Proposed Laws

Moderator: Community Team

Finwe

Proposed Laws

Post by Finwe »

Here are the proposal laws for Paz. I will leave this open for a few days if there is any feedback from the citizens before our town adopts them.
Town of Paz, Town Charter

A. Paz Town Council

TO keep the best interests of the citizens in mind the Town Council consists of the following members:

1. The current Mayor of the town of Paz
2. Head Mentor for the town of Paz (Recommended by the previous Head Mentor. Shall be appointed by the Mayor after approval by the town council)
3. Mayor appointed councilors.

B. The Town of Paz

1. The mayor has legislative power over the town. S/He can make municipal decrees that will have the force of laws as long as such decrees don't contradict standing Viceroy and Chief Mage laws.

C. Voting Procedures

1. An official poll pertaining to town government business may be started by any councilor.
2. Emergency issues will be voted on in a 24 hour poll in the Town Council.
3. Non-Emergency issues will be voted on in a three (3) day vote made in the Paz town forum if it is a public vote, or the Town Council if it is private.
4. Each poll shall have three(3) options: Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
5. A poll is declared valid with a simple majority of all non-abstaining votes and the majority shall determine the outcome.
6. A tied poll is considered as not passed. A poll not passed via this default may be returned to discussion and subject to a re-poll if deemed necessary.

D. Town Council Procedures

1. The Town Council must discuss any and all subjects presented to it for a minimum of three(3) days before it can be made into a vote (24 hours in the case of an emergency). After the minimum of three(3) days the any council member may turn that topic into a poll if needed. Otherwise, discussion may continue. The results of any vote outweigh the discussion and all effects made by votes are binding unless vetoed by the Town Council.
2. The Mayor must have discussed it with the Town Council and made a vote in the Town Council to pass a town law. If the mayor does not follow these requirements the law will be considered null and void.

E. Audience before the Town Council

1. EVERY citizen of Paz has the right to an audience before the current Town Council
2. Every citizen of Paz has the right to propose an issue and have it discussed by the current Town Council

F. The town market and its wares

1. NO single person living outside of Paz may purchase more than ten(10) of any product on the public or town markets without first contacting the Mayor. Once the Mayor is contacted this person must wait for a response before making purchases.
2. The Mayor has the right and authority to limit the wares someone from another town can purchase and take back to their town based on the current needs of the Paz people.
3. Violation of this article will be a light crime.

G. Crimes

1. Robbery - Moderate
2. Revolts - Moderate
3. Market Manipulation - Light
4. Harassment (this is a forum violation, RP punishment only)
5. Treason - Moderate-Serious
6. Murder - Serious

I. Light crimes have a sentence of degree I to II.
II. Moderate crimes have a sentence of degree II to IV.
III. Serious crimes have a sentence of degree IV to V.
IV. Infamous crimes have a sentence of degree I to VI.

SS A: List of Punishments
I. Public apology in the appropriate Town hall or the County hall.
II. Fines paid to the Town Hall
III. Jail time; for a light sentence, jail time is less than or equal to 3 days.
IV. Jail time; for a heavy sentence, jail time is greater than or equal to 3 days.
V. Exile
VI. Capital sentence by hanging, decapitation, or burning. (Roleplayed only, with the consent of the mayor and the convict)
Xenor

Re: Proposed Laws

Post by Xenor »

Are "screens" allowed in Paz? I think some of us could fake them. At least I do.

Also I don't like your marked laws. They will only keep traders away. We are handycapped anyway because of the position of our town. when we will have laws against traders from other towns no one will visit us and the overproduction of corn will not go away for excample.

Free marked!
firechild

Post by firechild »

Finwe, it seems that you have put alot of thought and effort into these laws, however they are very restrictive and do not allow for the people to recourse any issues they may have with what is going on in the town council or your leadership. The market laws are very restrictive and though they are intended to protect the market, as mentioned they will keep trade away and the added difficulty of our positioning only enhances the issue. Also there is a lack of transparency that is concerning with these laws. More or less the town council and mayor have all control and the people have no say, even so much as if they do not approve of whom is chosen on the council. Perhaps a simplification of the laws and more transparency would help. If you would like more detail I would be happy to do so.
Finwe

Post by Finwe »

