[ORP] The Dragon Crag in the woods

Moderator: Community Team

Lorthem

[ORP] The Dragon Crag in the woods

Post by Lorthem »

Lorthem had flown a long way before finally reaching the town of Imperius. He circled high in the clouds for several hours using his powerful vision to scout the land below. He searched the nearby hills, the woods, and the town itself. He didnt know how accepting these people would be of a dragon, but his wings began to grow very tired for his long journey.

Without so much as a notice he dived out of the clouds and straight towards the woods. He had noticed the entrance to a cave in the side of a cliff face deep in the woods. As he landing with an earth shaking jolt he peered into the cave. It was a bit small but easily fixed, and clearly abandoned. He quickly used his claws to dig out a wider entrance to his new found crag.

Having completed his crag he bellowed out loudly as a jet of fire shot straight up into the air above the tree line. He had found a home, and hopefully it will hold many opportunities for him. He enters his new crag and lays his head down to rest imagining all the wealth and treasures he will soon fill his lair with. "I wonder how these people will react to me?" He thinks to himself as he lays there peering off into the forest.
Lorthem

Re: [ORP] The Dragon Crag in the woods

Post by Lorthem »

The next day Lorthem woke early. With nearly an hour before sunrise he took off flying around the woods and fields. He had hunted down two deer already but was still quite famished. Altering his course he landed roughly in a nearby field and pinned down a cow and quickly devoured it. He was as gone as quickly as he had arrived as he flew off towards the mountain pointed out to him on a map by Nenrael the night before.

It was a short flight, and by midday he had gathered every last token of the gold pile and through three flights carried it all back to his crag. Setting it aside for a while he decided it was time to dig further into the cliff face and made a spacious room further into his crag. Here he moved the treasure, and gifts he has received from his new friends Laxmi and Nenrael.

Content he curled up upon his treasure and looked at all the space he still had left to fill. "The start of my dragon horde!" He made a low pleasurable growl and smiled intently and greedily at his treasure.
Lorthem

Post by Lorthem »

Lorthem had spent the last few days in human form wandering the streets of Imperius. He was still an unusual being by comparison with many, and felt as if he had trouble fitting in. He didnt seem to be making friends fast and that was starting to bother him.

He sighed to himself as he left the local tavern and headed towards the city walls. He would change once he was safely out of sight and fly off for his afternoon hunt. Now that his initial tiredness from the long journey to Fenia had abated he found he didnt need to hunt as often as he once was. This was only the second time this week he found himself hungry enough to hunt.

As he exited the city he transformed back to his true form. He felt his nervousness subside as he was once safely protected under his thick scales. He took to the air and his strong vision soon found a large buck on the edge of the woods which his lair was hidden. He roared loud enough to be heard from miles around and dived towards the ground. He landed roughly and with one strong strike from his talons the buck fell to the ground dead. He fiercely roasted it until it was well done, and then took it in his fist to fly home for another lonely dinner.
Morghain

Post by Morghain »

A rumbling stomach had awoken her long before the setting of the sun. She hated being awake during the day, everything was so loud and bright. It was also very difficult to avoid being seen when she didn't want to be.

Alas, however, the noise her stomach had been making was almost enough to raise the dead. Silently slipping from their bed, so not to wake her Mate, she'd left her normal hunting grounds to explore a different area. She didn't want to over hunt her own territory, so occassionally made use of the more communal territory around the city outskirts.

As she was hunting in a more wooded area, she'd decided on a ground approach rather than an aerial one. While she was following the tracks of her current prey, she couldn't help but notice the peculiar behavior of the woods around her. The air was still, unbroken by the cacophany of sound made by the other creatures that inhabited the land. An almost tangible sense of anticipation permeates the air. It seemed she was not the only predator a-hunting.

She stops in her tracks and scans around her for clue as to the location of the potential competition. Tilting her head, she attemps to simultaneously listen for tell tale sounds and scent the breeze. Although the area is nominally communal hunting, most predators did not play well with others and she had no intention of fighting over the rights to a kill.

After a moment, she is no wiser as to the location of the other predator until the stillness broken by an almighty roar coming from nearby. As the surrounding trees suddenly come alive with a riot of color and sound from the flock of avian creatures that take to the air, she raises an eyebrow in curiosity. If she didn't know better, she'd have sworn that sounded like a dragon. Yet the one dragon she'd known to inhabit Imperius had long moved across the border and as far as she knew, was not currently visiting. The roar had not quite sounded like Dragon (Balerion) but her curiosity was piqued none the less.

As the forest around her began to settle after the sudden moment of violence, she quietly stalked in the direction the sound had come from to see what there is to see. Imagine her surprise when she comes around from behind a tree just in time to spot a strange dragon taking to the air with a buck in its fist. Before her mind has time to engage, she swears in surprise, likely loud enough for the dragon to hear if it has good hearing.
"Well I'll be...another dragon."
Lorthem

Post by Lorthem »

As Lorthem had taken to the skies to return home he felt a strange presence. Stopping high above the tree line wings beating heavily he peered down into the woods searching for the creature. He felt little concern for this presence in "his" woods though he was curious as to whom or what it was. This was the first presence he had felt since his arrival here other then an animal. He had sworn he heard a voice but thought it was likely just the wind.

