Strange Awakenings

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Wolfmist

Re: Strange Awakenings

Post by Wolfmist »

Wolfmist looked from the hideous book back to Xavier. Wolfmist could hold a grudge forever, but he wanted to learn. So in regards to this particular grudge he bit his lower lip and crawled over to Xavier and tapped him on the shoulder this time. He sat on his knees and waited a few moments before handing it to him, but not in a way of handing back, just to sort of show him.

"What does this say?" he pointed out to the front cover. "I... I can't read."
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Xavier turned to face the boy. He saw him handing him the open book and pointing to words. Hmmm...I guess his interest finally got the better of him. Xavier sat up straight and got confortable with his legs crossed. He took hold of the book and read te words out loud. Abrangue os mortos e roubar as súas almas. Dálles a vida unha vez máis e deixalos de proa da miña vontade. Eu son o mestre e servo. Rise meus seguidores! He finished reading the book and looked to the boy and saw his face was a mixture of confusion and amazement. He sighed and thought how he would translate this into a tongue that the boy would understand...he thought about it and then decided to make it simple for him to understand. Wolfy.okay..listen closely...this phrase is a spell to raise the dead. The diagram next to it shows the set up of the ritual...here you need salt and some ash and then make the following pattern. Obviously once you have mastered it you do not need the diagram but for now it helps channel your essesence into the spell. Xavier thought he had done a reasonable job of explanation...making up for the fact that he for the life of him was unable to translate the spell itself.
Wolfmist

Post by Wolfmist »

Wolfmist looked at Xavier, "Properly? Like really bring back someone? Or is it just a trick... a vessel with something else in it?"

He was worried that anyone should ever cast that kind of spell. What if someone created one of those minions Xavier created to help with the workload and couldn't control it like he could?

He waited for Xavier's response.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Xavier looked at the boy with amusement... Yes Child...this summons somebody back to life. This is different to what you saw earlier...it is a primitive form of the spell used to emtomb my soul in this rotting corpse. The effects last no more than maybe ten minutes and it can only be of somebody rcently deceased for it to have effect...unless you are very powerful. If powerful enough you can have the somebody who died many moons past. If powerful enough you can summon anybody from the clutches of death for a brief period of time. the inner workings of such a spell are complicated and would take too long to explain. He threw two bags in front of Wolfmist and gestured to the book. give it a go...set it up as in the book and chant the words...for the spell to take effect you must picture exactly the person you wish to see. Xavier waited to see what the child would produce. He had suspisions about the boy.
Wolfmist

Post by Wolfmist »

Wolfmist looked from the bag to Xavier, then the book. The diagram looked easy enough but the language in the book, despite being unable to read it, looked long and complicated enough to never be able to understand it. He looked up at Xavier once more, at those eyes - if you could call them eyes.

"OK, I'll try. But let's do this safely, OK?"

He took up the bag, the necromancy book and the other books, the ones he had learned the basic symbols from. He tried to fit them into the bag temporarily until he got down the ladder and into the paddock. He looked around and saw that the horses were currently away in their stables, supposedly asleep or looking out at him docilely.

He went down the bottom of the paddock as far as he could go until there was a clear 5 meters on either side of him. He set the bag down and opened the books. Duh, it was dark now and he couldn't see the text. So he took the salt out of the bag and carefully poured out a little into the shape of the fire symbol. Touching it with a licked finger, it burst into life and a cosy fireball hovered a few centimetres in the air above the symbol.

It was as wide as the symbol was draw and as high as Wolfmist's midriff. That always seemed to be the rule about these symbols, they matched only the conjurer's physical mass unless the symbol was wider than the length of the person's height, even then it only went as tall as the half the symbol's width time that of half the conjurer's height. In short, for the flame to be as big as the castle, it would have to be almost 5 times the castle's thickness in width all the way around. Wolfmist guessed that these symbols were only starters, like a match to a bonfire - he guessed that the books held spells to make them more powerful after the simpler symbols were drawn. For now, though, this simple fireball was enough to read the books with.

He realised that the whole area might have to be lit so that he could see what he was doing, so he created 4 more, one roughly at each corner of the paddock area he was using, and made the symbols a little bigger so that enough space was lit. One thing that unnerved him was that the flames were simple and unaffected by wind. He wondered why that was until he had completed all 4 basic symbols on his bed. THEN the flame behaved more naturally and he nearly regretted it. He supposed that magic didn't grant anyone's wishes unless you told it what to do exactly, until it came to spirit. This, he supposed, was because spirit related to Life and Life was unpredictable.

