[RP] Thorn - Fire and Ice

Moderator: Community Team

Thorn

Re: [RP] Thorn - Fire and Ice

Post by Thorn »

Thorn listened to the young girl speak, and watched as she interacted with Annabel. The fact her daughter seemed quite taken by this girl was enough for Thorn alone, but that the girl knew the Manor and had done the job before pleased her.

May I ask your name? she asked pleasantly, thinking that if the girl could start so would be wonderful. I think my daughter likes you... her name is Annabel.

Thorn paused thinking, wondering if maybe this girl also knew of others who used to work here too that might want work. It would simplify her search if so.

There won't be a great deal of work for you, Thorn said thinking. I live simply and don't entertain... don't know any here. I don't suppose you know any who might need work... I need someone to take care of the gardens... the area is too big for me. Also a cook would be useful.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Oh I'm Kathyn, Ma'am, she said curtseying again, wanting to kick herself for her lack of manners. Your daughter is a beauty, and such a pretty name.

When the lady started to explain the set up in the Manor Kathryn listened, glad not to have to ask about the other posts, not wanting to be too forward on first meeting.

My young man, John. He used to be stable hand here Ma'am, Kathryn answered. I'm sure he'd be happy to come back, and oh of course Ma'am... I know a cook, the old cook here. Mrs Tibbs... a cheery woman and a great cook, she paused thinking, a smile coming to her face as she realised the garden too. Mrs Tibbs husband... Alfie... he used to help the old gardener here. Want me to ask them, Ma'am? I can for yer.

Kathryn stopped talking, smiling as she realised it could be like old times at The Manor, but her face dropped at that thought. Nothing would be the same. Thorn was gone. So terrible. Taking a breath Kathryn composed herself, looking at the lady and her daughter. Now it seemed there was a new Thorn... how strange.
Thorn

Post by Thorn »

Thorn listened as Kathryn introduced herself, chuckling at the mention of her young man being happy to come back, knowing he probably had little choice once Kathryn had finished telling him. Smiling she listened as Kathryn chatted. She seemed a bubbly young girl and Thorn liked her. She would keep the air light in The Manor. It was with interest that Thorn heard of Mrs Tibbs and her husband, hoping they were available and willing to come back. To have servants who knew the Manor and each other would be a perfect scenario.

I would prefer it if all your posts were taken as live in, Thorn said carefully. I am sure you know where all the rooms are, and even had a room before. You choose from any in the attic. If your John wants the stable job he is welcome, and I believe there is a flat above the stables. He can stay there... alone, Thorn smiled kindly, realising for decency sake she had to say something, hoping Kathryn understood.

If Mrs Tibbs and her husband want cook and garden then please tell them come.

Thorn looked at the girl and realised something bothered her, some thought, but she did not pry. Thorn explained that Kathryn could start tomorrow, that she was welcome to bring her things later today, and maybe John. She asked Kathryn to speak to Mrs Tibbs and find out if she wanted to cook at The Manor again, and ask when she could start. Following a few more questions, a general talk, Thorn saw Kathryn out, and closing the door smiled at her daughter.

Things are coming together, she said smiling. With that she returned to the library, a room like no other she had seen before, a room she felt most at home in. She fitted the room.
Thorn

Post by Thorn »

It was a few days after Thorn had met Kathryn and she had been impressed at how quick Mrs Tibbs and Alfie had come asking for their jobs back, and Kathryn had brought her young man with her when she returned with her things. Thorn had marvelled at how easily she had felt at ease with them, no doubts in her mind at her decision. What amused her was how often she caught the cook look at her, the comments about meals when she went to discuss them with her. Mrs Tibbs it seemed thought Thorn did not eat enough, but there was this nagging memory in her head that was trying to remind Thorn of something.

Thorn watched Annabel sleeping, laid on the couch nearest the piano and smiled. Her daughter was amazing in her eyes, so alert and so well. Since the first time they had stepped into The Manor her daughter seemed to wake up, and since then it was as if she was aware of far more than Thorn herself was able to understand. Quietly she stood up and walked to the piano, lightly trailing her fingers over the smooth wood. Sitting on the stool she lifted the lid that covered the keys. Without thinking she placed her hands over the keys and began to play, her fingers lightly touching the keys, playing a sad little tune. The music filled her head, and her eyes shut she played on, and it was only as she allowed herself to question where she had learnt to play that her fingers stopped moving, her hands raised from the keys.

Glancing round at Annabel Thorn was confused. There was so much she did not know. So many gaps in her memory. Thorn had not known if she could play the piano, but now she knew. Little things since coming to Fenia City niggled her, made her question the history she had been told following Annabel's birth.

Thorn stood up from the piano, restless. She glanced at her daughter, sleeping and oblivious to anyting around her at that moment.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Kathryn saw the new lady of the Manor stood looking out of the window of the sitting room as she entered. She looked troubled and Kathryn now wished she had found something to do than to come seeking a task.

