kangaroos and Courts don't mix

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Deslock

kangaroos and Courts don't mix

Post by Deslock »

I am flabbergasted at the total lack of professionalism in Edward_Spike , Mayor of Imperious.

By bringing charges against as citizan for the vague charge of 'hoarding' is a gross abuse of judicial powers.

There is no law to speak of. At least not one that is clear and defined with limits and sentance recomendations. What we do have is an Edict. What is that but a policy? Certainly not a law. One case has already been tossed aside due to this undefined 'edict', I say there should be 2.

This is a farce. Not only is there no enforceable law, the mayor has used poor judgement in publishing the contents of a travel grant , there by showing to the world the wealth of a private citizan. Is there no professional ethics to this mayor? Certainly we should have trust in our elected officials when they issue travel grants. Trust that they will not tell every Tom, Dick and Harry our private business.. Shame on you for divulging confidential information, the public does not need to know how rich Selene is.

If one reads further into this laughable indictment we see the mayor making reference to the fact that Selene is a baker and bought iron. So what? Is that against the law? No. So until it is , mentioning it is irrelevant in a court of law. Unless its a Kangaroo court of course.

Even more shocking is the lengths this indictment goes to further it's propaganda and lies... I refer to the "Hoarding iron not only to make it temporarily impossible for our own Blacksmiths". Poppycock I say. There has been iron and knives on the market since the purchase by Selene. In fact within a day, even more was put up by the townhall and a day later, even more! There was no shortage. Lies and gross abuse of power. That is what this is about.

The fact that Selene hit the road to travel seems to have infuriated the Mayor because knowing she was already travelling he lodges this indictment. Thus making it impossible to defend herself in a court of law. I could go on but I need I?

This case is garbage and should be tossed out by the judge. I would hope they at least have the maturity and ethics to see this for what it is....cow dung.
Edward_Spike

Re: kangaroos and Courts don't mix

Post by Edward_Spike »

This is hardly worth anyone replying to but for the sake of you feeling not ignored I am going to keep this short as possible.
Deslock wrote:There is no law to speak of. At least not one that is clear and defined with limits and sentance recomendations. What we do have is an Edict. What is that but a policy? Certainly not a law. One case has already been tossed aside due to this undefined 'edict', I say there should be 2.
This is the Kingdom of Fenia.The word of the King is law. Thankfully he's a good guy, which I am sure most would have to agree with me there. The King has great faith in everyone that everyone, Fenian or not, is intelligent enough and has enough common sense and courtesy to realize bluntly -- not to "mess up". we're not here to hold anyone's hand and to point out what you shouldn't do. And if you actually read the cases that are soon to be dismissed you would have read that it was just a precaution in case of border jumping etc, that is resolved though and just one more day until that is officially dropped. it has nothing to do with the edicts "lacking"
Deslock wrote:This is a farce. Not only is there no enforceable law, the mayor has used poor judgement in publishing the contents of a travel grant , there by showing to the world the wealth of a private citizan. Is there no professional ethics to this mayor? Certainly we should have trust in our elected officials when they issue travel grants. Trust that they will not tell every Tom, Dick and Harry our private business.. Shame on you for divulging confidential information, the public does not need to know how rich Selene is.
I can tell by the highlighted bit you really have a good bit of knowledge on Fenian culture. I of course mean that sarcastically as officials are not elected per say. The King put Athnal into Widu's office, he put myself in the same office shortly after his arrival to Fenia and placed me in the Imperius office and is soon to put Marchioness Thorn into office in Fenia City. We've each proven our worth and duty one way or another. And as to telling "everyone" it is very unlikely everyone checks the courthouse every day, I didn't check it once until recently when charges were actually filed but I am pretty sure every forum reader will now wonder what the "big fuss" it about and will see it now for sure and if she had just answered and honored my request none of this would have happened.

