The Guild of Dark Sorcerers (RP for All!)

Moderator: Community Team

balerion

Re: The Guild of Dark Sorcerers (RP for All!)

Post by balerion »

Why can't it be both. I suppose one such as yourself cannot know how comfortable towers are.
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Brikka

Post by Brikka »

Brikka looked out a window and up the tower wall. Tail. She found a window on the other side of the tower as the dragon commented on the comfort of perching. As she passed the raven, he nodded in agreement and floated as if in liquid inside the bubble cage. She poked her head out and looked up from this side of the tower; she could see Balerion's head. Good. Her volume rose, but her pitch stayed as usual.

"Dragon, the Master Koschei say if you wish a lesson, must come inside. Comfort not be for us apprentice. What say you?"

She tilted her head and considered his size. She looked sideways at the doors. If he could fit and not cause damage, he had potential, she decided.
balerion

Post by balerion »

Balerion reluctantly climbed down the tower and squeezed through only breaking 3 boards in his passing. "You need to get a bigger door!"
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
koschei

Post by koschei »

Koschei scowled at the broken boards. "You need to get a smaller you!" he muttered, before turning back to Brikka and the bird.

"Now, the first thing we need to do is to find an assistant. For preference, I use a raven of the spirit world. But, creatures of the other realms are uncomfortable in the realm of flesh! (There's a lesson for you, remember that.) So we must give them a suitable coat to wear while they are here."

He gestured toward the bird, hanging in suspension.

"Now, to go venturing into the astral plane, and find my old servant! But first, I would impart to you an important lesson!"

Scuttling over to a shelf at the side of the room, he takes down a worn book bound in leather of indeterminate origin. Holding it in his left hand, he claps his right onto the book, shakes it thrice, and then, suddenly, there are three identical copies of the book. He puts one - the original, one supposes - back on the shelf, and offers the other two to the students.

“Acolytes - hear me!
“Sorcery is not the debased and wild stuff that flies through the world with nary a thought nor a purpose! Though you may see creatures using magic for their own savage ends, do not envy them! Their power is raw and unrefined, and their acts lack forethought and style! A fox-woman may seduce and destroy a man for her own amusement, but it is only her instinct that thus compels her. A troll may hide himself from the eyes of the hunting hero, but he gives no more consideration to the process than you or I would give to the nature and cause of our own flatulence!

“Sorcery - whether the powerful acts we work in service of the dark cause, or the laughably pious tinkerings of our enemies who serve the light - is a serious practice, for serious wizards. With it, you will achieve tremendous power, power enough to bend the world and to bring your neighbors to their knees! But to do so, you must devote yourselves to its study and its proper application. The practice of sorcery, I say, is what separates us from the thoughtless creatures.

“Now - that being said, there are two ways in which you might work a magical act. The first is ritual magic, where you prepare your materials, learn the rites, and construct the act from a prescribed set of steps and ingredients. If I offend you, and you blast me with a Fireball crystal that you have prepared during your research, you have successfully and properly used ritual magic to improve your life and destroy your enemy.

Ritual magic is what we will learn first! This book - The Book of the Magus - describes in broad strokes the different sorts of magic in the world. It will not tell you how to perform rituals, but it will give you the grounding you need to proceed with your studies.

Do you have any questions before we proceed?

[OOC: Congratulations! You are now both Acolytes, and are entitled to a badge for your banners. I will work on them sometime this weekend, if you're interested. Or you can just add "Acolyte in the Guild of Dark Sorcerers - Book of the Magus" to your signature.]
Brikka

Post by Brikka »

Brikka understood his words mostly. Some she would recall as her learning proceeded. His explanation of the book made her excited at first. That fire grew in her eyes as he spoke of creating spells and using them to smite an enemy. Then disappointment; that thick book of words, the Book of Magus, was a "base" of knowledge. Her face passive as always, she accepted the book and held it as Koschei did. When she thought he was looking at Balerion, she shook it. No copy appeared. Her face tilted down for a few seconds, her eyes blank, then she met his eyes and spoke.

"Master Koschei, I accept assignment. Only question, how long Brikka has to learn this?"
koschei

Post by koschei »

"How long?" he repeated with a slight sneer. "As long as it takes! If you serve well and are diligent in your work, you will come to understand it, at your own pace. Why, it took me 30 years to truly wrap my mind around volume one of Ashkabra's Tome of Devilment - volume one! That's just the acknowledgments! But read through it at your own pace, and in the meantime you'll have lessons to attend - such as this!

We will be entering one of the many realms of spirit, and to do that we must orient ourselves. I will not tell you how I came by this..." he pulled a golden disc from his robe, which was inscribed with arcane symbols around its rim and had a series of large and small movable silver hands which swung around a central point.

"This is a spectral compass. It is tuned only to the realm into which we are journeying. Now, I will show you how to use it. We want to find my old bird spirit, right? So take this, and hold onto it, and think of... let's see, it's a Tuesday, the moon is in the fifth quadrant, ... carry the one ... think of childhood dreams, candied mealworms, and the first cool breeze of autumn. That should get us to roughly the right spot."

He held the disc out to her.
Brikka

Post by Brikka »

A quizzical looks passed on her face. Brow wrinkled and a small frown. Her head tilted ti the side, she tried to think of those things.
'...childhood dreams, candied mealworms, and the first cool breeze of autumn...'
They sounded very human things to her. Finally she managed to recall the feel of the early autumn back home. While she'd never had a mealworm candied, she could imagine the taste. Dreams? She had heard of them but not had them. Blinking hard, trying to find one, a flash invaded her vision; suddenly she could recall a desire to climb mountains. Would that count? of course it will

Nodding slightly, her hand reached out to touch the disc without any concern for the consequence.