Xenor wrote:Are "screens" allowed in Paz? I think some of us could fake them. At least I do.
Are you referring to screenshots? If you are then yes, you can't really prove crimes without them. Will all things they can be forged, but there is very little other alternative.
Xenor wrote:Also I don't like your marked laws. They will only keep traders away. We are handycapped anyway because of the position of our town. when we will have laws against traders from other towns no one will visit us and the overproduction of corn will not go away for excample.
I agree with a free market as well, however there are certain circumstances that can unbalance our town market now, since we are small. Someone could come in and buy up all the bread or corn and jack the price up, or simply just take it all leaving the town with no food. There is nothing saying they can't . . . they just have to contact the mayor first.
firechild wrote:Finwe, it seems that you have put alot of thought and effort into these laws
Thank you but it was a group effort among the members of town council, they deserve any credit as well.
firechild wrote:they are very restrictive and do not allow for the people to recourse any issues they may have with what is going on in the town council or your leadership.

I can see how you would think that. The original laws set the amount of town council members to the following:

The Mayor
The Chief Mentor
2 Mayor appointed members
3 Elected members

The town does have checks over what happens. They elect the Mayor and would also elect the 3 town council members. Right now, since there weren't many volunteers, we decided not to have elections until more interest was showed, when there are a decent amount of people expressing interest for town council our intention was to modify the law, for now though it only consists of volunteers appointed by the Mayor.

Citizens have the right to bring issues forth to TC or have an audience before the TC, we are not attempting to restrict anyone's rights.
firechild wrote:The market laws are very restrictive and though they are intended to protect the market, as mentioned they will keep trade away and the added difficulty of our positioning only enhances the issue.
I still don't see how those laws are restrictive. All a trader has to do is contact the mayor saying they want to buy in bulk, it's not saying it's automatically illegal. It also states that the mayor can limit what is sold on the town market by traders, however, it doesn't doesn't forbid people from selling . . . it just means that the Mayor can step in when there is gross market manipulation.

I am firmly against price caps or minimum wage laws, but some basic market controls like "ask the mayor before you unbalance the market" are good in my opinion.
Also there is a lack of transparency that is concerning with these laws. More or less the town council and mayor have all control and the people have no say, even so much as if they do not approve of whom is chosen on the council. Perhaps a simplification of the laws and more transparency would help.
I didn't mean to give that impression at all. Like I said once there is enough activity and interest, I want Town Council positions to be elected by the people. Right now only one person stepped forward to volunteer and that was Madkcat. I want this to be a town run by the people, who have the power to elect the mayor and the town council.

As far as transparency, me posting the laws for citizen review before taking them to TC to vote on them is a perfect example of how I want to be open. I apologize if it wasn't understood, but these laws are not in effect yet, I wanted input from the citizens before passing them. I thank both of you for the input. Market laws were a big debating point in TC and we wanted at least something basic.
firechild wrote:If you would like more detail I would be happy to do so.
If you could elaborate of debate back some of the points, that would be very helpful for making changes. I'm glad to see people interested in this :).
Aengus

Post by Aengus »

F. The town market and its wares

1. NO single person living outside of Paz may purchase more than ten(10) of any product on the public or town markets without first contacting the Mayor. Once the Mayor is contacted this person must wait for a response before making purchases.
2. The Mayor has the right and authority to limit the wares someone from another town can purchase and take back to their town based on the current needs of the Paz people.
3. Violation of this article will be a light crime.
I could send you a mail asking how you are doing, await your response, and then buy up everything. It would be perfectly legal.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

im sorry but why say public and town...the item market is the only market a citizen may ue and the field market....well I highly doubt someone will buy 10 fields... :lol:
Finwe

Post by Finwe »

I could send you a mail asking how you are doing, await your response, and then buy up everything. It would be perfectly legal.
Well I'll just have to make sure I never respond to any messages of yours :P.
im sorry but why say public and town...the item market is the only market a citizen may ue and the field market....well I highly doubt someone will buy 10 fields
Shouldn't you be kissing your king's feet or something?
Xenor

Post by Xenor »

Aengus wrote:
F

Yeah right...you will be be the least one I wanted here. You damaged the town to make profit!

But if our mayor is on your side it will work out fine.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

im sorry but why say public and town...the item market is the only market a citizen may ue and the field market....well I highly doubt someone will buy 10 fields
Shouldn't you be kissing your king's feet or something?
Pointing out the constant errors that appear in your laws is more than enough to keep me occupied puny Bravian... :lol:
Petal

Post by Petal »

We on the Town Council of Paz have put quite a bit of thought and work into these laws. As we're basically starting from scratch, there will be some growing pains. Any suggestions and constructive comments will, I'm sure, be appreciated by our Mayor and all of us on Council. Nothing is writ in stone yet. :)