1/23/1650 9:57:08 AM - the King asked her to place "some" of the iron she bought back on the market; she possibly had not traveled yet as she did say she would put some back up if asked... she did not comply

Jan 23, 1650 10:06 am - Almost ten minutes later I sent her an official request in game asking her to place ten iron up (10/20 of the iron that was on the market, that she bought, so half); did not comply, said she clicked travel in her reply at 10:24 am, 18 minutes later

Jan 23, 2010 10:20 am Official Request to place 4-5 out of the nine butcher knives that were up for sale from town hall back up for sale; this was before she had even replied to the first request and as she said she had clicked travel in the 10:24 reply she may have received both letters and then traveled on anyways.

Jan 23, 2010 10:26 am The farthest she can be is the border, possibly clicking to travel after receiving the first letters. This letter informs her she will be charged for the hoarding of iron and butcher knives shortly. charges were filed and a notice that charges was filed is sent to her (via in game system)

Jan 25, 2010 12:28 am After no reply from her and a couple days without her I sent another letter letting her know the case will continue without her statement either tomorrow (26th) or the day after (27th) and in our timezone that gives her two days to travel, being on the border when she received the first three notices and not turning back just makes it appear she does not care.

for the last bit, rich? That is all depends on your view of what rich is. Many people with two fields have around 500 + frz. For the time she has been playing, field status, and other things I personally find that "normal"
Deslock wrote:If one reads further into this laughable indictment we see the mayor making reference to the fact that Selene is a baker and bought iron. So what? Is that against the law? No. So until it is , mentioning it is irrelevant in a court of law. Unless its a Kangaroo court of course.
a small detail which just relates to that axes are needed to be made, and instead of the Blacksmith being able to buy iron to work she purchased it all.
Deslock wrote:Even more shocking is the lengths this indictment goes to further it's propaganda and lies... I refer to the "Hoarding iron not only to make it temporarily impossible for our own Blacksmiths". Poppycock I say. There has been iron and knives on the market since the purchase by Selene. In fact within a day, even more was put up by the townhall and a day later, even more! There was no shortage. Lies and gross abuse of power. That is what this is about.

I was able to put ten more iron up, and only a few more knives.I may have even left out the screen shot but she bought all the knives town hall offered as well again possibly making it impossible for another citizen of another Profession to work. And as you personally do not oversee his Highness' inventory of goods to see the iron I'm not all that confident you can say the situation on iron is to be bluntly honest.
Deslock wrote: The fact that Selene hit the road to travel seems to have infuriated the Mayor because knowing she was already travelling he lodges this indictment. Thus making it impossible to defend herself in a court of law. I could go on but I need I?
Infuriated? No. A bit annoyed? Yes. She had been warned/asked to place "some" of the goods (meaning not even half, just "some") and she ignored it. Shes had days to return but from what I hear refuses to, and even was notified almost 24 hours ago now that she has two more days. Impossible? Only when the defendant does not wish to defend herself. And it is "Earl" by the way.
Deslock wrote:This case is garbage and should be tossed out by the judge. I would hope they at least have the maturity and ethics to see this for what it is....cow dung.
Really? Who is childish here.. she was asked multiple times, could have agreed and done so via Viceregal grant but didn't, she ignored all requests and notices and still does although she obviously read them (talking about them in the tavern and all means she definitely had read them). Again, were not here to hold anyone's hand and if anyone lacks the common sense to know what not to do when it comes to these simple things, to ignore notices & warnings trying to prevent charges, then I definitely wish them luck on travels as they may need it. and I would like to apologize because this post is far from short so thank you for your time and I wish to thank you all for your time reading my lengthy post

Minister of Many Things
Earl of Imperius
Edward Spike

(edit: ooc: just in case someone tries to report me for breaking some rule about posting in game private mails you can clearly see I did not post anything she sent to me in the one reply and these are just times. really if needed though to be safe I give myself permission to post times I sent letters :roll: )
Vicky

Post by Vicky »

Oh my, is this the nobles trying to flash their "spike"d fame and power already? (Pun intended.) I would've thought it'd take ATLEAST 3 months more for the symptoms of that showing. Especially in someone as non-social as Edward. Proved me wrong atleast.

