animal prices

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Datron

Re: animal prices

Post by Datron »

Though in all the disscussion you can not justify why the price was raised when they have sold at 50 for as long as I have been here. Other then the reason that you raised the price is because you can. Greed is no viable reason to raise the price. Overproduction at the council level is neither a viable reason if the price of maintaining them is to high.
balerion

Post by balerion »

arthur_loxley wrote:I'm not sure what the Fenians pay, nor do I care. When I assumed office, animals were at 50, and sheep were at 55. There is no logical reason why there would be a different price for different animals; as a result, chicken and cow purchase price was raised to compete with sheep. There is now no preference in prices and animals are maintained as healthy as possible. The price increase does not hurt your pocket, nor mine. It is a difference of five pounds, not fifty.
Yet another reason why people should be elected directly into offices and not onto councils. This is ridiculous plain and simple. How much is it that you make personally from your position again?

How about we talk to someone who lives on a farm in real life? Hello, my name is Balerion and I live on a farm. If you sold a cow at the price of a chicken you would be out of business before you even opened. Think about it.
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Datron

Post by Datron »

arthur_loxley wrote:I'm not sure what the Fenians pay, nor do I care. When I assumed office, animals were at 50, and sheep were at 55. There is no logical reason why there would be a different price for different animals; as a result, chicken and cow purchase price was raised to compete with sheep. There is now no preference in prices and animals are maintained as healthy as possible. The price increase does not hurt your pocket, nor mine. It is a difference of five pounds, not fifty.

Also did you ever think that sheep may be more expensive because they graze and are not fed by the buyer there by the initial cost is not a detriment to them overall?

As quoted from the grand library of the mages

Sheep Care and Life Cycle
Once purchased, each sheep has it's own health rating which fluctuates randomly based on it's health. Unlike chickens or cows, sheep graze on their own and require no feed to survive.
balerion

Post by balerion »

Balerion starts trying to hatch chickens from his eggs.
Shaker of Castles
pygmental

Post by pygmental »

Actually Fenians pay 45 for chickens, but I've never seen an animal with good health when I buy it, lol. Of course with all the livestock dropping dead within a couple days of purchase now profits have taken a huge dumper.

A wheat farmer telling a cow farmer he makes good money on his wheat??!!!! Really?! Like by selling it to them to feed their cows with?

Now i don't know exactly what you are making or losing on breeding animals. I am pretty sure that assuming all animals are exactly the same is a bad idea. Since they all take different feed and prduce different goods why in the world would someone assume they give the same profit?
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

Although a recent batch of animals were definitely not 100% healthy when I purchased them last term, the ones I bought yesterday were at full health so many thanks to the new Minister for correcting that issue. (I know from experience in that very office that it does take multiple days to bring animals to full health if they haven't been fed in a while, depending on how low their health was). I think our assumption is all animals being tended and sold by the VR will be at 100% health.

Having said that, as a cow rancher I would welcome more justifications for raising the price of cows as the 20F extra on the day of purchase is not insignificant when filling a field. Was it to address an imbalance on the market, or were numbers worked in chambers that showed a logic to matching the prices of the very different animals and their outputs to make farming more equitable across all farms? Is it just a place the VR saw an opportunity to make extra money for the coffers? Could the numbers be shared?

Of course I would prefer to buy cheaper cows but I would be interested in hearing more about what drove the change. :)
Maria

Post by Maria »

I would also be intereted in understanding how the animal prices are determined. I recently switched from sheep back to wheat because animals require a large outlay of money and the profit margin was not worth it.

A full sheep ranch will break even at around 12.50 IF all the animals are over 80% healthy (mine weren't when I bought them). If they are less than that, or if you can't afford to keep the ranch full, the break even is much higher. I felt that I'd have to charge too much for wool to make a profit equivalent to selling wheat.

Of course I also realize that the Viceroy has to make sure they cover the price of fodder needed to breed and feed. But I wonder if that was worked out before the pricing was determined.
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

Hmmm, curious :oops:

Do the animals in the castle die of old age? or could this now be a risk?

Are the animals staying in the castle for a long time with each time they eat the costs of keeping them go up? as in like only a handful of farms and not many being bought, or maybe over breeding?

If the sheep don't eat anything would they be very cheap to keep would only be breeding right?

Was it being run at a loss before or did it go up just cause the feature was just added?
Edward_Spike

Post by Edward_Spike »

(animals dont have an age in the castles, and Chickens are at the least ever at 50-60 % health pygmental, which isnt bad (or wasnt..) considering the only reason their health would stay there would be because of not feeding them, and that is all you do with chickens anyways, or should be. *shrug* and wow this is my first post in Bravia since... months hehe)
balerion

Post by balerion »

When you talk about cows you must also remember the bulls, steers, heifers, calves... :P
Shaker of Castles