[CRP] Of Harts and Pears

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Cordelia

Re: [CRP] Of Harts and Pears

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia was pleased. He did as she asked, and the moment their hands touched, tail wags began. The pits moved forward to sniff and investigate a bit, while the greyhounds found places to lounge. There was an immediate concern that rose, one she did not think about. Was he allergic to dogs? But his statement stopped after mention of his mother and her alone. Thank the Mages because she’d rather end the betrothal than get rid of her dogs, Zuan’s wrath and all.

She did not notice the lingering of his grasp, far too distracting by a topic she was eager to discuss. She gave a nod and moved around him to sit in the chair nearest to his previous seat.

“I do. I try to take them on walks every day. It’s good for all of us. They do have free roam though and spend nice days out in the courtyard on their own.” She gave Kaya an affectionate scratch under her chin, while Veli’s interest in Rhozin persisted. “We go hunting regularly too, or whenever I can. They are all excellent hunters! My father enjoyed hunting and he adored greyhounds, but my preference are these monsters.”

“Monsters” was said in a loving way, in reference to their muscle and build than their personalities. Her dogs meant the world to her; they were the closest thing she had to children, or even constant friends. She offered up a tip, unsure how he would end up feeling about the dogs. “They are trained well. If you ever want them to leave you be, you can say “back” and they will back away or you can say “out” and they will leave the room entirely. Now they know you’re here, they may be curious and hang around you. They sleep with me though, so they shouldn’t bother you at night.”
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Big Sister to Elisabeth “Elisa” | Cousin to High King Zuan, Thea, & more
Married to Rhozin Gellygen of Kiene | Mother of Winter Pearle and Keir
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

Rhozin smiled, pleased with her answer. He was about to ask if it would be alright with her if he'd join them for a walk after dinner, when Cordelia mentioned hunting.
"You hunt?" he asked, surprised. Well that was the last thing he had expected! He had never met a young lady before who enjoyed hunting.
His family wasn't that involved in the practice. Perhaps because they didn't have dogs, or perhaps because Rhozin's father was not very good at it. He had taken his son on a few short hunting trips, but clearly lacked any enthusiasm and so Rhozin never got a lot of experience in it either. Instead he had spent most of his free time hiking or crafting with his magic.
Rhozin was definitely interested in joining her on a hunt some time. Even though it would be a little embarrassing for he was so inexperienced himself - especially for a noble young man - he wanted to improve the skill and he really wanted to see Cordelia hunt. He had trouble imagining this polite noble lady with her fancy clothing in such a setting, to be honest.

He returned to his former seat and held out a hand for the dogs to sniff, and would scratch behind their ears if they allowed it. "Thank you," he said in response to Cordelias's advice, not sure if he would need it, but who knew when it would come in handy.
Wedding night, perhaps.
The thought made him cough a little and he cleared his throat. "So," he began after he banned the unnerving thought from his mind. "Will you take them for a walk after dinner? If so, I would like to join. If you don't mind, that is, of course."
Ta achládia den orimázoun móna tous. Étsi orimásame mazí.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

A light blush rose to her cheeks when he questioned the hunting. Despite it being her favourite activity, she had yet to bring it up. A handful of men found the skill set unladylike. Rhozin did not strike her as a hunter himself, so she had been reluctant to share her passion. Ultimately though, he would come to find out because she would never stop. So, she gave a confident nod.

“My father taught me everything he knew. Both of my families enjoy hunting, but especially the Everharts. The Hartlands are full of such a fun and interesting variety of game. It is not the safest place to hunt for a novice, but... Well, if you are not strong with hunting and wish to come along, I’m sure I can fend off any stray beast.”

Cocky? Nah, just confident in herself. In hopes of providing proof, she added, “I am the best archer in the family.”

That included the king, but she left that unsaid. Being a petite woman, she was handy with a sword, but really just enough to defend herself. It was the bow that she excelled with. Mauir, their bard, often teased she was part elf with her ability to move through the forest and string her bow so flawlessly.

She crossed her ankles, giving another nod. “You are more than welcomed to come with us. In fact, if you’d like, we can spend tomorrow morning riding through the area.”

Following her offer, a maid entered the room. She gave a curtsy to them before announcing dinner was ready. Cordelia rose to her feet, pressing her hands down the front of her gown as she did so. She led the way across the hall. The food was laid out across the table, with small platters of sides vegetables and rolls. Alice sat at the head of the table, sipping on a glass of wine. She gave a warm hello as Cordelia sat on the right side of her mother. A third plate for Rhozin was set up across from Cordelia, to Lady Everhart’s left. It wasn’t until
she sat down that she realized how hungry she was. She waited patiently as her plate was filled up by a servant, not picking up her fork until everyone had food.

