A Curious Discovery

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Wolfmist

A Curious Discovery

Post by Wolfmist »

Wolfmist was walking along the edge of the market street, blindly walking around people, getting in the general way, feeling like the whole world was on his shoulders. Hands in his pockets, he was walking to the university. His family didn't have any answers for him and his mentor was quiet these days, just lying there rotting to himself. Necromancers were weird.

This he had to find out for himself, this thing in the corner of his eye. It was just a black mass of coiling smoke, sometimes visible as a tall man in a long coat, sometimes not visible at all. No one else could see him, apparently. Just an invisible friend? Wolfmist hoped he wasn't crazy, but it seemed right in a way, the man being there at the corner of his eye. Was him that was responsible for his memory loss?

He couldn't read or write, so he was dreading the university. He wasn't even sure where to start and he was afraid of asking for help in case they whipped him for heresy. It was a strange building, the university. But it seemed newer than it should be. The building had been there for ages, a lot older than Wolfmist's 9 year old body, and yet it looked as if it had just sprung up out of a single massive block of marble just five minutes ago. Knowing Fenia and its habitants, it probably just had.

Entering the main gate he looked around. He was impressed.
Alex31

Re: A Curious Discovery

Post by Alex31 »

Alex the Dwarf had just finished cleaning half of the windows at the local temple. He was new to town and did not have any set job right now, so he would do anything to get money. It seamed that he was the only Dwarf around for many miles and the thought gave him a feeling of an adventurer, something he had always longed for.

He picked up the bucket filled with cold soapy water as a young boy walked right past him. They almost bumped into each other but he just kept walking without looking to the sides as if Alex was Invisible. After working in the temple and being so short, I think I should be used to being ignored he said to him self as he walked over to go get some more water to clean the windows. When he came back, he saw the boy was still there, staring at the giant marble building. He stared at the boy trying to see what he was doing and he noticed that he looking to his sides as if someone was talking to him so he decided to see if he was alright. Hopefully this kid isn't as crazy as he seems he told himself in a quiet raspy voice.

Just as he walked up to the boy, the kid started walking into the building. "Hey Kid are you alright?" shouted Alex as the boy was going to enter the building..
Wolfmist

Post by Wolfmist »

Wolfmist looked around and saw a dwarf shouting at him. He wasn't much taller than the boy, what with Wolfmist being only 9 years old.

"Uh... yeah, sorry... I was just er... admiring the view. It's massive! Sorry, I just wanted to go to the University, see if there was anything I could find about... well... I am not sure yet. I don't want to alarm anyone, it's ok. I'll move along now." He gave the dwarf a customary tug of his forelock, something he had been taught to do in his tailor shop when addressing a peer, if Wolfmist didn't have a hat.

Looking over his shoulder again, he looked at the dwarf then proceeded into the University itself.

He was awed again, this time at the impressive carpentry of the bookshelves, the customer desk and the reading tables. The smell was nearly intoxicating, a mix of paraffin, beeswax, leather and parchment. Tentatively he approached the customer desk and stood on his tiptoes to peer over the side of it.

"Uhm... excuse me? Anyone there?"
Alex31

Post by Alex31 »

As The boy entered the massive buitlding, he was very attentive to his surrounding. Alex then decided to enter the tall building as well, curious about what was in the inside, not knowing what it was. The room seamed empty, so he decided it wouldn't hurt to take a look inside. It seemed very dark at first but then saw the rows shelves filled with books. The boy shouted to see if anyone was indeed in the building but no one replied...

The Dwart hobbled his way over to the boy to ask what this place was but as he came over a booming voice from behind said "What do you kids think your doing here?!"

Alex frowned for being confused with a boy as young as the kid he just met, but decided it would be best if he ignored that thought.
Wolfmist

Post by Wolfmist »

Wolfmist nearly jumped out of his skin when the booming voice made itself clear to the back of his head. He turned around carefully, hands in the air as some peculiar kind of nervous reflex, then realised it was the librarian. He also noticed the dwarf he saw on the way in.

