[ORP] Ettinford: A Tale by the Sea

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Thea

Re: [ORP] Ettinford: A Tale by the Sea

Post by Thea »

The conservatory was Thea's safe place away from the bustle of servants and kids. No one usually popped into the all-glass room unless they were specifically looking for the Viscountess's wife, thankfully. Sometimes she would be be found there reading and other times she would be tending to her plants. Gardening was a more recently acquired hobby of hers from after she had been granted Redford.

Today, Thea was reporting a strangle prickly plant with purple-blue flowers jutting out in various directions. She looked up from her work as Aileigh entered the room. Her trousers were covered with dirt as were her hands. A streak of dirt was smudged across her face to complete the look.
Dorathea "Thea" Sanchari Winterbourne | Lady of Redcroft Manor | The Red Wolf
Cousin of the Winterbournes | Mother of Zevander, Corabel, Elodie, & Lenora | Wife of Aileigh
Aileigh

Post by Aileigh »

A soft sigh escaped her lips as her mind wandered to the sound of her bare feet on the tiled floor. Flashes of the garden slipped through the mental wall she tried to keep up in regards to Zhou. His black hair, grey eyes, the sultry look he can give. The passion of a kiss left a burn on her cheeks, even as a memory. The way he grabbed her and their lips met left her with more frustration… And desire.

Aileigh huffed and entered the conservatory. Once bright eyes landed on her spouse, Zhou melted away and Thea came back to her mind. She smiled, even chuckled when Thea looked up from her handiwork, covered in soil. It was a cute look; she had found that she had a faint crush on her Winterbourne counterpart. Faint was the key word - in some ways, Thea was attractive to the young bisexual woman. However, the crush was mostly based on appearance. If they were not married, Thea was not someone she would intentionally pursue. It made things easy; there was no confusion to her regarding the reality of their relationship.

“Sorry to interrupt,” She said as she sat down on the ground beside Thea. She took a look at the plant Thea was working on before looking back to her wife. “Sorry to interrupt. There was something important we should talk about… Sooner than later.”

It was an ominous start, so she continued. However, as she began to speak again, nerves flitted around her chest and her heart raced with some anxiety.

“I don’t know how to really lead into it,” She knew Thea preferred things straight and to the point. So, she did just that with an unwavering gaze. “Thea, you’re pregnant.”
Aileigh Mae Maarah Sanchari Winterbourne | Seer of BDR | Viscountess of Ettinford
Wife to Thea | Mother of Zevander, Corabel, Elodie, Lenora, Ezra, & Imogen
Daughter of Aishe & Akos
| Sanchari Family [Profile]
Aishe
Location: OOC: On RL maternity leave. In retreat IG, checking forums occasionally. Available on discord.

Post by Aishe »

Ves'tacha -

I find myself in a bit of a bind. Draven and Meira are home from traveling, but Meira is in a foul mood. She doesn't wish to spend much time with me and sulks in her room, refusing to participate in daily life at the Villa. It's evident she is unhappy to be "home", or
as she calls it, "the place I'm forcing her to be".

(I have to say, thank you for not going through a dramatic teenage phase.)

I was thinking - she was happier in Fenia. She enjoys the life of luxury and nobility. If it's alright with you and Thea, perhaps Meira can come stay with you all for the winter. She loved Ettinford when we lived there and I think she could use some more gentle guidance and exposure to her hertiage than she will get at the Villa with all of us. She's always liked you more than me. (Sure makes me feel like a great mother.)

Let me know if this is an option! I have yet to mention it to her; I will await your response. You don't have to say yes.

Me kumav tu:
Dai
Aishe Ehsan Sanchari-Kuhlash | Married to Akos | Mother of Dynasties | Mum of 16
♛ Queen Mother of Fenia | The White Wolf | Senator of Bravia🍓
Kralisi Kaer of Boreens Durri Roma (BDR) ☾ Rani Ji Purrana
[Art | Historian ]
Aileigh

Post by Aileigh »

Aileigh was playing with Zev when her steward approached with a letter. She immediately recognized the golden unicorn seal. Excited to hear from her mother, she took the letter without rising from the floor and broke the seal. A quiet sigh left her lips as she read.