This is the way i see it:

I strongly doubt she has "ruined" your market, so i wouldn't exactly call it hoarding, i'm sure with a little wit you can come up with new knives easily. Instead, be happy that someone bought your "trade goods". She's obviously a trader, a profession that is very well allowed, unless you plan on putting in an "edict" that prohibit ANYONE to even buy anything without having a written agreement with the king. Now here's what you should do. Sit down, drop the case, contact a blacksmith and make some new knives, and consider planning your "knife-exhange" better next time. Don't just randomly drop a handful of knives on the market and then cry foul when someone buys them. You put them on the market to sell them to someone that needs them, Selene is obviously, bringing them to someone that needs them. "Them" might be in Bravia, but there's no rule saying you're not allowed to sell stuff to Bravians, that would be plain out silly. Just make more knives, ask people to contact you if they need them, and then coordinate the sell. Don't whack them on the market randomly and roar with your almighty mayor office when someone you don't find worthy picks them up.
Flash your power elsewhere.

On a more personal note, this attitude don't suit you Eddy, i thought you more thoughtful really.

Love,
Vicky

(OOC: Just noting i've NOTHING against any parts in this, so no personal attacks meant WHATSOEVER :) Just participating in the RP.)
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

On first glance I was left with a handful of questions, if anyone could answer them it may change whatever view I end up with here: (only questions of course, and name mentioning is only added since its already been pointed out as a personal issue involving those players and can help greatly with clarification)

Why has Selene said nothing herself? Why not answer the warning ig mails as to plead her case or explain before it got to this point, there was a few days to respond right? Does not answering show guilt? Is it possible that Selene never wanted this plastered on the forum since she has not done so herself? Was this discussion posted with permission from Selene, since her name has clearly been used as the main reason for this thread? Was the whole story gathered before posting a complaint?

However I am not one to take things as they are written or foretold so please excuse me while I try to make sense of this........ I may even contradict myself, but its all part of piecing things together

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My understanding of Fenia is that laws are under the discretion of the King, which is, the only reason I am in Fenia at all and as such I would expect that requests made by his officials to be working within the guidelines of what they believe are the laws. Therefore I would expect that anyone receiving an ig mail from one of these officials to be following the individual case and to be taken as seriously as if from the king himself. Of course within that I would also assume that if you felt an official had indeed over stepped his boundaries then an appeal as such could be made to the king, but of course I am unaware of how that works.

Everybody makes mistakes, its the actions afterwards that show intent, or character etc. I have to be honest here though from what I read here it really does appear to be more of a personal/professional/ig attack towards Edward from player/s that are not even involved within this situation, or at least from what is seen here. Could you please explain your involvement? are you the buyer or something else? I am very confused to where you fit into this. If you don't fit into it, then I must conclude that it is indeed a personal and/or misinformed attack towards Edward. Edward may have done wrong by posting a wealth, I have not yet seen this post but what I don't want other players to know about i keep in my property, if it was on profile then its public knowledge anyway, but could you please provide a link to these actions to back up this claim and/or accusation? (yes it is a claim or accusation as far as my knowledge stands)

As for the buying of the goods and the hoarding of goods claim, from what was written here the request was that some not all be put back on the market right? well it was first posted on the 7th January and edited on the 10th January by the king himself about hoarding, see section of that post below:
Project LVI wrote:

The hoarding of items from the markets of Fenia by any creature will not be tolerated

Market manipulation of any sort will not be tolerated

Edited January, 10 1650 to avoid double post
Original full post >>>>>>> http://www.secfenia.com/forums/viewtopi ... 7811#p7811

I could be wrong, but if asked to put 'some' back would it not be a warning of breaking this decree and therefore actions on the following days show the intent and/or guilt? But then she said she would put some back up if asked so its possible it is a huge mistake which of course would come out in the court, then again, Selene has not responded at all right? other then to say she was traveling a few days ago, this is right? Possibly a bit late to lay that as a claim now then

Well it seems that at this time, with current knowledge of events my view on this can only be:

~*~This thread was started to personally insult Edward_Spike, the words written appear to have been written with the emotion of anger which does unfortunately make it difficult to see the picture clearly

~*~The actions that had take place can only be seen as guilty and with intent, without any desire to correct this.