Though little around Imperius could harm him in earnest he was truly interested to learn of this other predator, and to meet new beings. With that he concocted a plan to potentially lure the being out. He gripped the buck in his fist tightly so his talons cut deeply into it. Blood ran from the bucks hide and dripped to the ground far below. With that Lorthem flew off slightly west leaving a trail of blood as he went before striking into the woods and leaving his kill in the middle of a small clearing.

He had hoped this would be enough to at least lure the being in the opposite direction of his crag. For he had little desire for an unknown presence to appear so suddenly in front of his hiding place. Content with his work he growled low and silently issuing forth the strength to change into his human form. A bright light shone briefly before the gold dragon was gone and a man covered in a bright cloak, with bright and piercing golden eyes stood in his place. He removed himself from the clearing and hid beyond the trees, something his true form could not accomplish.
Morghain

Post by Morghain »

She thought the dragon hadn't heard her as it soon disappeared from view over the tree line. She decided to follow in the direction it took, thinking it would lead her to its home. She started to get suspicious when it became apparent that a blood trail was being left for her to follow. Ahhh...so the dragon knew she of her presence. She knew that dragons could be territorial creatures, yet she had come across no scratching or markings to indicate that this one had taken this area for its own.

Had she invaded anothers private area unintentionally. She pauses to think, should she gracefully slip away, leaving the dragon to his territory? or should she continue to follow it in order to satisfy her curiosity? In the end, her curiosity wins out and she continues on after the blood trail. Not long after, she comes across a small clearing where the blood trail has ended and the deer is left lying like a tempting offering. Thankfully she doesn't have much of a liking for food that is already killed by another, much preferring the joy of the whole hunt process..including the bringing down of the prey.

Surely the dragon didn't think she was so young a pup that she'd fall for a trick like that? How insulting! She comes to a stop just inside the clearing, well away from the carcass. Not wanting to be caught unawares, she rests her hand on her dagger as she gazes into the air above the clearing. Seeing nothing above her and feeling somewhat at a disadvantage on the ground, she spreads her wings in preparation to take flight. Hopefully she'd have better luck finding the dragon from the air.
Lorthem

Post by Lorthem »

Lorthem watched for a moment and studied the being. Upon seeing her he knew she was no simple creature and would not fall for his trick. With her attention on the sky however he slowly emerged from behind the tree and walked into the clearing in his human form.

Who are you? What are you doing in these woods? If you or any others are here to try and slay me be forewarned I will slaughter any who attempt to attack me or my new home.

Lorthem grew somewhat nervous and prepared to change into his true form at a moments notice. He hoped this was a friendly being but after the slaughtering that happened in his birthplace he couldnt be to safe.
Morghain

Post by Morghain »

Caught by surprise by the unexpected appearance by a strange male, she automatically drops into a fighting crouch. Considering he seems to be content to speak to her from across the clearing, she makes no further move to offer challenge but remains weary all the same. Not wanting to give away her actions too early to a creature she doesn't know, she merely replies.

" As far as I am aware, this is part of the Queens lands, any creature is permitted to hunt and gather on the Queens public lands. I have seen no markings to indicate that it has become anyones personal domain. Do you claim these lands as your own?"
Lorthem

Post by Lorthem »

Lorthem raises an eyebrow to the woman. "The Queen? You mean that woman in red who sits in the stone hall?! Yes Ive heard word of her during my passes through the city. Though she nor any other until now have entered these woods since my settling here."

Lorthem begins to circle slowly keeping his eyes on her. She claimed this wood to belong to the Queen, though he would argue differently. This was his home, his hunting ground, his realm. "You've come to hunt here havent you? Or could it be that this 'Queen' has sent you to evict me from these woods. I can assure you it will take much more then a single woman to chase me from my realm." He glowed ever so briefly and in a snap the man was young, replaced by a golden dragon. The dragons sudden girth appearing on the edge of the clearing forced two trees to be ripped from their roots and come crashing down.

He kept his focus on the girl for some time before his piercing thoughts echoed out towards her. "I am Lorthem, the Last. Why have you followed me to this spot? Are you friend or foe? Speak your peace, and do not seek to lie to me."
Morghain

Post by Morghain »

As he speaks, she allows her gaze to drift over him, trying to access whether or not a fight was immanent...and what her chances were should one occur. She shifts her footing as he begins to circle her, seeking to keep him always before her. She wasn't foolish enough to allow an unknown creature to circle behind her.

Before she can respond to his statements about the Queen or his initial questions about what she was doing there, the young man is suddenly replaced by the dragon she had been following. At his sudden appearance and the racket that accompanies it, she takes to the air with a surprised yelp, much like the birds had done earlier in response to his roar. Before she can make it far, her pride intervenes and forces her to see that he so far does not pose any immediate danger. She is surprised when his thoughts are heard in her mind, she was unused to hearing anyone other than Lucifer in there so it was mildly disconcerting hearing another male speaking to her in such an intimate way.

Returning to the ground, she clears her throat and attempts to reply to his questions.
"I am Countess Morghain Di Carpietra, Mate of Lucifer and a Knight of the Realm. I am neither friend nor foe to you. Yes, I came to this area to hunt, as I like to on occasion, range outside of our personal territory so as not to over hunt it. All the unclaimed lands within Fenias borders are considered property of the Queen for the use of its people. Had I known this land had been claimed by another, I would not be hunting here. You have not left markings to warn others that you have laid claim to this area and I have not seen or heard of another dragon in these parts since Bale. I was curious."