[CRP] Of Harts and Pears

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Cordelia

Re: [CRP] Of Harts and Pears

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia gently stroked down Fairy’s neck, enjoying the presence of her spirited companion. Meanwhile, grey eyes remained focused on Rhozin as he examined the options. She found her gaze wandering, standing in such a way to provide the opportunity of a more full.... Appreciation.

He was handsome. She could feel a bit of heat rise to her cheeks, finding herself admiring the man. Kiene and Fenia had not had a great history, and as a result, prominent families did not have great tales spread amongst the gossip. She had been so relieved when she saw him for the first time in the fall. No warts, no strange odor, and human-looking. She had never been a romantic. In fact, she was quite inexperienced and oblivious. But...

Why did his butt look so good in his riding trousers?

His question pulled her attention back upwards. Her wandering thoughts left her in a more relaxed mood - or perhaps it was the environment with an impeding ride. She laughed softly at his question. It was not a teasing laugh, but a genuine one.

“I’ve been known to enjoy a glass or two on occasion.” Mostly around her cousins, but she left that portion out. Thea and Zhou had their way of revealing a more adventurous and wild side of the reserved lady. “As for the horse, Whiskey is lovely. You have good eyes. He can be a bit wild, hence the name, yet he provides a quality ride. I think he is a fine choice.”

She smiles, before going about preparing Fairydust for a ride. Despite being (second) lady of the house, she preferred to saddle her horse. She was not above doing things herself. Anyone who knew her understood that she actually enjoying proving she could do things instead of being waited. However, the stable hand was there to offer assistance to Rhozin should be wish it.

Cordelia took the reins into her hand and led Fairy out into the courtyard. There, she hoisted herself up into the saddle. She waited for Rhozin to follow suit before urging Fairy forward, towards the gate. Once the gate was opened, she felt a surge of freedom. She gave Rhozin a grin, before nudging Fairy. The horse needed no encouragement as she bolted forward to descend from the hilltop.
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Big Sister to Elisabeth “Elisa” | Cousin to High King Zuan, Thea, & more
Married to Rhozin Gellygen of Kiene | Mother of Winter Pearle and Keir
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

"Whiskey it is, then," Rhozin said with a gentle smile, referring to the horse, and perhaps also to the drink.

He was a little surprised to see the stable hand come to him immediately. In Kiene, it was custom they would help the lady first. Perhaps it was because he was a guest here?
Or she was saddling her horse herself.
A small grin appeared on Rhozin's face. Cordelia liked to do some things herself, rather than relying on servants for everything. He could appreciate that. Unfortunately, as he mused over this, the stable hand quickly finished saddling Whiskey for him and caught his attention with a polite "Your horse, milord."
Rhozin resolved to take care of the horse himself upon return to the stables, so Cordelia wouldn't think of him as the kind of nobleman who was completely helpless without servants.

Outside, he mounted the horse and followed Cordelia to the gate. "A fine day to go riding, don't you think, Cordelia," he began.
She grinned in response.
"Where will we go f..."
And just like that, she took off, leaving a gaping Rhozin behind.
"Cordelia...?" He blinked, then shook his head with a chuckle and lightly patted Whiskey on the neck. "I see I have to prove myself. Show me what a fine choice you are then, Whiskey. Don't let me down, buddy."
And with that, he chased her down the hill, his noble lady with her brown hair and green gown, who seemed to have a wild streak after all.
Ta achládia den orimázoun móna tous. Étsi orimásame mazí.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

There was nothing like feeling the wind through her hair. Riding was her second favourite thing; the first favourite being hunting, of course. Fairydust and her were as one when they rode. They saw and breathed as single being, facing every curve and obstacle together. It was a bond she could not imagine sharing with anyone else.

The descent from the hilltop was swift, grass kicking up as she veered off the path to create her own. A glance over her shoulder confirmed Rhozin was not far behind. She finally felt more relaxed with him nearby, in the wide open space of nature... like she could be the woman behind the lady. It was a weight off her shoulders and even if it would be brief, her guard dropped.