(This is only from information provided here and can change at anytime if there is to be any new information provided, this view, as with all of my views/opinions are not set in concrete. I am always searching for more information and if it could be provided in order for me to understand what you are trying to say then by all means please do so, and if I have missed something it is purely accidental)
balerion

Post by balerion »

This is the Kingdom of Fenia.The word of the King is law.
I am sure that is how rulers get beheaded for treason, no?
My understanding of Fenia is that laws are under the discretion of the King, which is, the only reason I am in Fenia at all and as such I would expect that requests made by his officials to be working within the guidelines of what they believe are the laws.
Undefined laws are no laws at all. And when they are just chirped out by the king's parrots they are even less so. True lords are supposed to be more than puppets and raised up by their merits but the people they represent, not by someone who just needs another toady.
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Selene

Post by Selene »

Melusine wrote:...

Why has Selene said nothing herself? (Why not answer the warning ig mails as to plead her case or explain before it got to this point, there was a few days to respond right? Does not answering show guilt? Is it possible that Selene never wanted this plastered on the forum since she has not done so herself? Was this discussion posted with permission from Selene, since her name has clearly been used as the main reason for this thread? Was the whole story gathered before posting a complaint?

I didnt responded much yet as I was advised by my lawyer. I am not guilty ... and just wait the right time for all to see my version.
balerion

Post by balerion »

Court should be open for all to see on the forum as the closed doors of it in game is no representation of court in the real world for a case such as this.
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Selene

Post by Selene »

Selene wrote:
Melusine wrote:...

Why has Selene said nothing herself? (Why not answer the warning ig mails as to plead her case or explain before it got to this point, there was a few days to respond right? Does not answering show guilt? Is it possible that Selene never wanted this plastered on the forum since she has not done so herself? Was this discussion posted with permission from Selene, since her name has clearly been used as the main reason for this thread? Was the whole story gathered before posting a complaint?

I didnt responded much yet as I was advised by my lawyer. I am not guilty ... and just wait the right time for all to see my version.

(and sorry too for the occ but without a banner i feel naked and dont come to forum much didnt know ppl had even talked much here about this)
Deslock

Post by Deslock »

Must a lawyer post in this forum the transcripts of the trial so you can make a better judgment or perhaps one could read the case in the courthouse? Either way, The screenshot of the contents of the grant are available for you to see in the courthouse documents. 400 fr and a few 1000 in goods constitutes rich in my books.

To address intent: One letter of warning does not constitute intent. Selene hit travel , so how could she put the items back on the market. And then by the Mayor's admission she received subsequent mailings. Even more interestingly is the timing of the offence, the first letter and indictment happening within hours. Unusually when one offers a warning and asks someone to replace market goods, waiting a day or 2 before filing charges might be a better solution then 29 minutes!

To the lack of written law: Can my client expect a fine or execution? You see there is no definition or sentencing recommendation to go with the decree. So Fleeing a possible death sentence sounds like a reasonable thing to do when defying the King, I mean the Mayor.

As to why Selene asked me to start this thread. Simple, She is in Bravia and unable to respond to her IG trial. Thus according the the email she received from the mayor - "the trial will proceed without her plea or testimony."

This thread is an attempt to show that such tactics are not tolerated. Law courts are to provide fair Justice, not railroading someone because they didn't ask how high when you say jump.

