Important Notice: Numbers

Moderator: Community Team

Amaryllis
Community Manager

Important Notice: Numbers

Post by Amaryllis » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:55 pm

While looking into another issue, the question of active players in each town came up. So, we took a look at numbers across the board and compared some stats to last year as well as looked at where our activity is.

Our total number of active players (Not dead, Not Paused, and Not Deleted) can range from 130 up towards the high 150's based upon the time of the year. So, we took a moment to compare two days a year apart. On 12/7/17, we had 146 active players and on 12/7/18, we had 140 active players. These numbers are within expected ranges, but shows a bit of where we stand.

The reason why we brought this up is how it splits over towns: [Ties broken by total population including dead or paused]

1) Fenia (33 Active)
2) Imperius (33 Active)
3) Bravia (21 Active)
4) Paz (20 Active)
5) Widu (20 Active)
6) Cork (12 Active)

We would like to take a moment to give a nod to Fenia for doing a good job maintaining or even increasing their player population over the past year.

It has been on record saying we would prefer 20 or more active people in a town for them to stay open. With the smallest town being a teen number, it brought forth the thought of whether we should or should not keep all 6 towns open. After thinking about this situation, we, as the Administrative Team, have agreed that it's time to close a town. Given Cork's least numbers, this town has been selected.

With this said, here is the timeline that this process will proceed under:

Effective immediately, Cork will be set to closed. All players with the HOME TOWN of CORK will be given the option to move to Fenia Imperius, Bravia, Paz or Widu with a selected deadline of February 1st.

If there are any players who have not yet made a selection, they will be given a warning that they will be moved to Widu if no other town is selected by March 1st.

As much as we hate to do this, we also think that this will give our players a better experience by moving more active players together. We appreciate all of our players who contribute to our great community. As always, if you have any questions about this process, please let us know.

Regards,
Secfenia Admin Team

balerion

Re: Important Notice: Numbers

Post by balerion » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:40 pm

Based upon my own counts I'm guessing IG elder/moderator accounts are included in these population numbers. Is that correct?
King of Kiene
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear

Zachrin

Post by Zachrin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:11 pm

balerion wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:40 pm
Based upon my own counts I'm guessing IG elder/moderator accounts are included in these population numbers. Is that correct?
Negative. Community and Administrative Team members do not count towards these numbers.
This world is but just a canvas for our imagination - Henry David Thoreau

balerion

Post by balerion » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:24 pm

I suppose my memory of my records is less accurate than my records themselves. :lol:
King of Kiene
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear

Duke_of_Earl

Post by Duke_of_Earl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 am

Any chance we can talk about alternatives to closing Cork down?
Perhaps for example if the Kienese move from Widu to Cork and allow FeniaVR to flip back Widu then see if we can move 10 volunteers each from Fenia and Imperius to Widu?
NAME, RACE, -banner by Aida

Calysta

Post by Calysta » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:24 am

Indeed. An important decision was made without considering the players and characters here in the game. Yes, the admins say they took us all into consideration and made the best decision for us, but if we were really taken into consideration, we would have been consulted first before any such decision was made. There are other solutions, one of which is Duke's suggestion. Those of us in Kiene have already been discussing another viable solution. The one offered by the admins is the absolute worst possible decision and not even a solution at all.
Thank you, Teide, for the Banner!

Karcier_Aisu

Post by Karcier_Aisu » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:34 am

On the 11th day of christmas my mages chose for me to close a town, without asking the players nor thinking the dislike that will cause....

So in short, ANY town that suddenly has a dip in active players will be at risk of being closed. Is this correct as its not made fully clear, what is the time period before you make such a decision? Why didn't you consult with the players with your 'option' and ask them to try to solve the issue of 'numbers' otherwise the town would have to be closed. Did this choice include how active those players are, e.i do they roleplay how active are they in game vs those that just log in and log out.

Understandably upset about this,

Karcier Player

Rieron

Post by Rieron » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 am

Agreed, TPB Kar.

These numbers have always fluctuated. Most of the players just move back and forth with whatever town and VR best fit their characters and in most recent case whichever VR can offer them the most (Titles/Lands/Wealth, etc etc). If the Administration is concern over the numbers they should have spoken to the people in the town and gave it notice of the plan and an opportunity to rectify it before making it final. Truth is activity was coming back not just in the town but also in the VR. That was something that was being renewed in light of what happened recently and it was being talked about among players.

However, now the question instead of "What other ideas can we come up with for bring more players into the game and the town?" is being shifted to "Why bother?" This is the second time such a decision has been made without speaking to the players, and the message that its sending across is that the administration cares for numbers more than how the majority feels.
~Mated to Scarlet~ |Father to Ryker, Narezza, and Aeron| Master Sorcerer, Sargent, and Priest of Cork ~Drachau of Tsera Fuerte~ "Pain is erased when inflicted upon others."

Amaryllis
Community Manager

Post by Amaryllis » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:05 am

Lets be clear - No one is happy about it. No one would be.
This wasn't a decision that was decided lightly.

12 active players for one town is a problem. Absolutely no one wants to move. We understand that.

Lets take a look at what is obviously working:

Fenia flourishes. They invest time in their people, they talk with their people constantly and their acting government seems very active and engaging with each other to work on things. They are the most active VR by far, in the game and in their Forums. They are constantly being creative and inventing things to do on the Forum to engage their population, to make events attractive or fun.

Perhaps that contributes to why they have 65+ Active members there?

This said, we want all towns to be successful and not struggle. We want towns to flourish and be engaging, we want them helpful to new comers and be attractive when someone joins the game. 12 active players in a town is not enough. We wish it could be, but it is not.

Rieron

Post by Rieron » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:30 am

With utmost respect towards the administration,

Let me be clear myself, the problem isn't with the decision itself. The problem is that it lacks proper notice or indication that that was where it was headed so that the circumstance had an opportunity to be fixed and players had the choice to pull together for a solution. Twice now with Kiene, even when it had more than 20 active people in Spirus, the plug was pulled from them without general consent or a chance given to get things right.

Now that is great that one of the three VRs is doing well. I have heard of the tactics employed by the characters in the VR of Fenia to lure players from other VRs over. I've heard this OOC and IC from multiple individuals. Promise of title/land/wealth/better etc etc, this is not a new tactic nor do I fault them for using it over the years. Its clever and its worked out pretty well at the expense of the other VRs loosing numbers. I commend them on the success.

Nevertheless, difference between 12 and 20 is 8 players and that is doable. The number can even increase beyond that again like it has in the past if the community is given chance to work together and things are set in place to maintain steady levels. The Opportunity is what the PCs need. Now if given opportunity and it fails after a major campaign for activity then that cuts off the argument there.
~Mated to Scarlet~ |Father to Ryker, Narezza, and Aeron| Master Sorcerer, Sargent, and Priest of Cork ~Drachau of Tsera Fuerte~ "Pain is erased when inflicted upon others."