[OOC] Town Look/Culture

Moderator: Community Team

Auron

[OOC] Town Look/Culture

Post by Auron »

I would like it if we could establish a generally agreed view on what Imperius looks like. If Auron becomes Mayor I would really like for Imperius to have a strong integrated culture which I could write about.

Here is how Balerion described Imperius in the Lore section of the forum:
  • Imperious is an impressive sprawling city and the crown jewel of Fenia. From it the benevolent King rules wisely over his people. The town is very well known for its orchards and its oranges are a prized delicacy throughout the realm. Her people are industrious and hard working always looking for new ways to improve the kingdom through their innovation. Strong stone walls rising to massive heights and an impressive military keep the city safe from attack. This is my home, this land do I love, this is Imperious.
Obviously the orange's are out of the picture, so a grand city in the middle of a forest sounds reasonable. We would also need to include the Castle, which also prompts the question, how do we see the Castle? Personally I see Imperius as an Imperial City with a central Castle and a strong military presence, surrounded by forest.
Athnal

Re: [OOC] Town Look/Culture

Post by Athnal »

For me Imperius is also town full of officials and politicians but also merchants and local small traders. Castle and the City in the center surrounded by walls and suburbs. Walls embrace city like big "arms" coming from Castle which is placed aside. There also should be river (every town has a river) so you can take a stroll under the walls buying oranges and along the river to chill in shadows of forest. Suburbs are big area with loads of smaller and bigger houses and workshops while the City is strongly guarded heart of the kingdom. Temple, Town Hall, barracks, these are most likely buildings one would notice first. Market is the center of town and if you're in Imperius to make business it's gonna be first place you want to visit.
Morghain

Post by Morghain »

When I think of Imperius, I generally think of it as being made up of three main parts. Central is the Castle and its associated grounds and buildings that are used by the Monarch and their officials for the running of the Country.

Around it and seperated by a wall, I envision the more merchant/industrial/market areas made up of the businesses of those who supply the Castle and the surrounding environs.This is the area that I usually imagine the Town Hall being situated. It is kind of the "business" district of Imperius. It is also in this district, that I picture the training grounds and the duelling circle.

Out past that again, I see the less built up area of those who have chosen to live in Imperius but not necessarily have anything to do with the Castle directly, the suburbs so to speak where people have their choice of homes, professions etc.

This is then surrounded by the outskirts of Imperius, where there is the forests and other resources required by the City as well as the homes of some of those who prefer not to live right in amongst the civilization. When looking at the map, I generally picture Luc and Morgies lands being out amongst the mountain range that is behind the City. Basically, I take the essential idea shown on the map and kind of expand it.

Culturally, I assume that not everyone in the city is directly involved with the Castle. The City itself has its own identity that is seperate from the Castle itself. It is a place in its own right rather than being merely an extension of the Castle. It is a bustling mixture of different races, species etc so lots of colors, styles and art etc pervade the market section as everyone there brings their own flavor to the City. Underlying it all though, you can see the influences of the Mages and their worship in the architecture etc.
Auron

Post by Auron »

Underlying it all though, you can see the influences of the Mages and their worship in the architecture etc.
I suppose that raises the question, do we see Imperius as being very traditionally religious and faithful to the mages?
Morghain

Post by Morghain »

I would say nominally religious at best, obviously there are the odd few that are deeply faithful to the Mages and regularly attend Temple, base their lives around the doctrines of the Mages to the best of their ability but for the most part, the general populations do no more than acknowledge that the Mages exist and give them respect due as the overseeing deities of the Nation. Perhaps the city itself maintains a relationship with the Temple and there is the usual traditional religious influence on the overall culture of the City but I don't see us all religiously keeping all the doctrines, holidays or arranging our lifestyles around Mage worship. Being a busy City with many different creatures coming and going, there is too much room for the influence of other gods.

On a side note, I don't suppose someone could make me a grid map of "Imperius" one that shows all the accepted elements of the City eg Castle, forest, mountains, housing etc etc? I'm pretty naff at Image manipulation so would rather leave it to someone better at it :p A few people have been asking about suggestions for where they live, I usually just use the IG map but perhaps we could come up with something a bit more detailed for rp purposes.
Thorn

Post by Thorn »

I think that a great idea Morghain. If people can visualise the City and its regions then along with the detail of whats been put above becomes more 'real' and can be placed.
Morghain

Post by Morghain »

(*facepalm* and suddenly a certain dragon wants one for his town too...-.-) Thank you for that,Thorn. I'm going to be advertising for a "Cartographer" as I'm highly lacking in the artistry department! :p
balerion

Post by balerion »

Might I point out Paz had one as early as August? :P
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Morghain

Post by Morghain »

Really? *goes looky* where are they hiding it?
Riley

Post by Riley »

I've always imagined it to be more like a traditional medieval city... You'd have the central castle area, and then an almost...unplanned organic growth of houses around that castle over the centuries of it's existance, so I've never really seen Imperius as looking particularly planned.