She continued forward in a gallop until a distant sound of water could be heard. It was then that she eased Fairydust into a trot, adjusting her position on the saddle to support the shift of pace. Past the bottom of the large hill that Hart Helm loomed from, there was a small area of old trees and wildflowers. A creek ran through this sliver of nature’s “garden”, the water creating a soothing bubbling sound as it rushed around and between stones. The creek spilled into the river that was within eyesight, which not too far off fell from the cliff face beside Hart Helm, down into the sea. The river was a bit dangerous, the current stronger certain times of the year with the weather changes. The creek, however, was perfectly safe.

She gently pulled on the reigns to bring Fairy to a halt. With a wide smile, she turned around to look at Rhozin. “This is Eden. The closest and most peaceful refuge from life at Hart Helm.”
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

Rhozin didn't manage to completely catch up with Cordelia before she halted, but at least he didn't stay too far behind. Halting Whiskey, the first thing he said was "Cordelia!"
There was no shock or disapproval in his voice, rather a hint of admiration.
"Beautiful. I mean, this scenery is beautiful."

He dismounted and led Whiskey towards the creek, in case the horse wished to drink. It also allowed him to postpone making direct eye contact with Cordelia, and collect his thoughts.
She was quite something! Definitely exceeded expectations. Though it would take more time before he could completely forget about Melyn, he did find himself growing curious about Cordelia. Their first trip together and she took him to a special, peaceful refuge.

Rhozin looked down at the flowing creek, noticing the different coloured stones under the water surface. He smiled, remembering the idea he had come up with the previous day. He should collect some stones here before they left.

Finally he turned and offered Cordelia a smile. "Do you come here often? It's so quiet and peaceful. A perfect place for studying, I would think."
Really, more romantic words were never spoken. Rhozin couldn't decide whether to mentally laugh at or slap himself.
He awkwardly rubbed his neck and cleared his throat. "So, since we didn't plan to, eh...study. What would you say we have a drink here together and you tell me more about your life here?"
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Did she go to Eden often?

That was a good question, but one that carried a sad tale. She decided let him resume speaking as she dismounted. Her hands dropped the reigns, letting Fairy do as she pleased, while Cordelia watched the man closely. He seemed more relaxed than he had the day before, which in turn put her at ease.

When he mentioned drinks, she tilted her face upwards. Like a sunflower, she took in a moment to drink in the lazy sun before deciding to nod. Hopefully the weather would hold for more riding later, but it seemed too tranquil not to take a moment and enjoy the sunshine. After all, what was the rush? They would have their whole lives to ride all day, if they wanted to.

She took a moment to withdraw a bottle of iskerberry wine and two small wooden cups. They were not anything fancy, but they were perfect for a late morning rendezvous. She passed off the glasses as she broke the wax seal off the bottle, taking a moment to wedge the small knife she kept in her belt into the cork. The inconvenient way of opening the wine was effective, if a bit more barbaric looking than a corkscrew. It was only after the satisfying pop came that she shyly looked up through her lashes, hoping he was not looking down on her.

“Mark is phenomenal, but he forgot the corkscrew... Hope you don’t mind.” She tried to hide behind the rising embarrassment by pouring them each wine and wandering over to the creek bed. She took a seat on the grass, tucking her legs beneath her. The bottle was sat on a nearby rock to prevent spilling, but it was within reach for refills. Her silence seemed to be flooding the space between them, so she decided to finally answer his question.

“Yes and no. Coming here often, that is.” She sipped the wine, enjoying the sweet flavour before souring her tongue with a tale not widely spoken of. “When I was a child, I used to be brought here often by our nanny with my sister. We do not talk about her much, but I had a little sister. Her name was Elisabeth.

When we were young, she was taken from this spot. It was an ordinary day, until it wasn’t. It’s been fifteen years - I think I am finally making my peace with her death —“
She added in quickly: “We never found her. There was never a ransom or anything. So, she’s since been declared dead. She has a gravestone next to my father’s. She was only two.”

