious spirit had tempered slightly as she left her teenage years for adulthood, but she was never labeled 'responsible.' Cora on the other hand was very responsible. She thrived on honoring her parents and the family as a whole. That was why Cordelia was granted a Viscountcy and Thea was not.

As Cordelia showed the visitors around the estate, Thea could see her cousin’s pride for Clogwyn Keep and the Highlands ebbing up. Much like Aileigh with Ettinford, Cora fit right into the role she had been given as Viscountess of the Highlands.

When the tour was concluded, the children had been left to settle into the guest room with the nannies and the adults (minus Andrzej) had found their way to the living room.

"Your home is lovely, not that I would expect anything less for the King's favorite cousin. Plus no one could deny that you are the ideal candidate for looking after these lands."

Thea answered Cordelia's question with praise. As drinks were passed out, her eyes wandered over to her wife. Aileigh held the glass in her hand but did not take a sip. Clearly she did not know how to reject the offering without drawing attention to herself. With a few quick gulps Thea downed her glass. She reached out her hand to Aileigh to indicate she should pass the glass to her.

"Do you mind? It has been too long since I have had a decent drink. Lenora did not need me drowning her in liquor, of course."
Cousin of the Winterbournes | Mother of Zevander, Corabel, Elodie, & Lenora | Wife of Aileigh
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia beamed as her cousin praised her. It was no secret she was Zuan’s “favourite” relative, but receiving the viscounty was unexpected. She was to be lady of the Hartlands (after her mother of course). She did not expect any special treatment, but she would be lying if she did not say she appreciated the title. She was the responsible Winterbourne who dedicated her life to the service of Fenia, just as her father had. He served as a brave knight, while she served as caretaker to a dangerous and culturally rich land.

She did not bat an eye when Thea asked for Aileigh’s drink, which was handed over promptly. When she went to pour a second drink for her friend, Aileigh spoke up, “Some tea would do be well. Does the Highlands have any speciality teas?”

Again, this seemed like a normal request and inquiry. Cordelia nodded, answering, “A blackberry tea, in fact. Blackberries run wild here; the soil springs them up like weeds. Much of the specialty foods and drinks are blackberry related for that reason. It is a delicious tea!”

Cora then stepped out of the room and flagged down a servant, requesting a pot of blackberry tea to be brought to the living room. She returned moments later and answered Aileigh’s initial question.

“There was a lot of culture found within the Keep when we first arrived, left behind by the old viscounts. There were some familial flags that I kept, even though they had seen the test of time. And more interestingly, there were some old books — history books and tales of the Highlands. I’ve already put them aside for you to browse, as I know you enjoy reading.

How goes things at Ettinford? Lenora seems to be growing like a weed and I can’t believe how big the twins are getting. I’m sorry we couldn’t come to visit for their first birthdays; I’ve been busy with local things.”
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Aileigh

Post by Aileigh »

Aileigh appreciated Cordelia’s eagerness to share the local tea, feeling a sense of relief. She was not ready to tell them she was pregnant. Thanks to the save her wife provided, she didn’t have to tell them quite yet. A part of her wondered if Cordelia would be happy or dismayed, knowing that the young woman was desperate to grow her own family and having no such luck following the birth of their daughter. The doubts were faint, knowing it was far more likely for her friend to be happy for her.

Her ears perked up when Cordelia told her about the books. Intrigued, she leaned forward.

“I would love to read through them, thank you. I want to get to know the mysterious Highlands.”

The old viscounty had been vacant for so long that the culture seemed to grow independent from Fenia. Or at least, that was her understanding.

“I was thinking - maybe tomorrow we can go on a long ride? I’d love to see the landscape and meet the Highlanders.”

“Absolutely! That’ll be easy to arrange. I was also going to ask if you all wanted to go hunting. It’s a great time of year for it.”

Admittedly, Aileigh had never been hunting before. She knew it was Cordelia’s favourite pastime though, so she was willing to go along for the ride if it would please their host. So, she smiled and glanced at Thea.

“Sure. It’s fine with me.”
Daughter of Aishe & Akos
Thea

Post by Thea »

The second glass of perry was readily handed over to Thea so she now sat with a drink in each hand. It was almost like old times. Aileigh requested tea instead of perry which might have raised questions if it was Thea, but for Ailiegh this was not an out-of-the-ordinary request.

The conversation moved on naturally and her cousin mentioned the Sanchari Winterbourne children. Thea took a drink from one of the glasses before commenting.

"Did you notice what color Nora's hair was growing in? Your mother will be pleased I am sure."

Her wife then suggested a ride through the wild Highlands before Cordelia countered with the offer of a hunting excursion. Hearing this Thea snorted while she was taking a sip of her perry and promptly spewed the alcoholic liquid out through her nose. She coughed several times before managing to compose herself.

"Aileigh, might not be aware of my history, but surely my dear cousin is aware of my track record with heavy weapons."

It was only a few years ago that Thea had been given instruction on archery by a highly skilled trainer. She had on multiple occasions tried to aim at the annoying man, missing widely when she did so. A few times when she had genuinely tried to take aim at the target, she nearly hit the man. Finally, he quit and refused to be her instructor anymore when she had nearly skewered his head.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia knew very well her cousin’s archery attempts, also known as attempted murder. Thea’s poor skills mildly amused the best hunter in the family. Cora shook her head with a laugh, saying, “I never said I’d give you a bow. I value my head too much.”

She paused, taking a sip of her drink. “That said, we can skip the hunting in lieu of riding. I thought I’d offer.

We can go to Arium City to do some local shopping. It’s the walled city just down the hill. It has a port, so you can find a lot of interesting stuff brought from other continents outside of Pandora.

And then maybe I can show you all Fort Cordelia, named after yours truly. It was in near ruins when I first came here. It’s fully renovated and functioning now.

Annnnnd then!”
The young woman’s excitement was apparent. “Finynys Isle is fantastic. It has white beaches and a rich independent culture of its own. We can spend a day there. This side of the Highlands’s accessible beaches are sparse due to the cliff sides.”
Aileigh

Post by Aileigh »

Aileigh rose an eyebrow to Thea’s statement. Cordelia was quick to move on, bringing her to nod along with the suggested plans.

“That all sounds lovely, Cora.” She chimed in, smiling. She was eager to explore the Highlands. It was a unique corner of Fenia.

Her attention then turned to her partner, eyebrows once again raised. “I’d love to hear about this history of yours, dear wife. I can’t say I’ve had the pleasure of hearing this tale.”
Daughter of Aishe & Akos