She knew how much her mother struggled with her older sister. Meira was her mother’s firstborn, but she had been raised away from Aishe and family, with Aishe under the assumption Meira had died as at a few months old. Aileigh personally disliked Draven for that decision, but otherwise she got along well with him and his daughter. In some ways, Meira seemed to idolize Aileigh. She was always dressed nicely and in the latest fashion back when she lived in the royal palace. She had friends at court, was well educated, and liked. In many ways, she was the perfect princess and that was what Meira liked about her. She could imagine that would only increase now that she was a Viscountess in her own right.

Aileigh waited until that night before responding to the letter. She had spoken to Thea about the letter after dinner and together, they agreed Meira was welcomed to stay for a while. So, in the quiet confines of her library, she penned back:
Dai,

We talked it over and decided we would be happy to have Meira stay with us for however long you wish. She is welcomed to arrive whenever you want to bring her, or whenever Draven wants to travel if he’d prefer to drop her off. (I imagine she has a lot of stuff she’d want to bring.)

On the topic of you, you are a great mother. You love hard and true. You care and put your children above all else. You always have and I know you always will. You have fourteen other kids who will attest to it. (Or would if they were old enough to.) Anyone who knows you would agree with me.

Don’t let Meira get you down.

I love you.
Maarah
Aileigh Mae Maarah Sanchari Winterbourne | Seer of BDR | Viscountess of Ettinford
Daughter of Aishe & Akos
Aileigh

Post by Aileigh »

A week passed since she had responded to her mother regarding her older sister. Life was normal at Ettinford, with nothing special happening other than daily life. The twins were crawling, which kept everyone on their toes. Important or fragile items were put up higher to stay out of their grasp. Aileigh enjoyed watching their growth - even day to day, it seemed like they changed so much. They were truly exploring the world with wide eyes and a natural curiosity.

She was playing with them when her steward came into the fainting room to announce the arrival of Draven and Meira. She left them in the care of the nanny and went to the foyer, where her relatives waited. Ettinford was familiar to them from the time her mother served as viscountess, with few changes having been made since. Even the staff remained the same for the most part, which she imagined Meira would come to appreciate.

Upon approach, Aileigh gave a warm smile. She did not, however, greet them with hugs and kisses as she might with others in the family. Her relationship with Draven was interesting. He made some poor choices and did a lot of harm to her mother, which lowered her respect for the elf. Aishe may have forgiven him, but her second born did not. He robbed her mother of years of Meira’s life and it had created the strained relationship between Aishe and Meira. It was difficult to watch her confident mother struggle to get love from her own child, fighting feelings of uselessness.

“Welcome back to Ettinford.” The viscountess greeted. “I already have your room prepared for you, Meira. I also took the liberty of preparing a room for you, Draven, so that you may rest before you resume your travels.”

“You have my gratitude.” Draven responded politely, knowing Aileigh was not his biggest fan. Meira remained quiet, a quiet that was quickly turning into an awkward silence. To combat the silence, Aileigh motioned for them to follow.

“Let me show you to your rooms so you may take a moment. Whenever you’re ready, you can meet me in the fainting room for refreshments.”

With that said, she led them upstairs to the guest rooms. Aileigh left them up there and went to find her wife. She found Thea was reading in bed. The couple had separate bedrooms still, both at Ettinford and Redcroft, which gave them privacy from each other.

“Sorry to bother, just wanted to let you know Meira has arrived. Draven will be staying the night and will likely leave tomorrow morning… Thank you again for agreeing to their visit.”

Thea nodded and for a moment, they talked as Aileigh told her about a sweet moment she had with the twins while her wife was napping. Thea’s maternal instincts were still strained, but as the children were leaving the fussy baby stage, Aileigh noticed she seemed to be around a bit more. Perhaps they were less annoying now. Perhaps there was something forming beneath the surface. Aileigh didn’t know and maybe she wouldn’t. Time would tell. Unfortunately for Thea, there would soon be another fussy baby in the household. Aileigh hoped it wouldn’t affect the progress of tolerance.