Dinner went smoothly. The conversation was polite, filled with small talk. Her time at court made her an expert in small talk, yet she yearned for the point they would be beyond that.

Following dinner, Cordelia retired to her bedroom with the hounds in tow. Behind the closed door, she sighed heavily, feeling the day weighing down on her. She quickly changed into her nightgown, put her jewelry away, and climbed into bed. It did not take long for her to fall asleep to the sound of distance waves and the loud snoring of Veli.

She did not stir again until her handmaiden opened up the curtains with a gentle “good morning”. Cordelia mumbled, opening an eye before rolling onto her back. Arms raised, she stretched out with a yawn. She sat up, stirring the hounds sleeping around her. The light coming into the room told her it was early morning. She was an early riser, finding the morning to be quite peaceful. It was a pleasant time to be alone with her thoughts.

The smell of hot klahua drifted towards her, directing her sleepy gaze. It was enough motivation to get out of bed. Mug in hands, she moved to her wardrobe to figure out what she wanted to wear. They would be going riding, so she chose a more relaxed style of dress for the day. An emerald gown, with fitted sleeves and lots of fabric in the skirt, would be sufficient for riding. Her maid helped her dress before Cordelia dismissed her, leaving her to put her boots and jewelry on by herself. She put on a pearl necklace and earrings. Her hair had been intricately braided while she was enjoying her klahua, but she otherwise left it plain of decoration.

She left her room and headed down to the dining room to pick at some biscuits with another cup of klahua. The hounds chose not to join her, heading into the courtyard instead, and Alice was nowhere to be seen. Just as well, she would enjoy the quiet until Rhozin came around for their ride.
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

He tilted his head, quite intrigued. Cordelia didn't come accross as someone who would brag or lie about things, so when she said she was the best archer in the family, Rhozin believed her, even though he still had some trouble imagining it.
But did she just... offer to protect him?
Rhozin was a bit taken aback, not sure how to respond to that. After all, was it not supposed to be the other way round: Once married, he would protect her in the face of danger?
Perhaps Cordelia didn't notice his confusion, for she continued talking and offered to go riding tomorrow. To this, he gladly replied. "I would enjoy that," he smiled.

Soon after, he followed her to dinner, grateful to have something to do while conversing. Though the conversation reverted back to small talk, during which he probably complimented dinner an unnecessary amount of times.

Once returned to his rooms for the evening, Rhozin sighed. He was clearly the only man here. No talking about orchards and sawmils with father and wealthy merchants over one or more glasses of perry this time.
He picked up the wooden jewellery box, turning it over in his hands. So she likes to hunt, he thought to himself. And she likes her dogs. He smiled, an idea forming in his head. It would take him a while, but with the right materials and sufficient time to himself in the evenings, he might just be able to come up with a gift she may appreciate.

Perhaps it was due to the unfamiliar bed and the sound of the waves, but Rhozin woke early and was already out of bed, freshened up and dressed to go riding by the time the Everhart's steward entered his room. He thanked the man for the fresh klahua and drank quietly in his room before heading for the dining room for breakfast, and to find Cordelia. He looked forward to go riding with her and get to know the area. At least riding was something he knew how to do, though a strange horse could be a challenge. Well, should anything go wrong, Cordelia would protect him, right? Rhozin smirked wryly and shook his head, before entering the dining room.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Approaching footsteps drew her gaze upwards. She had been sitting in a daze, lost in her thoughts while her mind still woke up. Blinking a few times, the horned wolf refocused herself, beginning to feel the caffeine. Grey eyes watched the door closely to see who was going to enter.

There was something about seeing Rhozin that put a genuine smile on her face. She could not pinpoint why though. Maybe she was just relieved he didn’t run away in the middle of the night. Or maybe it was because he was already dressed, which meant they could escape to the outdoors at their leisure.

Mug cupped between her hands, Cordelia leaned forward with elbows rested on the table. “Good morning. How did you sleep? I know the first night in a new place can be a bit restless. Would you like anything to eat or drink?”
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

Rhozin smiled in return. "Good morning, Cordelia. I slept well, thank you." He took a seat across from her, a bit surprised to find her alone.
"Will your mother be joining us?" he asked, not wanting to be rude by serving himself before everyone was present. Then again, she asked him if he wanted to eat or drink, which of course, he did. Breakfast was quite a big deal back home, with plenty of food to choose from and a mother who would purse her lips in annoyance at anyone showing up late.