And that unnerved him more, since what he was about to do concerned Life, and the opposite, very much. This thought kept nagging at him as he drew the large diagram on the floor in salt then, as instructed, retraced it with the bag of pitch. He had originally intended for the practice to be a small affair, tracing the details from the middle fireball carefully and hoping to confine the multitude of symbols to as small an area as possible.

But holding the book up against the light of one of the corner fireballs and looking over the top of the book at the symbols, he scratched his head in annoyance.

IT WAS HUGE!!!

"Xavier," Wolfmist started, "have I done this right!?"
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Xavier had looked over the boy's work and was amazed at the accuracy of the symbols upon the ground...he was pretty good at this. He moved over when the boy was amazed at the drawing he had done...it was smaller than what he had ben taught to do but than that compensated for the boy's small body and moreover mind. He was young and the mind untrained...he might put too much strain on it as he had done with that orc. He stepped in and fixed a few small mistakes in the line work. He stepped back and looked at the work...he was a quick learner. That is fine...it can be improved upon but it's simplicity obviously is easily learnt by you. Now repeat the phrase I said...do you remember it?

Abrangue os mortos e roubar as súas almas. Dálles a vida unha vez máis e deixalos de proa da miña vontade. Eu son o mestre e servo. Rise meus seguidores!
Wolfmist

Post by Wolfmist »

"Arabrangyou on tortoise... Arabrangyou is morose... er... whaaa?"

Wolfmist shook his head at his incomprehension of the language. Instead he looked at the mistakes corrected and scratched his head. "No, that's not right... you just rubbed out the symbols for spirit. What are those?"
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Xavierson sighed as he looked at the boy struggle to repeat what he had said and then dared question is corrections. What matters of foul garbage have you thought up about the Spirit? It is not needed in these rituals for we do not deal with those that are among the living. We draw upon the essence of something not of this reality. We need no Spirit but instead we require emptiness. That is why it has been altered boy...if you had kept the symbol for Spirit attached to the diagram you would have most caused grave destruction... Xavier paused his mouth as he thought about what would happen...he knew from experience...but the child might not understand at this time...he rubbed his head and knelt down next to the boy, grabbed Wolfy's hand and placed it upon the ground in the center of the symbol. Boy, repeat after me..we shall do this slowly.

Abrangue
os
mortos
e
roubar
as
súas
almas.
Dálles
a
vida
unha
vez
máis
edeixalos
de
proa
da
miña
vontade.
Eu
son
o
mestre
e
servo.
Rise
meus
seguidores!
Wolfmist

Post by Wolfmist »

"Atber angway oss more toss eee roo bar ass sewers all mass. Daa llamas avi daa unt haha vez mace e day ixy all oas day prowa daa minyaarr von ta day. Eww son of mess tray ehh servo. Rise my use segway indoors!"

Wolfmist waited. Nothing.

He struggled under Xavier's grasp and tried to seize the book to wave it under Xavier's nose. "But this isn't what the book shows, Sensai! Could it be that it only goes wrong if you don't draw it right? Did you rub out the 4 main elements? That could be why your way doesn't work, right?"

Wolfmist tried not to breath in the soil his face was being pushed into. He liked green living grass, but not this much.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Xavier sighed and looked at the child...he released his grip and eased back. He glared at Wolfy. Do not question my knowledge Wolfy...I think now would be a good time for a demonstration...don't you? Prove that the teacher is right. Xavier's eyes flared green and he placed his hands upon the symbols. He then uttered the words in the book from memory and then closed his eyes...he thought back to someone he had heard recently died..somebody he knew....his mind drifted to his friend he had met in the tavern...killed by a knife only yesterday...he would never tell the boy the origins of the man but it would sitll be a good demonstration. There was nothing...silence..but that silence disappeared all too quickly as a bone chilling moan eminated from the circle and a white mist shrouded Xavier and Wolfy. Xavier stood up and looked at the ghostly apprition standing before them both and gave him a smile. Estevao my old friend! We have not drank in so long! How have you been! Xavier was met with an all too aknowledgable grunt from the man. You bloody sod you...how do you think I am doing!?! I am bloody dead ain't I? Who is this pipsqueak?