[ORP] Firestorm Manor

Moderator: Community Team

Violet

Re: [ORP] Firestorm Manor

Post by Violet »

Violet was in aww of the beautiful Firestorm Manor as she walked the path to the entrance. She couldn't believe she had stumbled upon Nikola at the Myst Tavern, someone who was willing to giver her a warm bed. She couldn't help but dream of the possibility of a warm bath, or at least a warm place to wash herself clean.
Even with it being late at night, she could see that someone was keeping the Manor warm with the smell of smoke in the air. Violet wrapped her shawl around her, wrapping feeling the holes through her ragged clothing that have barely survived her trip to Fenia.

She knocked on the door unsure if the Steward Iris could hear her, but rather quickly she saw the woman appear before her.

Violet felt her heart beat in her throat as she shown the woman her the letter from Nikola, "Nikola asked me to give you this when I arrived".
Iris,

I am sending Violet to you for warmth, food, and a safe bed to sleep in. I met her in the Mysts Tavern and learned that she is only newly arrived in the kingdom and has no place yet to live. She currently hails from Widu, but as Firestorm is but a short distance from the tavern, I sent her to you. I wish for you to put her up in one of the guest suites and provide whatever she needs for however long she needs it until my return. I know you will treat her like family as you always do.

Tell everyone I miss them but am enjoying my travels. I will be in Zahar a few more days, I think, as the pear trees here are absolutely wonderful!

Nikola Ballintyne
Iris

Post by Iris »

Inside Firestorm Manor, Iris was making sure all was secure before calling it a night. She had not heard from her mistress since the young woman had taken off, quite on a lark in Iris' wise viewpoint, and fretting about her charge had been keeping her up late at night. A knock on the door startled her, but she dutifully went to pull it open, sending old Thomas back to his bed when he appeared in his robe and slippers.

She had expected perhaps a messenger with a letter from Nikki, but if the young woman who stood there shivering in the cold was a messenger, she would eat her hat. That she had no hat to eat was beside the point. She was about to shoo the girl away when the waif spoke up and shoved a note at her before she could say a word. Her eyes lit up at hearing her mistress's name, but she said nothing, just took the note and began to read.

She immediately recognized Nikola's handwriting and her features visibly softened as she read Nikki's instructions to her to take care of Violet. She even smiled to hear that Nikki was safe and enjoying herself in Zahar. When she lowered the letter to look at Violet, her eyes were kindly and she signaled for the young woman to come in out of the cold. "Get yourself on in here, girl, so we can close the door and shut out the cold," she instructed. Once the girl was inside, she looked her over more closely. The poor thing was dressed in clothing that might have been nice enough when they were made, but were worse for wear and totally inadequate against the cold of a Fenian winter. She looked hungry, too, and could probably use a bath, but first things first, she decided.

"I am Iris, as you might have already guessed," she said. "Let's get you out of those wet shoes and into the kitchen where the fires are still lit. We'll find something hot to warm your insides." Once the girl was out of her shoes, she led the way through the house to the kitchen. There everything was orderly and clean as Cook was as obsessive about keeping her workspace clean as she was about cooking only the best meals for the household. "You have a seat right here, um..." she glanced back down at the note and nodded to yourself. "Violet. That's what the Lady NIkola said your name is, right? Anyway, you sit right there in front of the fire and I'll see what we can find to fill your belly with."

Cook's rooms were just beyond the kitchen, with the door facing into it so Iris rapped her knuckles on the door. "Cook!" She called through the door and then waited until she heard rustling on the other side of the door. "We have a hungry belly out here that needs filled with something warm and delicious," she said and then stood back from the door, grinning over in Violet's direction with a wink. "That'll get her movin'," she promised.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Violet shivered and appreciative while Iris had taken the note to read. She was embarrassed at herself for groveling to someone despite Nikolas's insistence at the tavern. The cold made it hard to be mannerful and the shakes were soon going through her.

When Iris finished her reading she had nearly teared up and gave a smile as she was called in. Feeling the heat of the quiet home she realized how quickly the the walk from the tavern had treated her. The cold seemed to have hit worst over her recent travels to getting to Secfina.

When Iris told her instructions she was more than happy to oblige letting go of her wet shoes that she realized now were even falling apart from her long journey. The idea of warm food had made her salivate as she followed Iris, memories of Christmas as a little girl gave her a feeling of dejavu. Couldn't help but laugh a little to herself after being instructed like the child she felt even though she wasn't far off from being 30.