I'm sorry to disturb you ma'am,
she said wondering if she should wait for Thorn to acknowledge her presence. I was wonderin' if I can help?
Thorn

Post by Thorn »

Thorn turned and saw Kathryn just inside the doorway of the sitting room. She smiled at her, seeing the girl looking nervous for some reason. She glanced at Annabel asleep on the couch and considered. Thorn felt restless and in need of something to do, but she did not know what. Turning back to Kathryn, feeling exasperated with herself she sighed.

If you would watch the baby for me Kathryn, Thorn started to say. I need to get some fresh air. I need to think.

Without waiting for a response Thorn hurried from the room. She was embarrassed but did need to walk and think. The Manor felt so familiar, so right to her in every way. The staff she had hired again fitted in so well and she felt at ease with them. Everything was as though from another life, and yet Thorn did not know if it was the architecture, the style, but she knew every nook and cranny. The desk in the library Thorn could visualise herself working there and she nearly laughed, a hint of hysteria creaping into her voice at such a silly thought. She was sure she had never worked in her life, sure she had been married and taken care off. Well she had to have because she was indescribably wealthy, whatever inheritance she had acquired from her husband. So many thoughts were going through her head that it hurt.

Leaving the building by the front door, pulling it close behind her, Thorn headed to the right, across the large lawn and round the side of the Manor towards the more private gardens. The day was again a bright day, summer coming early she decided. the openness of the lawns gave way to shrubs and hedges, and trees, flower beds everywhere with the colours and scents of various flowers. Thorn paused, looking around her. The garden was refreshing. Walking on she reached another area and gasped at the spectacular sight. The largest rose garden she had ever seen. She followed the path now, leading in a large circle, rose bushes everywhere, a small grassed area in the centre, something about it... Coming to a bench Thorn sat.
Lordblackhawk

Post by Lordblackhawk »

On his way home Lbh decides to call at the Manor to see if the lady has settled in alright.

Knocking on the door he is directed to the garden by Kathryn.
Thanking her he walks around to the side of the Manor noticing that the garden is a bit wild but he has no doubts that the lady will soon have it tidy again.

Turning a corner he sees her sitting on the bench.
His friends favourite place to rest.

Standing watching her Lbh gets a shiver up his spine.
He looks around for the cause but can see nothing.

"Something is not quite right, I can feel it."
"Magic is at work close by."

Kneeling down he places a hand on the earth.
Closing his eyes he draws on his powers to seek out the cause.

Finally he stands up and smiles.

"It is benign and not here to cause harm but I sense a shadow of my friend watching over it."

Clearing his throat loudly in order to let the lady know he was here he calls out.

"Good morrow lady. How does the day find you?"
"Settling in well I hope."
Thorn

Post by Thorn »

Thorn was sat enjoying the peace and quiet, the sounds of birds and the rustling of plant leaves in the background of her thoughts. She liked this spot a lot and wondered how long it would be to get the garden back to its full glory, the weeds being very noticeable amongst the flowers. Hearing a sound Thorn turns her head and seeing the mentor smiled softly.

Hello Lbh, Thorn greeted, almost frowning as she said his name, a memory, or something else, flashing past. Confused Thorn took a deep breath before continuing. I'm well thankyou. I think I am all settled... the Manor is like I never lived anywhere else... it fits like a glove.

Thorn looked down, her own words confusing, spoken without a thought and yet she knew it was so. Why she was sharing this with this man Thorn was unsure. He posed no threat to her, that she was sure off. There was something about him, and looking up she smiled slightly.

Would you care to join me? she asked indicating the bench.
Lordblackhawk

Post by Lordblackhawk »

At the ladys words Lbh says, "Thank you. I will."

Sitting down on the bench Lbh leans back, he looks at the lady from the corner of his eye.

"Curiously but, this was the previous Lady of the Manor favourite spot to get away from everything." he says.

"Seems like you have similar tastes to her."

Turning round to face the lady he speaks..."Excuse me if I seem out off order but...."
He pauses wondering how to put what he says.

"There is something about you."
"Something that reminds me of her."
"I dont what yet but....it is not unfriendly."
"Maybe, you didnt chose the Manor. Maybe you knew that it was right for you."

Lbh looks at the lady wondering what she thinks.
Thorn

Post by Thorn »

Thorn watched the mentor sit and then looked away, at the flowers in front of her, the roses scents surrounding them, the colours vibrant and alive. There was something very magical to Thorn about this area, the roses drawing her attention, and she did not understand why she felt this way. Thorn felt him watching her and yet she did not feel uneasy, or threatened. Yet his words made her curious and she turned to look at him again.

She liked this spot too? Thorn asked outright thinking she had come here to get away from something, just unsure what it was. Thorn looked at the mentor, worry behind her eyes. The more she stayed in the Manor, the more she felt there was a reason. As he looked back at her and spoke, Thorn felt a strangeness. She was scared and she did not know why, yet it was not of this man. There was a sense of more.

I don't know to what you refer, but the Manor... it is as if I know it, and even the servants. None of this makes sense. Nothing is right. I don't belong here, Thorn suddenly said, a feeling that she should not be here and she looked at him with that fear in her eyes.

This lady... what happened? Why did she leave?
Thorn asked.