(guide) Woodchopping for dummies

Moderator: Community Team

Adonair

(guide) Woodchopping for dummies

Post by Adonair »

Being a long time resident of Cork, I've often seen people go happily off into the forest to collect wood. Rarely does anyone ask for guidance, but being an officious sort and having been commissioned by the Viceroy to conduct a study, I offer these guidelines:

1. You must be in a wood town to chop wood. Cork and Staunchville are the local haunts, widu is just over the border in fenia.

2. If you have intelligence below 25, an axe is optional.

3. If you have intelligence 25 or above you can get significantly better results with an axe.

4. grasp the handle of your axe and use the shiny side to cut trees.

How to: If you're using an axe make sure it appears in your equipment. If not, select 'wear' next to your plain axe. Now go to 'town' on the top tab, then 'forest' from the sub-menu then select 'chop' from the new screen. If it didn't work then you're either not in a wood town or you've already acted for the day (includes recovering from death). Chopping wood is a job action you can only take one during that day.

How much wood will i get? Without an axe i've not seen a result above 5 bushels. You will average 3.5 bushels. Without an intel of 25 I've seen only one result of 6 amongst many many results. If your intel is below 25 expect an average of 3.5 bushels also. If you have both an axe and intel of 25 or more expect an additional .5 bushels on average for each 25 IP with a maximum of 100 IP. So for those well equipped geniuses out there you can average 5.5 bushels. Results are always in full bushels and luck does play a part.

My axe brokeded :cry: or i don't got a axe :? : Get one at the market and don't pay more than 60. The viceroyalty or your mayor may be willing to grant you an axe if you will provide them with wood at a set price. Contact them for details. Also, quit crying you big baby and use proper english. Your chance of an axe breaking is approximately 36-1, but it will eventually happen.

fashion statements: The axe is the de rigeur accessory. A helmet can provide a small bonus to your intelligence and prevent any roleplay mishaps. There is no way currently to get injured while chopping wood in Secfenia, but you never know, it could be implemented in the future. Other clothing is up to you, but remember you only get one chance to make a good first impression.

Pricing: In Bravia you can usually set any price on your wood, but it may not sell if its too high. Check your market and set your price competively. You may also be able to make a bargain with local craftsmen who use wood or you could sell to the mayor or the viceroyalty. Government entities usually pay between 5.00 and 5.50 for wood and prefer to buy in large quantities.

Songs: Some people find that singing while cutting wood makes the time pass more pleasantly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPYfaTv ... r_embedded includes a nice chopping song.

Any more questions or if you would like to make alternative claims or suggestions, just post right here in this thread. Good luck and happy chopping!
Aarwen

Re: (guide) Woodchopping for dummies

Post by Aarwen »

For reference:
I have compiled the date provided by Adonair on council, together with his guide and the wiki in the public lobby, in addition to my own data to make a couple of tables and a graph showcasing the results. For the fish I used a category for each probability of catching a fish, and for the wood I used a category for each intelligence bracket plus the bonus yield you can get.
The two main conclusions are simple:

1) That the average salary is similar at low(er) salary, which is not only reasonable under the principle of similar pay but also from the realism point of view, as Adonair pointed out rarely do we see high intelligence people chopping wood. Profit from wood is marginally higher than that of fish but just marginally. The important thing is to consider "reasonableness".

2) That the sell price are balanced within the market context of offer/demand, which is very positive for our Vice-royalty economy stability.

Conclusion: Therefore, based on this data, it seems to indicate that what we have in place, with the current prices, is fair and best value for money.
Further research can be done, for example, with a group of 10 fishermen and 10 woodcutters, with different status, over 30 days, to retrieve and analyse data.
Jandar

Post by Jandar »

Adonair wrote:Being a long time resident of Cork, I've often seen people go happily off into the forest to collect wood. Rarely does anyone ask for guidance, but being an officious sort and having been commissioned by the Viceroy to conduct a study, I offer these guidelines:

1. You must be in a wood town to chop wood. Cork and Staunchville are the local haunts, widu is just over the border in fenia.

Any more questions or if you would like to make alternative claims or suggestions, just post right here in this thread. Good luck and happy chopping!

North Staunchville also has forest, just finished chopping there yesterday. :)
Serene

Post by Serene »

Oh update, axes don't randomly break anymore. They will break when they get to 0% . You can use holy resin to maintain axes.
Calysta

Post by Calysta »

Update: Widu is no longer a wood town... It's an orchard town (oranges).
Serene

Post by Serene »

Serene giggles hysterically!
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Calysta wrote:Update: Widu is no longer a wood town... It's an orchard town (oranges).
It is also no longer over the border in Fenia :D
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

An additional note after chopping wood:

Please feel free to sell them to the Town Hall. TH rate varies. Please check the TH announcement (IG) to see the most update selling rate.

Also, it is highly suggested that you send the Mayor a message about the wood in the market for the TH.