And there it was. The guilt she had carried all these years, creeping up into her words. She had been there. She had gotten away. Her sister did not. She was the big sister - it was her job to protect Elisabeth... But she had failed. Cordelia still carried survivor’s guilt, all this time later. Even when her adult mind tried to reason: she was only six; she was just a girl; what could she had done? It drove her towards duty and family, forging the woman she became. And still, the pain laid there.

“I was not allowed to come here for a long time after that. But as I got older, I started coming and now I frequent Eden. It’s where I can find the most peace some days. This was a special spot, you know? I named it Eden in reference to my sister’s favourite fairytale. It seemed appropriate.”
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

If he looked down on her, it was merely caused by their differences in height. In fact, Rhozin might be standing there with a stupid grin on his face, rather enjoying Cordelia's resourcefulness.
"I don't mind at all," he said. Only then he realised he should have offered to open that bottle, rather than watch her struggle. What must she be thinking!

He sat down next to her, keeping a respectful distance, though still within arm's reach. Should they toast to something? To the future? To a happy marriage? No, too soon. He racked his brain as the silence filled the air.
But then she spoke and took a sip of the wine, and so he decided to drink as well, and listened.

By the time Cordelia finished, Rhozin stared at her, eyes widened. He opened his mouth, closed it again, as he looked for his voice.
"I... that... that's devastating!" he said, shocked. "Cordelia... I'm so sorry."
What had he caused with his thoughtless question? He had expected her to tell him about the daily tasks at Hart Helm, and the activities she enjoyed. Not tell him about what must be one of the most traumatizing experiences in her life, so soon after he arrived here, too!

In part, he felt grateful, almost honoured, that she trusted him with this story. But she looked so vulnerable now, and lonely. He felt like he should put an arm around her, and began to reach out, then hesitated and pulled back. And what if she should tear up, what should he do then? It felt inappropriate to comfort her, so soon, at this stage of their relationship, if you could even call it that. But to sit there, be polite and distant, felt even more wrong.
"I'm so sorry," he repeated. And again he reached out, pulled back, reached out again and carefully took her free hand in his, giving it a light squeeze in an attempt to comfort her.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Following his apology, she furrowed her brows just ever so slightly. Did she make things awkward? Was this an inappropriate thing to share at this stage? What was this “stage” though? It was strange: they were to be married in just weeks, and yet they were efficiently strangers.

“It’s okay, Rhozin.” She said softly, pulling her eyes from the bubbling creek. She looked up at him and offered a genuine, albeit small, smile. “I feel I should apologize. Was that inappropriate to share? I fear that I am outside of my realm of... Experience.

Yet, you are to be my husband before the summer’s first harvest. Are there things I should not speak of? You would find out at some point; I would rather not restrict myself or skirt around parts of my life when you are about to become my partner in it. Unless you want me to, of course.”

She added the last sentence, eyes searching his face to see if she was coming across rude. A bit of red rose to her cheeks and she looked away. Her inexperience in personal relationships was certainly showing.

“Shouldn’t there be no secrets? I hear that’s how a marriage is most successful. Friendships too... And I would like to think we could become friends. Is that foolish?” Cordelia boldly looked back to him. His answer would be very telling of the situation.
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

Was it inappropriate? Some would argue it was, but Rhozin wasn't sure he agreed. And even if he'd ever come to that conclusion, he wouldn't tell her, not after she spilled her heart out like that.
"No, don't apologise. I'm... glad you trusted me like that, to learn about it. It must be difficult to talk about."
He still held on to her hand, wondered if he should let go or if that would come across as a rejection. He stopped squeezing and held it very lightly instead, giving Cordelia the option to pull away if she wished.

He offered her a small smile. It seemed as if on some level, she was as eager to do away with the formalities as he was.
"I didn't consider it inappropriate, I assure you. I was shocked to learn of it, of course, such a traumatizing experience for your family. But I'm glad you told me, really."