And for the record ...there was an town election, so Ed was not 'appointed' by the king to be mayor, he was elected. Making him accountable to the people he serves.
Edward_Spike

Post by Edward_Spike »

Deslock wrote: To address intent: One letter of warning does not constitute intent. Selene hit travel , so how could she put the items back on the market. And then by the Mayor's admission she received subsequent mailings. Even more interestingly is the timing of the offence, the first letter and indictment happening within hours. Unusually when one offers a warning and asks someone to replace market goods, waiting a day or 2 before filing charges might be a better solution then 29 minutes!
One letter? No... three, and even more warnings and requests then that. But since we want to discuss this - She was speaking with the King and told him in one hour and thirty minutes she will be leaving Imperius and if we wanted bread etc. to let her know, he responded almost immediately to her and let her know (and this is the first warning) that we would like "some" (meaning maybe 5/20) of the iron she bought placed back up. An hour and 20 minutes or so is left of the hour and thirty minutes before clicking travel. He again states that we would like her to place iron back on the market, this time using half, and making this the second request before she left town. She said something about "Vice" letting her keeping it (Game Admin..? Or did she mean the King, who she was talking to and who had already requested twice that she put "some" and then "half" of the iron back up). He then told her it will be defined as hoarding in which she sarcastically and rudely suggested that he should grant iron to blacksmiths... really? We now have to worry about our citizens buying all of the items and being told to grant? It really should not be necessary. I digress and continue with what I was on. Around an hour and ten minutes until she said she will be clicking travel, although with how the situation is going I'm sure she is a smart women and can guess if she doesn't comply with the a simple request that has been asked three times now before traveling so far she will be charged for hoarding, and may have continued on anyways possibly earlier than what she stated before. The King asks again for a fourth time while she is possibly still in town. She replies "no" flat out and tells him to have a good day. Now four warnings. obviously the King did not want me to press charges but she did not respond to 3/4 of the requests, and then the fourth she gave a straight out no.
Deslock wrote:To the lack of written law: Can my client expect a fine or execution? You see there is no definition or sentencing recommendation to go with the decree. So Fleeing a possible death sentence sounds like a reasonable thing to do when defying the King, I mean the Mayor.
When working with the King before do you really find him the kind of person to execute someone for this? He is quite the fair creature and sure others will agree with me. She can most likely expect a fine, especially since she has had four days to return after so many warnings and has not appeared in court, it is the Judge's decision in the end though.
Deslock wrote: As to why Selene asked me to start this thread. Simple, She is in Bravia and unable to respond to her IG trial. Thus according the the email she received from the mayor - "the trial will proceed without her plea or testimony."
She was warned and asked multiple times and was given even more days to return. She is not responding in game to her case because she simply does not want to. Four-Five days is plenty of time, even from Paz, for one to return.
Deslock wrote:This thread is an attempt to show that such tactics are not tolerated. Law courts are to provide fair Justice, not railroading someone because they didn't ask how high when you say jump.
She bought almost all of the iron and all of the butcher knives, we requested multiple times and she said no. What else were we supposed to do after 8 requests and warning Deslock?
Deslock wrote:And for the record ...there was an town election, so Ed was not 'appointed' by the king to be mayor, he was elected. Making him accountable to the people he serves.
(OOC: Ed (character) was appointed by the "LVI", there just simply isn't a button to click as there are other things that need to be coded. Really if you want to nitpick at everything...)

I have recently pressed charges to someone who bought most of the iron and all of the knives from the market. Without the knives butchers were unable to cut and for the past few days a market that is usually full of steak has seen none. There are knives now thankfully and so we may be seeing some steaks soon but obviously buying all the knives did not help. Hopefully steak will rejoin the people of Imperius' diet once again soon.
Selene wrote:(and sorry too for the occ but without a banner i feel naked and dont come to forum much didnt know ppl had even talked much here about this)
And I am sorry I am not so sure if you did not know about this discussion being a few were in a discussion over it in the tavern a day or two ago. (OOC: Not to mention I saw you in the "Users browsing this forum:" thing at the bottom multiple times since the first posting :roll: )

again apologies for a lengthy post and thank you for your time. I do want to say one more thing though. Selene, I know you refused the fourth time requested/warned but if you at all wish to cooperate with myself as the Earl of Imperius (or the King) that is still welcomed.