The Guild of Dark Sorcerers (RP for All!)

Moderator: Community Team

Brikka

Re: The Guild of Dark Sorcerers (RP for All!)

Post by Brikka »

Brikka stared at him. He was nervous. She was used to this, but he seemed nervous about something other than her size. Looking up the side of the tower, she squinted to see the energies more easily.

"Gennadius Gennady, you go to the woods to find a spirit bird? Why you not find a spirit from your tower? I do not feel problem here. Maybe you have other reason and not tell Brikka?"

She looked the wiry man over again. He was certainly lying but he was not strong enough to harm her. She felt curious now, what his plan could be. She slowly turned sideways to let him pass.

"I will follow. You go first. I keep watch. You tell me about your master and when I can meet him. I will be soon, no?"
koschei

Post by koschei »

He grinned strangely. "Why go to the forest? Because I don't have a live bird to use in my tower! It would do me little good to bind the spirit to a dead bird. Fah! Zombie birds, ridiculous... So, hmm... let me know when you see a raven or a crow, would you?"

He trudged on a few more paces before he spoke again. "I would tell you of Koschei, but you will meet in time. In fact, you might even say that he's closer than you think..." He snickered to himself, looking around for a likely bird.
Brikka

Post by Brikka »

Her instincts said he was not to be trusted, but they also said she needed his support. It was confusing, but her instincts were rarely wrong. She would be patient. She would offer something, then demand information in return. It was the way.

"Gennadius Gennady, I want to meet your Master and learn. My people are powerful. I want different kind of power."

She spotted movement in the trees to the left and squatted to examine a few rocks beside the path. Finding one the size of the old man's fist, she dug in her pouch and produced a length of soft rope. On each end was a stone, but to reach that far she replaced one with the new, heavier stone. She stood still and studied the tree where one shadow was more still than the rest.

"I spend time with our shamans. Their religion give them some power, but not what I want. I want to fell man with a look. I want to point finger at a tree and topple it. When I dismiss someone, I want them gone. Forever. Your Master can teach this?"

Her arm drew back. Her whole body paused to aim. Then the weighted rope flew. As it crashed into the leaves, a squawk and furious flapping were heard. There seemed a fight from the branch to the ground, where the fluttering and protests continued. Brikka walked into the brush without concern and emerged a moment later with a raven, feet gripped in her hand. He was upside down, flapping his wings and screaming at her in protest. When the raven spotted Koschei, he went limp. Brikka lifted him to her eye level, trying to decide if he was dead, injured, or acting. She decided on acting and thrust him at the old man. Why were all non-orc males such limp fish, she wondered? Even birds of prey. How sad.

"Now we meet your Master. You tell me what you do for him while we walk."
koschei

Post by koschei »

Koschei watched her fell the bird, trying to conceal a look of admiration. He listened to her laying bare her desires. Felling men... toppling trees... banishment. Indeed. Her spirit practically crawled with desire for what he could teach. This could be most profitable, so he decided that he could afford to drop the ruse.

"Now, we meet the Master, indeed," he chuckled. He inspected the bird briefly, exerting the barest whisper of will to keep it bound and quiet. Then, without warning, he turned and pointed his thin finger at a tall tree.

A thin line of blue-white light shot from his finger to the trunk of the tree, and he moved it gently from side to side. There was a tremendous crackling sound, as a thin section of the trunk froze solid over the course of a few seconds! A flick of his wrist sent a gale of wind slamming into the tree, where it split neatly and tumbled with a crash.

"Young Miss Orc," he smiled, "in fact, I am Koschei, Lord of the Frozen Tower, Traveler of the Far Reaches of Spirit, and Master of the Demons' Names. If you are seeking to learn the secrets I possess, then we will begin this very day. If you are still interested, of course."
Brikka

Post by Brikka »

She leveled her gaze at the old man. We was so frail in appearance, but that was a deception. He seemed foolishly confident, but his show of strength proved he had reason to feel sure of himself. She could crush him. Her constant face showed no change as she let the image of him dead float over her mind. Then another image followed it, unbidden. Koschei adjusting his body back into place as if it were only ill-fitting clothes. Her eyes narrowed slightly at this, weighing the meaning.

"You are Master Koschei. You know my name. I will learn all you know and more. You offer to teach me."

She tipped her head to the side as if listening to a whisper, then straightened it again.

"What price you ask, Master Koschei? I may accept."
koschei

Post by koschei »

He did not smile, as he normally would. Instead, his breath caught, and he considered.

"What price indeed?" he mused half to himself. A powerful ally, potentially, this orc... very useful indeed. So many possibilities... if only he had the knack of divination, he could follow the threads of what might be! Alas, he had never been one for that art.