Shouldn't there be no secrets, Cordelia asked, and Rhozin was ready to agree, until he realised that meant he should have no secrets either. He would have to tell her how he nearly eloped with someone else. Right after she told him how she lost her sister.
No, he couldn't do that. Not yet, at least, and not here.
After all, she hadn't told him about her feelings for this 'best friend' Mauir either.

"Eh," hopefully he did not look as uncomfortable as he felt. "Not foolish at all, Cordelia. Of course we can become friends." Omitting the part about secrets, well done. "I look forward to going riding more often. Sure we have more things in common."
Such as having feelings for another before meeting each other.
It was his turn to blush now, and all the while Cordelia seemed to try to look right through him, as if demanding honest answers.
"You're not at all as formal as you presented yourself before," he blurted out.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

The light touch of his hand seemed to grow heavier with the intensity of the conversation. She did not pull away, but was it as unnerving for him as it was for her? It was like an army of sprites were causing a proper flurry inside her.

His acceptance towards the idea of becoming friends caused her to forget about the rest of her statement. He may not have mentioned secrets, but true friends did not have secrets, so nothing seemed amiss to her. If anything, it seemed to be more overwhelming. The heat of his skin was becoming distracting, but his outburst was efficient in getting her attention.

Formal.

She wanted to wrinkle her nose, but she could not bring herself to scowl. After all, that was who she had chosen to become: a lady of nobility and royalty, chin held high with duty. Of course she could come across as formal - seeing as that was who she was whenever she wasn’t alone.

“And you do not have any warts that I see.” Her tease awkwardly shifted into a raise of concern. Finally, she pulled her hand away from his, doubting which version Rhozin wanted: the lady or the girl. “Is that a good thing? My formalities, not your lack of warts.”
Rhozin

Post by Rhozin »

"Warts?!" He blinked, and if Cordelia hadn't let go of his hand, he probably would have let go of hers. What on earth had the Fenian monarch told her about his family? "No, no indeed I don't have warts."
Rhozin was even happier now that the pimples of his early adolescence had disappeared completely. A small grin appeared on his face as he hoped she had been joking with that comment. After all, his own comment that sparked it had been rather blunt.
"There is a time and place for formalities. I'm glad being here with me isn't the time or the place." His grin widened. "I also hope my lack of warts is a good thing."

The rest of their riding trip was pleasant and uneventful, with Cordelia showing him the harbour and other places of interest near Hart Helm. The atmosphere between them was more relaxed now and Rhozin was grateful for it, although Cordelia's comment about honesty and secrets kept bothering him in the back of his mind. He promised himself he would eventually tell her what happened before he came to Fenia, but not before the wedding. And, so he told himself, did he really do anything wrong? She hadn't told him about her own love for another man either.

The weeks that followed were increasingly taken up by preparations for their upcoming wedding. Several times, Cordelia had left Hart Helm for hours to do things he wasn't allowed to know about. Wedding dress fitting, Rhozin guessed, for what else could it be.
He had sent specifications for his own wedding attire to a tailor back home, as well as invitations to his family and friends. Furthermore, he had requested for a crate of the best pears of the season to be sent over to Hart Helm, where they would be baked into an elegant and no doubt very delicious wedding cake. Rhozin was quite excited to add a touch of Kiene to the wedding, especially after Cordelia had admitted to him that she had never tasted a pear before!

Between the preparations and socialising with his wife-to-be, Rhozin used his free time to work on a small present for Cordelia.
"Sit still, Veli!" he told the pitbull, his eyes still on one of the rocks he had collected from the creek in Eden. "Sit now, play time later."
With utmost concentration, he moved his hands in intricate patterns, slowly and carefully shaping the rock into a miniature dog that had to resemble Cordelia's beloved Veli. The other three dogs already had their stone miniature. Veli was the last one, and the most difficult one at that.
A knock on the door caused him to mess up, the magic backfiring into his own fingers. "Agh!" Rhozin shook his hand and sucked on his fingers, making his "Come in!" sound very muffled indeed.

Mark Steward opened the door. "Milord, your pears have arrived. Are you quite alright?"