"Honestly I don't need much Iris, but thank you." She happily unwrapped her hands to be warmed by the fire with her feet happy to be so close the fire she was able to smell earlier.
Iris

Post by Iris »

There was the sound of shuffling feet on the other side of the cook's door and then the door opened and a plump woman appearing to be in her middle 50's appeared, filling the doorway with her presence. She wore a robe that had been quickly thrown on over her sleep shift, gray curls framed her face as they poked out from the sleep cap on her head and her feet were ensconced in great fluffy slippers. Her gaze swept the room as if taking everything in in an instant before lighting on Violet. "What have we here? Mages bless me, let me see what we can stir up for you, child." Without another word she set about the kitchen pulling out a loaf of bread and a bowl of creamy butter along with a glass of milk. "Let's get you started with that while I warm up a pie left over from dinner," she said and graced the young woman with a smile before opening the oven door to pull out three small round pastries that she had kept in the oven to keep critters and insects from getting at them. She checked them over and then placed them all back in the oven and used a set of tongs to move several smoldering embers from the fire pit into the firebox that heated the oven. The oven's firebox was always cleaned out every evening and reset with wood and kindling to make getting the kitchen started in the morning quick and easy. Setting the tongs aside, she lit a kindling stick from the low fire in the fire pit and used it along with the embers to get the fire going. "Shouldn't take long. Them pies are already cooked, they just need to warm up a bit," she assured Violet.

Iris smiled, sitting back to watch Cook as she went to work. They had become friends of a sort, and Iris admired her for her skill in the kitchen. Her meat pies were the best she had ever had, filled with strips of beef, pork, chicken or whatever game meat that Ben managed to get for the kitchen. These were left over from dinner and contained generous portions of strips of beef, broccoli, potatoes, carrots and onions all cooked together in a rich thick stew and then poured into pastry dough which was folded over and pinched closed and cooked until the kitchen was filled with the savory aroma. Cook's pastries were buttery and flaky and the pies inside were cooked to perfection. They did not often have leftovers, but with their mistress gone traveling around Secfenia, there always seemed to be a little bit left at the end of the day. Often they would eat them for a midnight snack or even breakfast. Tonight Violet would get to experience leftovers good enough to grace the table of a Countess, if not a King.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola arrived back at Firestorm Manor astride Starr, her beloved mare. She had been away from home for too long, she thought as the sight of the manor house and its impeccable gardens came into view. She took in a deep breath, imagining that she was breathing in the essence of her estate. Home. It felt right.

She swung herself out of the saddle just as Ben came hurrying up to greet her and take the reins.
“My Lady,” he exclaimed breathlessly, as if he had run a long way. “You have come back just in time! One of the hippogriff eggs is ready to hatch!”

Nikki’s eyes opened wide as she had never expected one of the eggs to be viable. “Where is it?” she asked, excitement bubbling up inside her.

“In the stable, my Lady,” Ben responded, tugging on Starr’s reins as he started back in the direction from which he had arrived. “Hurry! We might get to see it break its shell!”

Without further speech, Nikola hurried after Ben into the stables. He pointed to one of the stalls near the back of the stables. “It’s in there,” he said as he led Starr to her stall and began to untack her. She quickly crossed the distance to the stall and pulled open the door. There, half buried in a pile of hay, lay a large hippogriff egg. As she approached and knelt beside it, she detected slight movement as the egg seemed to dip ever so slightly on first one end then the other. “I think you’re right, Ben!” she exclaimed excitedly. “I don’t see any cracks yet, though,” she continued. “Have you had any experience with hippogriffs, Ben?” she asked, not sure what might help or possibly harm the young hatchling in its efforts to seek daylight.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

"This will be my very first," Ben responded from where he was taking care of Starr. Nikola could tell that he was anxious to join her and smiled. Ben had always had an affinity with animals and she had been privileged to watch him grow from a gangly teenaged boy into a fine young man with a passion for and knowledge about beasts of all sorts. "I have been reading up on them, though, and I think I have what we need all ready to go," he said, his voice drawing near as he crossed the stable to join her in the stall. "I've been keeping it warm in hopes that it might hatch. It only started doing that a few hours ago," he informed her, nodding his head at the egg as it tilted to one side. "Look," he said, placing his hands gently over the egg. "You can feel it moving in there, like it wants to spread its wings or something." Suddenly his eyes grew wide and he let go of the egg. "It pecked!" he exclaimed and Nikola leaned forward to wrap the egg gently in her hands. She laughed excitedly as she felt a strong tap against the shell. "It should just be a matter of time now. Do we have what we need to feed it once it hatches? Will it need a nest or what do we do to give it the best chance at life?" she asked the young man.

He pointed to a pouch that hung from his belt.
"When I realized that it might be hatching today, I went out and caught a couple of rabbits. I have their feet ready to place around the baby once it's hatched and that will not only feed it, but start taming it for us...I mean, you, of course, My Lady." Nikola smiled at Ben's blush, knowing that he may be even more excited about this hatchling than she was.
Rosalie

Post by Rosalie »

Once upon a time, Rosalie had been extended an open invitation to Firestorm Manor, the home of Nikola Ballintyne. She had visited the estate once or twice but she never really accepted the offer. In her short youth, Rosalie had mostly stayed with her mother and visited Nikki alongside Ella so she didn't need to really visit the manor on her own. Then once she reached an age of maturity she began exploring the world on her own. She spent the better part of a year traveling all over the lands of Secfenia, studying and visiting various creatures. She'd greatly enjoyed her time exploring, maybe a little too much.