After sitting with her pregnant wife for a few minutes, she went to check on their napping son. Zevander was recovering from a cold and his sleep schedule was off track, but she was simply grateful he was sleeping. After confirming he was still asleep, she went back downstairs. The twins were still playing with the nanny, so she joined in, reacquiring her spot on the floor.
Daughter of Aishe & Akos
Aileigh

Post by Aileigh »

The day had came.

It was wild to think nine months had passed so quickly. Aileigh was able to prepare her wife by providing a due date, which she had gotten from a vision. Following the birth and naming of her sibling, she returned to Ettinford with a few days to spare. She did what she could to keep Thea comfortable in the final days of pregnancy, all while Thea muttered occasionally about being the size of a planet. Disgruntled, it was clear Thea was ready for the pregnancy to be over. Aileigh was also ready, but for very different reasons. For Aileigh, she was welcoming another child into her family - another son or daughter to love and care for. Her wife just wanted to get on with life, leaving the pregnancy nonsense behind.

On January 27th, they both got their wish. Thea went into labour when Aileigh predicted. Much to their dismay, it would prove to be a long and painful labour. Aileigh stayed at Thea's side, alongside with Cordelia, who had traveled to be there to welcome the newest Sanchari-Winterbourne. While Rhozin and the nannies hung out downstairs with the children, the women were up in Thea's room. Nine hours would pass before shrill cries filled the bedroom.

It was a girl!

Exhausted and drenched in sweat, Thea let Aileigh hold the newborn first. Eager to welcome her daughter, she insisted to clean the babe off herself and took her into her arms. Per Aileigh's request, Thea agreed to wait two weeks until the baby was old enough to be baptized and named in accordance to the Romany culture. Gently, she wiped the newborn's cheek with a towel, admiring her big blue eyes. Her hair was sparse and light in colour. Aileigh held her close to her chest for a moment, whispering into the babe’s ear, before going back to Thea to show off their new child. Shortly thereafter, the babe was passed over to Cordelia, who immediately declared her love for the little round face in her arms.

A few more moments later, Aileigh took the child to the nursery, which was warded like Thea's room had been, in accordance to the protection spells the Romany used for their birthing tents. After rocking baby for a little while, she put her in the crib and met Cordelia in the hallway. Thea had requested privacy for rest, so together they went downstairs to where Rhozin was reading, still awake and waiting.

"It's a girl!" "It's a girl!" The viscountesses exclaimed together. Rhozin joined in the excitement, understand that it was a big deal in the matriarchal society of the Rom. Soon, the three of them had drinks in hand and cheered to the blessing of new life. It was no Romany celebration like she had experienced just two and a half weeks ago, but it was fitting for the small Fenian family.
Daughter of Aishe & Akos
Aileigh

Post by Aileigh »

The three of them drank for a while before each retiring to sleep. The night was a restful one for Aileigh, feeling a sense of peace with the birth come and passed successfully. She slept soundly, but come morning, she startled awake from a comfortable, sleepy daze. She had not taken care of the baby! She knew there was the nursemaid, but she had slept through any cries her sensitive ears would have heard thanks to the alcohol consumption the night prior.

Mildly annoyed at herself, she got out of bed, pulled on a robe and slippers, and wandered out into the chill of the house. Winter was in full swing outside with a blizzard, leaving the house extra chilly. She could hear all the fires crackling, bringing life and heat to the quiet estate. It would always amaze her how snow engulfed the world in a deafening silence.

The viscountess moved down the hall to the warded nursery. She peeked in, confirming with her eyes what the silence told her. The baby was sleeping. She left the nursery and went downstairs to the feast hall, finding Cordelia and Rhozin already awake.

“Good morning, Aileigh!” Cordelia said happily, pouring a cup of tea for the Romany princess. Aileigh smiled and sat at the table with them. Cora offered the cup, “The children are playing in the drawing room and have already eaten. I thought we could enjoy an adult-only breakfast.”

Aileigh appreciated the idea and leaned back into the chair, cup in hand. “I don’t think you are going home tomorrow like planned. Please know you are welcomed to stay as long as you, or the weather, desires.”