"I er... I came to study. I wanted to know if you had any books on magical history, hopefully localised to Fenia, perhaps?" he felt silly because he couldn't read. He was hoping to ask the librarian privately but that hope was shattered when the librarian shouted at him and the dwarf.

"And he's come to help me!" Wolfmist nudged up against the dwarf, trying to put on a façade so that the dwarf didn't get in trouble on his account. He smiled at the dwarf, hoping he would get the hint.
Alex31

Post by Alex31 »

The Dwarf saw the sign the boy had make to him. "Oh yes, I'm here to help!" He noticed he still had the wet cloth in his hand and started wiping a book shelf next to him as if it wasn't already sparkly cleaned. As he cleaned the Librarian just stood quiet, a rather intimidating thing for him to do. Then All of fthe sudden he shouted "Do not get near those Books!" Starteled, Alex put down the cloth and looked at the Librarian."They are Ancient scrolls of the legacy of modern magic and are very rare!! I'd rather kill you then let you put a single drop of water on them." The dwarf looked puzzled at the threat but said nothing, humans could have a rather vicious side...

He decided to take a sit on the floor thinking that the chair may be made of something rare and make the Librarian even more mad. He looked at the kid and decided to let him do all the talking with the librarian, afraid that a single bad comment by him would cause the librarian to go on a rage attack.
Wolfmist

Post by Wolfmist »

"Please... ma'am, we're just here to learn, ok? I am looking for books that might be similar to this."

He pulled a book out of his satchel and showed to the librarian. She took it off him with a waspish curiosity and traced her fingers over it. "Necromancy: A Chilling Tale." she read from the inside cover. She then looked at the outside cover and realised what she was holding. She jumped and gave a "Yarghhh!! A book bound in human flesh!? No, we never allow such things in here... where did you get that thing!?"

"Xavier gave it to me, the necromancer working a wage in the stables with me," Wolfmist started but was interrupted.
"OK! Enough... enough... studying in the University will be 20 freznics for a tutor or 5 freznics to study by yourself... just... don't ask me any more on Necromancy or I will throw you out on your ear."

Wolfmist checked his pockets. His Tailor Shop wasn't selling anything this week. He looked up at the Librarian then looked at the Dwarf. "I guess I didn't think about that."
Alex31

Post by Alex31 »

The Dwarf no longer felt confortable hanging around with the young boy after showing the book made from human flesh. This kid has problems! but he decided to stick around just in case there was something to be taught. On the other hand, what if the kid got mad at him and decided to put another curse on the dwarf for abandoning him. Even worse, what if his next book is bound by dwarf flesh! It would be best to be friends with him then enemies.

"Well I'm barley scraping by! I don't have a cent on my right now. It's your choice, I'm just tagging along! What do you want to do? Cleaning window's doesn't pay much but I think it's really worth it. You meet lots of great people plus you get to do nothing most of the time! That reminds me, I should tell the priest I'm done or something.." Said the dwarf remembering his job.

"Unless the librarian lady has a job for us.." He said looking at the Librarian.
Wolfmist

Post by Wolfmist »

"No Payment, huh? You boy.. you work for the priest? Take this envelope to him for me and you can come back to study for a few hours. And you... you work in the stables? With that monster?"

"He's not a monster! He's... my friend!"

"Well, whatever you call him, I forbid him to come near my books. Come back when you have payment. Out of curiosity, what exactly did you want to know?"

"I wanted to know if... well it sounds nuts but... did a black mage ever live here?"

Wolfmist found himself kissing the road shortly after.
Alex31

Post by Alex31 »

"Nice type of service right?" Said Alex in a very sarcastic way. "Well at least we now know what to do. Just raise up a couple of bucks and you'll be able to do whatever it is you came to do.." Said the Dwarf, still unsure of they boy's Intentions. "Well, I believe we haven't really introduced ourselves. I'm Alex, Recently moved here, away from all the dwarfs just to see what else there was in the world." (I live in Paz tho :P) "So want to go to the Priest right now? It's kinda late as it is... Want to meet here again?" Asked the Dwarf as they started walking down the road..