[CRP] - Mist & Shadow

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Hadrian

Re: [CRP] - Mist & Shadow

Post by Hadrian »

The next morning a herald from the town hall comes to bring him in for his audience with the mayor. Sitting in the office he noticed the spartan appearance of the office. He had heard of Xavier the bold exploits of Joye, but he couldn't believe how far Bravia had fallen. I will just have to build her up again.

He knew Rowena was a very busy woman and he didn't intend to keep her long. Hadrian kept his hood around his face to cover his scar as he practiced his good demeanor for the meeting. Inside, though, he was still anxious for what was about to come. He restrained himself as best he could and waited for the mayor to come speak with him.
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

"M'am, a gentleman wishes an audience with you at your convenience. He awaits just outside. May I let him know you'll attend to him...?"

Gesturing to the clerk without looking up from her work, Mayor Rowena nodded down to the papers in front of her while she completed her thought with a flourish of ink. Her weekly updates to the town were a priority for her, but equally so was meeting with townsfolk who ventured into the offices to seek answers or present petitions. The draft on her desk could wait.

She heard some words exchanged in the hallway, the familiar cadence of the clerk followed by a low, unfamiliar voice - likely the gentleman seeking counsel - muffled through the door. Rising from her desk, the Mayor smoothed her skirt carefully with her gloved hands, awaiting the visitor's entrance.
Hadrian

Post by Hadrian »

Hadrian was finally allowed into the office after having to stand outside for what he felt was an unnecessarily long time. He put on a smile though and entered. The big desk in the room was piled high with papers and the mayor had a slightly frazzled look about her, as if she had worked countless hours without sleep.

He bowed slightly as he entered, An honor to meet you Rowena. I am glad you were able to see me on short notice. I just arrived in town yesterday. He paused for a moment . . . Also forgive me for saying it, but Bravia Town looks like it has seen better days. There is none of the grandeur about town that I expected. If you don’t mind me asking . . . what happened?
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

Exchanging greetings, Rowena motioned for Hadrian to take a seat if he wished before moving back behind her own desk. Her head nodded automatically as her visitor started to speak, but stopped mid-bob as the man seemed to suggest that Bravia was somehow in decline.

She cast a furtive glance around her office, trying to see it through a stranger's eyes. Taking in the weathered but still respectable walls and piles of paperwork that she had grown accustomed to, she was still uncertain what he seemed to be referring to. Had the clerk left the hallway a mess again? Since moving into the town proper Rowena had only seen improvements, with new businesses opening, long abandoned houses being cleaned up and moved into, and more trade on the markets. Perhaps Bravia's renaissance was not something that could be seen through a visitor's eyes, with the former decay still dominating over the new progress?

"Like all towns in Secfenia, Sir, Bravia has surely seen better days but those golden times of prosperity ended long ago. And much like every other town we are slowly emerging out of the darkness of our recent past and into a new age. 'Tis slow going, and..." the lady paused, trying to touch on Bravia's recent troubles as simply as possible. "Bravia has suffered recently and most unjustly at the hands of a false leader, who robbed the treasury of the people's hard earned money before fleeing to Fenia. Not a particularly unique move, to be sure..." a hint of a bitter smile flickered across her face, "but these sorts of setbacks don't help our progress."

"I'm certain you didn't request this audience just to hear our town's tales of woe. If I may ask, what business brings you here and what can I help you with today?"
Hadrian

Post by Hadrian »

Hadrian takes a seat while he listens to Rowena. Noticing that Rowena had become agitated by his questions he responds, I did not mean to offend you or insult this wonderful town. I did choose to move here after all, he smiles.

The actions of the previous mayor probably contributed to the economic decline of the town. It is actually that reason for which I wanted to meet with you. He pauses for a moment as he thinks of a good way to word the following . . . I like being involved. I would like to get where the action is and help build up Bravia. I was wondering if there was an active town council here and whether there might be a free spot for me on it. With a grin he says, I have extensive knowledge of the working of the world.

He gets up and moves to the window in her office. I have also noticed the lovely strawberry fields outside of town. I would be willing to harvest them for the town for almost no money.
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

Rowena listened carefully to the gentleman's speech, her face, as always, a blank slate. Giving nothing away, her stomach nonetheless lurched at the stranger's request to join the Town Council.

It was deja vu. A dark, mysterious stranger appears in town, wanting to improve Bravia with an offer of leadership, only weeks after the same story had played out rather poorly for Bravia. The Town Hall had been abused most egregiously, all because trust had been placed with a stranger who proved to be undeserving of that confidence. This, she thought, couldn't possibly be happening again. How oddly the world worked.

But this wasn't the same situation. Where Xavier appeared from nowhere to leap at the Mayorship uncontested, this man Hadrian had come to her directly, asking to be more involved, desiring to understand the town's needs and operations first. Although Rowena was extremely proud of her small but dedicated Council, help would certainly be welcome right now.

A stranger comes offering support. You know nothing of his nature, his abilities, his history, his motivations. In spite of everything... do you trust him? Rowena wasn't sure, but she also wasn't going to refuse one man's offer based on the previous actions of another. If his true intentions were anything less than noble, havoc could be wrecked whether he had access to town records or not. Hadrian will have to earn our trust, Rowena thought. But maybe that could best be accomplished from within Council, with the supervision of the Councilors she trusted? She couldn't deny him the opportunity.

"Very well, Sir. It's quite unusual to accept an unknown new resident into the trust of the Council, but you have expressed yourself well and appear to be genuinely concerned for the welfare of Bravia. I will arrange for the clerk to grant you keys to the Chambers. We will talk," she paused significantly, her eyes twinkling a bit, "strawberries, later. Welcome to Bravia, Hadrian. May the Mages guide your new life here."