“Thank you.”
Cordelia paused, hesitated even. “I had a question.”

“Coraaaa!”
Rhozin broke his silence, looking at his wife. Confused, Aileigh looked between the two of them.

“Oh, come on! She probably already knows what I want to ask. It’s hardly rude.”

“Ask what you wish, please.”

Cordelia’s face lit up, but there was anxiety underlying. “You’re clearly a good seer… I was wondering if you would do a reading for me? I know you don’t usually do readings for people… So it’s okay if you don’t want to… But I would be grateful. I’ll even pay you, if you wish.”
Daughter of Aishe & Akos
Aileigh

Post by Aileigh »

Following Cordelia's hesitant request, Aileigh found herself laughing. It was a light, amused laugh. "Of course I will, Cordelia. All you need to do is ask. And no, I will not take payment. You may be gaje [non-Rom], but we do not charge family. It'll be my pleasure. We will do it this afternoon!"

Cordelia seemed relieved. They spent the next while eating and chatting, until Aileigh excused herself hearing the baby cry. She rushed upstairs - quite literally ran - so she might beat the nursemaid. Thanks to her enhanced speed, she met the nursemaid at the door and shooed her away. Mary was kind, but Aileigh was too much her mother's daughter and insisted on raising her children herself.

After caring for the unnamed newborn, she returned to her room, where a bath awaited her per her request. She bathed and readied for the day. She dressed warmly to keep the blizzard air at bay, with wool lined leggings beneath a heavier dress. Today, she dressed Fenian for Fenian weather. If they were not snowed in, she would likely accessorize, but knowing there would be no visitors, she forwent any Romany jewelry. She often mixed styles, staying true to her Bravian and Romany roots, while honouring the land she lived in.

As she stepped out of the bedroom, she was met with Andrzej. He caressed her cheek and stole a kiss before letting her pass by. She giggled and carried on down the hall to check on Thea. She poked her head in the room only to find her wife sleeping. Leaving her be, she went back downstairs to find her other children.

They were still in the drawing room with their cousin. Rhozin and Cordelia had also relocated to the front-facing room. Aileigh joined the children on the floor. Zev and Winter were playing with blocks, while the twins began to fight over a doll. Their mother found a second doll and offered it to Corabel, leaving the first with Elodie. This seemed to satisfy the infants and peace was had. In was in moments like this, Aileigh wished Cordelia lived closer. The Highlands was on the edge of Fenia, a few days carriage ride away. It made visits infrequent, especially when both viscountesses had active viscounties to look after. Aileigh also split her time between Ettinford and Paz, visiting her mothers and family. All in all, family time like this was rare. She enjoyed every second.

Soon came nap time. Once they got everyone settled in, Aileigh returned to the newborn's nursery and feed the little girl before rocking her back to sleep. She emerged from the nursery and immediately went in search for Cordelia, who had returned to the drawing room.

"Alright Cora, let's see what's on your mind." Together, the women left behind Rhozin and Andrzej and went to a room downstairs that Aileigh rarely let others into. Bookshelves lined the room, containing old tomes, books, and crystals of all colours and sizes. Pendants hung from the high ceiling alongside dream catchers. Heavy curtains kept the light at bay with a desk poised beside the big windows. A sitting area was on the far left of the room, with a table and three chairs in the center. It was a brightly coloured room, full of pattern and texture. A slice of Romany culture in a Fenian estate home.

She sat down at the central table and motioned for Cordelia to do the same. Sitting in the middle of the table was a covered crystal ball. Aileigh smiled and lifted the cover off the crystal ball, revealing the bright white crystal. It was perched atop golden unicorns. The crystal ball and holder was a wedding gift from her aunt Morjiana, who was her mentor and teacher.

"So tell me, what is it you wish to know?"
Daughter of Aishe & Akos
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia was anxious. She had never visited a seer before to seek out her fortune. Rhozin was no help either - for in a world full of magic, he was skeptic of fortune telling. And yet, time and again she had seen Aileigh speak truth before it came to be. Surely, if seers were real, Aileigh was a good one. She had heard from Aishe, whom she was friends with, that the familial gift was strong with Aileigh.