In late April, Rosalie Blackwood arrived at Northborough Manor, her mother's estate, heavily pregnant and seemingly ready to give birth at any moment. The pregnancy had developed faster than what would have been deemed 'normal' by human standards, but she also had kept it hidden from most people by way of keeping it out of the public eye. Ella had, of course, learned the truth long before Rosalie returned. Then on the fourth day of May, two dark-haired, blue-eyed little babies came into the world. One boy and one girl. No one yet knew what was in store for these two little wailing infants. Her pregnancy may have developed quickly yet these babies seemed by all accounts 'normal'. Time would only tell.

Ella had stayed at Northborough for a time and spent the majority of her time caring for her daughter and her new grandbabies, but Rosalie could see was getting worn out spending so much time going between Fenia City and Northborough. It was time for a change of scenery. She decided to go to Firestorm so that she could be close to the city but wouldn't be facing the public just yet. She wasn't ashamed of it but equally, she wanted to rest before any of that.

The shadows shifted outside of Firestorm as a raven-haired figure in a burgundy dress arrived outside in the front courtyard. On the crook of her arm, she held a large basket filled with blankets and two little sleeping figures.
~ Countess of Northborough ~ Daughter of Ella ~ Blackwood Family ~ Banner by Zehara ~
Iris

Post by Iris »

Iris was in her office going over the books for Nikola’s estates when she felt it. A shift in the atmosphere. One that was not natural. Looking around the room, she sensed nothing out of place, yet there was now a presence that had not been there a moment before. Closing the books, Iris rose from her seat and went to the window to see what she might find. Iris appeared to those around her as a middle aged, slightly plump woman of average height. Not at all remarkable, which was the intent of the glamor. Iris was – or had been once – from the Summer Realm, whose lord was Nikola’s ancestor. She had been sent by Vaelen to watch over Nikola and had chosen this glamor to blend in with the local populace, inserting herself into Nikola’s household as the steward of her estates. Over time Iris had found that her loyalty shifted from Vaelen to Nikola as she became more protective of her young charge. Nikola had been unaware of Iris’ true nature until Zhaneth had outed her and condemned her for overstepping her role as spy and overseer. Vaelen had effectively banished her from the Summer Realm according to the laws of that land for her failure to report the changes occurring in Nikola. Yet he had been merciful, allowing her to remain in Nikola’s service, so long as she never returned to the land of her birth.

Her elven senses had been honed over years of practice and use so the shift in the atmosphere, although likely unrecognizable to most humans, was clear to her. Peering out the window that overlooked the courtyard, she found the cause of the shift. The young daughter of Nikola’s friend, Ella, stood there, holding a basket filled with something she could not discern from this angle. She smiled and hurried to the door, reaching it just as Thomas was pulling it open. Brushing past the aging butler, she exited the doorway to greet their guest.

“Rosalie, isn’t it?” she asked as she came to a halt in front of the girl. Glancing down, she discovered that the contents of the basket were indeed living as she had guessed. “Oh!” she exclaimed as she surveyed the sweet faces of two beautiful human babies. “I did not know that you were expecting! Or that Lady Nikola was expecting company,” she said as she searched the girl’s face for answers. “Was she expecting you?” she asked cautiously.
Rosalie

Post by Rosalie »

It did not take long at all for someone to notice Rosalie's arrival. She stood in the front courtyard and glanced around briefly, gauging the shadows within the area. There was already a handful of people here between the servants and the Countess herself on the property. The door opened as two of the figures appeared. The first one out was Lady Nikola's steward who greeted her whilst subtly asking if others were aware of her arrival.

"Greetings Iris," Rosalie said as she inclined her head to the woman. "No, no she was not expecting me. Nor these two...that was a well kept secret from most. Not even Lady Nikola is aware. I guess you can call that a surprise in addition to my visit." She smiled wryly and shifted the basket on her arm. Who new that two newborns would be so heavy? She then continued, "I hope she doesn't mind the visit. She's in the stables, I see. I can wait here if that is easiest or go to her. Whichever way you want." Some might have raised a brow at Rosalie stating she saw Nikola in the stables, but most who knew her wouldn't think twice about such an oddity.
~ Countess of Northborough ~ Daughter of Ella ~ Blackwood Family ~ Banner by Zehara ~
Iris

Post by Iris »

Iris started almost imperceptibly at Rosalie’s announcement that Nikola was in the stables. Iris had known when her Lady arrived, of course, but she was not exactly sure of her whereabouts, guessing that she was in the stables with Ben. It took a moment for her to recall Nikola’s description of the girl’s abilities. She nodded at Rosalie and glanced toward the stables. Her Lady was apparently inside the stables as she was nowhere to be seen outside. Glancing back down at the babes, she decided she did not think it wise to keep them exposed to the elements by waiting around for Nikola. “I’m not sure when she will be done with the stables, so why don’t you go and see what she’s up to. Master Ben has been working with a hippogriff egg, so they may be in there examining the thing. Just watch your step. The horses have been well fed,” she teased.