He would serve himself if Cordelia did, and then - perhaps worried for more small talk - he steered the conversation towards the topic of their plans for the day.
"I look forward to getting to know the area," he said. "I ride my horse frequently back home. Though I enjoy walking, too. My friends... eh, some of them, don't know how to ride."
He looked away for a moment. Had it been unwise to pretty much let Cordelia know he had commoners among his friends? It had been quite inevitable for him, growing up in a land where a lot of nobility had either moved away shortly after the volcanic eruption, or had lost everything they owned. Unless he had wanted to spend most days by himself or in the company of his annoying sister.

Nevertheless, he tried to change the topic to her own person. "You must enjoy riding with your friends." he smiled. "Do you have plenty of horses here at Hart Helm?"
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

“I do not believe my mother will be. Some mornings, she stays in her room for a while. She knows she can be a slow riser, as I’ll be up to handle anything that needs swift attention.” She left out the suspicion that Alice was intentionally giving the couple space. It was her way of meddling - forcing them to be together without the distraction of another. Typical mother.

She listened curiously, wondering what sort of friends Rhozin would have. It seemed like it could be a variety. Life there had to be so different to life in Fenia. Kiene had gone through hard times more than once in her lifetime alone. The people there were strong. And horseless, apparently?

A bright red flushed her cheeks, putting the remainder of a biscuit back on her plate. She was flustered, which was unlike her. She washed down the biscuit with a sip of klahua, using it as a moment to recollect herself. She could still feel the heat on her cheeks when she began a response.

“We have a quite a few horses. It is the best form of travel through the countryside we have and they are easier to care for during harsher seasons than the alternatives.

As for friends... I cannot say I have many.”
She paused, taking another drink. “We have a bard, Mauir, who is the closest friend I have. He is traveling right now for inspiration, unfortunately, so I have not seen him in a few months... And he has sort of shifted from my home to the royal palace. The King enjoys his tales.

Other than that, I have my cousins... Dorathea used to visit often when we were young. We grew apart though, until recently. Zhou used to spend a lot of time with me until he began his diplomacy career.

Usually, it’s just my mother and I. There’s never really been anyone my age around Hart Helm. I do have some creatures at court that I enjoy spending my time with, when I am there.

Suppose that’s why I have the hounds.”

Cordelia might as well admit it, rather than ignore it. He would find out sooner or later. Normally, she was not embarrassed by her lack of friends, but it was somehow more unnerving to tell her future husband that she was a social butterfly with no friends.

“What are your friends like? Would you like them to come to the wedding? I will happily pay for their travel and there’s rooms here or the Inn that’s down at Helm Port.”
Last edited by Cordelia on Wed May 05, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

Rhozin listened to her while he ate, nodding politely every so often as she mentioned the horses, and smiled slightly as it appeared Cordelia's friends, though few, were not strictly limited to nobility either.
Then he noticed the colour of her face.

He wondered why her face was flushed so when talking about friends. Then, realisation downed on him. This bard Mauir was to Cordelia what Melyn was to him.
Close friend, hmm. Travelling for inspiration, of course. The king enjoys him, sure. Rhozin knew better. The man was sent away so Cordelia might forget about him and marry the one her family wanted her to marry.
What Rhozin thought before coming here was true: like himself, she had loved, or maybe still loved, another. Yet they had no other option than to make the best of the arranged marriage their families desired for them.

"I'm so sorry." Realising he had said that out loud, he quickly took several sips of his klahua, then cleared his throat. "The growing apart, I mean. People come of age, start careers and new families. It can be difficult to stay in touch."

Would he want his friends at the wedding? Rhozin took his time chewing the bite of food in his mouth before answering that question. Would he invite the few friend he had among the remaining Kienian nobility? For sure. But what about the friends he had closer to home, the ones he had secretly been drunk on perry with, the ones who were now merchants, carpenters, brewers and blacksmiths - some already married with children, the ones who knew Melyn and his feelings for her. These lads would attend his wedding, in the presence of Fenian royalty...
Rhozin knew Kiene did not have the best reputation in the Secfenian south, after everything that happened following the volcanic eruption. Apparently, some foreigners even believed that only peasant-folk remained in the Viceroyalty Kiene! Would Rhozin not only add to this image of his homeland by inviting tradespeople to his wedding? He wasn't sure he'd feel comfortable with exposing his friends to potential judgement and awkwardness. Especially if it would also be known that his fiancée had paid for them to be there.
Rhozin swallowed his food, and sighed. Her family was vastly richer than his, that much was true. But that did not mean he had no funds of himself to spend.
"Well, some of them might have no time for an extended trip, I'm afraid," he said. "Though I'm sure I can help those who wish to come get here, milady, should they need my aid."
He noticed he sounded annoyed, and tried to soften his words with a small smile. "You are very kind to offer rooms at Hart Helm."
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