They were at Ettinford, trapped in by a snowstorm, so she might as well take advantage. She asked hesitantly, afraid to be turned away, but to her relief, her fellow viscountess said yes. Then it was a matter of waiting.

She occupied her mind with Winter. She was growing so quickly. The little redhead was usually calm, but a temper flared at times when she was frustrated. With her temper came outbursts of her abilities to bend the air around her. Thus far, it had resulted in broken vases, knocked candles, flying pillows. She always felt on edge around her child because she did not know what Winter Pearle Lisbet was truly capable off.

It did not help Rhozin had different abilities. The air bending, as his family called it, was a rare gift amongst their elemental powers. They cherished Winnie all the more for it, but there was no one to teach her, which they would need as she grew. It gave Cordelia stress, but her husband tried his best to keep her mind at ease on the topic. His reassurance and support meant a lot, but it didn’t change the fact that Winter could hurt herself or others.

To keep her from getting tired-grumpy, she put her daughter down for a nap and returned to the drawing room. She sat alongside her husband, leaning on him with her eyes closed as he read. When she heard Aileigh’s voice, grey eyes opened. Her heart began to race. She ignored any looks Rho gave and got up, following Aileigh to a room in the estate she did not know existed.

She looked around in awe. She had seen the Rom’s style many times, but the room was breathtaking in colour and patterns. She took it all in as Aileigh sat before following suit. Grey eyes searched blue for a moment before biting her lip.

“I wanted to know… Will there be more children in our future?”

Her words were strong, hiding the anxiety bubbling beneath the surface. They had only been married for two and a half years. Winter was nearing her first birthday at the end of the season. However, they wanted more children and it wasn’t for lack of trying. She got pregnant rather quickly with her first, so she felt a bit broken having struggled for near a year to conceive again. That uncertainty and insecurity was what put her in front of her friend and seer.
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Big Sister to Elisabeth “Elisa” | Cousin to High King Zuan, Thea, & more
Married to Rhozin Gellygen of Kiene | Mother of Winter Pearle and Keir
Aileigh

Post by Aileigh »

Cordelia’s question somewhat surprised her. She didn’t realize her cousin-in-law was so hopeful for another child, especially given Winter becoming a bit of a handful. The idea of two Winters was almost amusing, if it were safe.

It had her wondering about her own children. They appeared to be human, but the twins were hers biological, so they did have vampire in them. Would it ever surface? She wasn’t sure, to be honest. There was much about her life she kept shielded from herself, so the seer can enjoy the surprise of her life’s journey… Such as her children’s lives or her growing romance with Andrzej. She wanted to experience it all firsthand.

Bright eyes fixated on the crystal. It was used to as a focus to induce visions. She didn’t use the ball often though. It could be difficult to work with and it was far from her speciality, but she wanted to work on it. So on this given day, it was her method of choice, remembering the strict lessons her aunt Morjiana had taught her. A crystal ball was not a toy; it was a great tool in the hands of a good seer.

Images flitted through the crystal, unseen by Cordelia. Her head tilted slightly, analyzing what she saw.

“Have patience, Cora.” She said softly, looking at the woman opposite her. “Your womb will welcome another… But remember, love does not have to be blood.”

Cordelia’s face lit up immediately and breathed a sigh of relief. Smiling, she gave her thanks.

“Do you think you’ll have more? … With Andrzej?”

“I do not peer into my future. It can easily become a burden. But.. Maybe someday. Maybe.”

The women then began to talk about their relationships, enjoying the privacy of the room. Aileigh’s relationship with her protector was a secret to the outside world, but it felt good to talk to someone besides Elisa about it. (Ironic that it was her older sister.) They stayed in there for a while before leaving the room in giggles.

Cordelia, Rhozin, and Winter stayed for a few more days, but once the roads were safe, they headed home to the Highlands. (Cordelia had her hands full getting her viscounty in working order and running smoothly, since it has been neglected for so long.)

A quiet settled over Ettinford once again.
Daughter of Aishe & Akos