He nodded, resolving.

"A rare opportunity I shall offer you, Young Miss Orc. A dark sorcerer, you see, never has any friends. They are a burden and a fool's endeavor, and that is your first lesson. But a clever sorcerer will cultivate allies, for the path to our goals is likely to be littered with the corpses of our numerous enemies. So I put this to you: in return for teaching you what I know, and in fact the means to learn more than I even I know. The training will be difficult, and you should not expect to be coddled if you cannot keep up. That is not my choice. The dark forces may be tools for us to employ but they are not inert objects, and they do not brook carelessness lightly. I will expect you to be attentive, to work with single focus, and to do what is asked of you.

If you survive the training... I will offer you an alliance. We shall do no harm to one another once your training is complete. We shall work together towards our goals. When you require assistance, it shall be given, and if I call upon you in need you will respond. Together we will swaddle this land in darkness, in ice and fire, in pain and misery. Do you accept?"
Athnal

Post by Athnal »

When Athnal traveled from abandoned Widu he passed by haunted Tower near Imperius. Haunted, that's exactly how pessants tend to describe this frightening structure where Marquess decided to return after weeks from his first encounter. In taverns of Fenia he overheard it's occupied by a teacher of dark arts. Athnal went through hard time lately, he closed himself for weeks in moist dungeons of his manor, where his servants for months gathered unique volumes and rare pieces of art, mostly stolen from foreign merchants. Athnal never cared for it's origin, but after his wife's death a rotten spirit reborned in his soul. His mind left him, days and nights became indistinguishable...a black worm of insanity was grazing his maggots on folds of Athnal's corrupted brain. He left dungeons pale, gaunt and weak, but with amazing skills he wasn't aware of. Now he stood under tower where he expected to meet a mentor, to tutor him into world of black magic, necromancy and alchemy. Servant unwrapped a purple carpet with embroidered runes and discreetly left with a carriege Athnal still owned from Widu. Marquess sat on a carpet and began his meditation, convinced he'll meet Koschei when the right time comes.
Brikka

Post by Brikka »

She stood impassively as he considered his payment. She expected jewels, gold, someone's heart in a little gilded box. An alliance. She did not see the point in that at first. While he explained, she turned her head slightly to the side and observed him. Then it became clear. To work independent meant they could one day have to fight. To be equal allies made them more powerful than each alone, but she would still have freedom.

Then he spoke magical words.
Darkness.
Ice.
Fire.
Pain.
Misery.
Each word made her smile grow, until all her sharp teeth glinted at him. Her eyes looked frighteningly playful and a deep laugh escaped her. It seemed to have an echo. Her lips closed into a grin, only the tips of her lower fangs showing. She stared at him for a moment, statue still, then suddenly spoke.

"I accept. When we begin."
koschei

Post by koschei »

"Young Miss Orc, we begin... now." He clapped his hands together, and in answer there was a tremendous clap as of a lightning strike.

And then they two, Master and Student, were standing once more before the Tower. He swept toward the great oak door, and noted a man seated on a carpet, on the ground. Koschei scowled and made a dismissive gesture toward the man.

"That carpet is threadbare and depleted," Koschei scolded him, "but I've no time to work on weaving today. Begone with you, wretch! Return again tomorrow and I may have time."

He applied a single finger to the heavy door, and it swung open, inward, with a satisfying creak. Had it swung outward before, he wondered? He would have to check for buildups of odd energies in the hinges...

Turning back to Brikka, he fixed her with an intense gaze. "Once you enter the tower, you must swear the oath immediately." He glanced about at the sky, nothing the placement of the sun. "If you remain within the tower walls past sunset and are not yet oath-sworn, terrible curses will befall you such that you would think being blasted into vapor would be a mercy! Come with me, and take care not to murder the bird... we need him pliable and living for the ritual we will conduct."
Brikka

Post by Brikka »

The sudden, unexpected transport left her confused for a moment. She shuddered and bared her teeth. She did not like the thought he could move her against her will. Her sudden anger calmed as her senses adjusted, and she made a note to repay him for that somehow. Someday.

He was speaking to someone about a carpet. Her eyes focused on the man beside the tower. He was thin and pale. Her head tilted and she examined him while Master opened the door. There was a blackness there, that much she could feel. Unsure if he wanted to attack Master or seek his council, she became alert. Her attention did not leave him, even as Koschei explained about the vow.

Only her eyes turned toward Koschei, her pride still bruised, but her resolved stiffened. "I take the vow. You offer me alliance when the time comes. For now, I serve and learn."