His apology initially caught her off-guard, but his following statement seemed to right the confusion. Cordelia wondered if he was close to those around his age within his own family. He had a sister and she had a feeling they were not very close, which made her wonder who else he may be close to. "Thea and I chose different paths. Where she chose rebellion, I chose duty. It could boil down to something as simple as I am of closer relation to the King. I am his first cousin, closest relative outside of his siblings with my mother the little sister to his father. Thea is a more distant branch... I think it gave her more freedoms, or at least the illusion of it, so she just... Blossomed differently."

It was something she had often pondered. The differences between herself and her cousin varied, but ultimately, she felt that it stemmed back to their standings. Cordelia felt the pressure of being close to royalty, being apart of two high noble families, and being the sole child and heir to one of them. After losing her sister, for which she held herself responsible, she felt there was no room for error. It was all on her.

Her offer seemed silly after his response. She should have considered the reason they may not be able to attend was not the cost of the trip itself, but the cost it would take out of their livelihood. The missed work and opportunities would be difficult for his friends that were not noble. "I mean no offense... I am sure that you can assist them. I only meant that I would help too, if you wanted or needed it." She seemed a bit flustered as she shifted. "If something is important to you, then I shall endeavour to make it important to me too. I will happily host whomever you want, for the wedding or otherwise."

She sat her mug down and rose to her feet, eager to escape the conversation. "Let's go find you a horse you like."

Taking the lead, she headed outside. The morning air was a bit crisp, fresh blooms mixing into the salty scent of the ocean. It was refreshing, immediately putting a smile upon her lips. They were greeted by her hounds, each of whom she petted. They were happy, tails wagging and coats warm from soaking up the sunshine. Content, she moved towards the stables. She gave a 'good morning' to the stable hand, but otherwise did not pause as she went up to her mare. Heavily spotted in a leopard pattern, she was rust and white. Well tempered, the horse was bonded with Cordelia. They were nearly the same age and grew up together, as her father wished for them to be able to rely on each other in tough circumstances.

"This is my horse, Fairydust. We've been together for twenty years." Cordelia motioned to the line of stalls. "This next horse is my mother's. Otherwise, you are free to chose any horse to your liking. They are mostly the Appaloosa breed; I hope that is alright. They do well here."
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

"No offence taken, I assure you." Way to go! Rhozin was eager to get past the small talk with this woman who was to become his wife, and really get to know her. Embarrassing her by acting offended hadn't been part of that plan.
It didn't help either she mentioned a cousin who chose rebellion rather than duty. He had nearly done the same thing and right now, in the presence of Cordelia, who did her best to make an effort to get to know him better and accommodate him, he definitely wasn't proud of that.

And thus, he was as eager to escape the conversation as she was. A breathe of fresh air, change scenery and room for a different topic of conversation was exactly what he needed.

Once outside, Rhozin petted Cordelia's dogs as well should they come up to him next, grateful the animals helped relieve some of the awkward tension felt between Cordelia and himself.
He followed her into the stables, offered the stable hand a polite nod and then focused on the horses, curious to see what they were like.
He liked the colourful individuals of this breed, all different, and couldn't help but crack a smile upon hearing the name of Cordelia's horse. Just the sort of name a young girl would choose.
"Twenty years? You must have a great bond together," he said. "I was thirteen when I got my own horse. His name is Tywyll. Tall and black like all Kienean Blacks. They are harder to tell apart, until you get to know them."
He took a moment to admire Fairydust, and then the horse belonging to Cordelia's mother, before moving on to the next stall. "Of course the breed is alright." He wondered why Cordelia seemed to want validation for that.

Rhozin stopped in front of the stall of a brown and white gelding, but a few inches taller than Cordelia's horse, by the name of Whiskey. The horse let out a friendly blow through his nose. Rhozin wouldn't think of choosing a more temperamental horse he was unfamiliar with, for a first ride on unfamiliar grounds.
"How about this one? Do you like Whiskey?" he asked and then, realising it sounded like he had randomly inquired about Cordelia's drinking habits, he added: "The horse, I mean."