[ORP] Walking around Imperius

Moderator: Community Team

Grazilda

[ORP] Walking around Imperius

Post by Grazilda »

I finished delivering the steak to the VR so I decided to go around town. It has been years since I last left my cave. Funny, people said that no man is an island. But I was able to live alone for years. It was lonely, I admit. And I got tired of that. Thus, I walked around Imperius to discover what I have missed all these years of isolation, if not hibernation.
Mazork

Re: [ORP] Walking around Imperius

Post by Mazork »

"Deliver this to the quartermaster," Mazork said, handing a rolled note to a runner. The boy, a human of perhaps 15 years of age, was practically jogging to keep up with the orc's long strides.

"At once, sir!" the runner half-shouted and sprinted off with the note. Mazork didn't look after him, he kept his sight ahead and walked on purposefully. He was busy these days, with the duties of a general and strategic studies, and he wanted to make the best of these times when he had a moment to practise with his weapons. Thankfully, he was almost finished with those studies, the necessary stuff anyway. There was always more to learn, of course.

Mazork was in almost full equipment: a heavy chainmail, heavy shield, helmet and a huge axe on his back. He'd picked up the habit soon after becoming a general, having learned that in his position it paid to be always prepared. Fighting a dragon bare-handed was a bit too challenging even for Mazork - although even when technically bare-handed, he still had his magic. Thankfully, he'd not been alone that time, but a part of a heavy patrol unit, and they'd managed to drive the dragon off without any losses.

Huh? I do not think I have seen her before, he thought, as a woman walking the street in the opposite direction suddenly caught his eye. She had a distinct air about her, a presence of... wilderness. She looked tough and capable, someone used to survining in harsh conditions. I bet she would make an excellent scout, he mused. Perhaps he should try to recruit her.

Worth a try. "Excuse me, miss," he called out to her just as they were about to pass by each other, "are you new in Imperius?"
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

It was cold, thus the cool wind blew against my face. I did not wince. In fact, I enjoyed the fresh air, no matter how cold it was. It was so different from the musky air inside the cave. I walked and carefully looked around as if imprinting everything in my memory.

After I was satisfied with what I have absorbed, I continued walking. I saw an orc from my peripheral vision. My eyes did not look at him directly yet I kept him under observation through my peripheral vision. I walked straight ahead ever aware of my surroundings.

The orc talked to me as we got near each other. Had I not been the only one around, I would have doubted if he was talking to me. No one has ever called me a "miss before," at least as far as I can remember. But then again, it has been years since I literally left the cave.

I paused and I looked at him straight into eye, carefully observing if this orc is a threat to my existence. He may have called me a "miss," yet words are not a good benchmark of one's character. "I've been in Imperius for a long time," I replied.
Mazork

Post by Mazork »

"Ah, I see." Well, it wasn't like Mazork himself had lived in Imperius for a long time yet. "I apologise if the question seemed rude, it is just that I have not seen you before. Someone with an exceptional presence like you, I would definitely remember." He hoped she would take that as a compliment. Orcish expressions were different from those of humans, it was sometimes difficult to convey intentions. When your smile looked like threatening revealing of teeth, misunderstandings were not unexpected.

"I am Mazork, of the Saigan tribe." A tribe that no longer exists. "I am the General of Fenia. Could I take a moment of your time? I will buy you a drink and we can chat in the tavern, if that is fine?"
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

I listened to the orc but my face was emotionless. He was fully-equipped, I observed. From his stance and his armor, I deduced that the orc was ready for battle no matter where he is. I was surprised at his attempt of flattery. Not many orcs do that, or at least that's what I've been told. Most orcs that I've encountered way back were fierce and had no regard for others. He mentioned about my exceptional presence. He had a pathetic choice of words to describe me. "I am Grazilda. It was your description of exceptional presence that actually came across as rude. Speak up General. No one talks to me that way without wanting anything from me. What's the catch?"

I had to ask him point blank. There was no point in beating around the bush especially if the orc before me was a menacing orc and a general at the same time.
Mazork

Post by Mazork »

Mazork blinked. She was indeed unusual, for a human. "It seems you detest meaningless wordplay as much as I do, though I have had to get used to it, living among humans and other... talkative races." He gave a laugh, a low sounds deep from the throat.

"Straight to business, then. You have the presence of someone used to surviving in the wilderness, someone strong ang tough. I need such people. I would test your skill, and if proven sufficient, recruit you as a scout to the Fenian military." He remained relaxed, careful not to make any motions that could alarm her. He could see her wariness. It was no surprise, he was well aware of his warlike appearance and the reputation of his race.
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

I studied the orc before me. It was unusual for someone to be unbothered by my choice of words. Being the general that he is, Mazork appeared like a strong creature in and out. And this was complemented by his direct approach.

I looked at him straight in the eye for ten seconds. It was silent and I did not stir. "What will I get from joining the Fenian military?" I asked. There is no point of giving if the group were just mere parasites leeching what they can get from me. For all I know, I might be the only member of this so-called scouting group.
Mazork

Post by Mazork »

Good, she is interested. "It is a job like any other," he said, shrugging his broad shoulders, "so you get a wage, of course. Then there is training: I chose you because I assume you have useful existing skills, but there are certanly valuable skills you can learn serving in a military. You can also gain fame and respect, loyal comrades, the satisfaction of serving an important cause, and chances to satisfy your bloodlust or competitiveness, should you seek any of those things." Not that she seemed the bloodthirsty type.

He inhaled. Now for the hard part."I have no intention of glorifying military service, though. It can be tedious, rough and dangerous. Some enjoy military life, others hate it. But it is worth trying." He observed curiously her reactions to the words.
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

I placed my hands down, listened to the orc and processed every word that he said. "You are a bad sales creature, General. You basically just gave me every reason why I should not join the Fenian military. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt before accepting or dismissing your offer. Tell me more. I want cold hard facts. Give me numbers, statistics, success rate and all those. I don't work in a trial and error method, General," I said.

Realizing that I've said too much, I observed his stance, the angle of his neck to his chin and the position of his arms looking for clues. Action speaks louder than words and there might be something that he was not telling me that I must know.
Mazork

Post by Mazork »

Mazork threw his head back and laughed. "Excellent!" he exclaimed in good humour. "Healthy suspicion and cold intellect. Perhaps I should hire you as an officer instead, Grazilda."

"If you want numbers, this is not the right place to continue this discussion. Nor will I impart any details unless I get your promise of silence." Promise, not oath, for it was the orcish way to expect others to hold their promises and only demand oaths from those who had shown cause for distrust.

"Meet me tomorrow morning at sunrise in front of the barracks. Meanwhile, how about a sparring match? I was just on my way to the training grounds." He motioned in the direction of the training grounds and gave the woman a questioning look.