[CRP] - Mist & Shadow

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Hadrian

[CRP] - Mist & Shadow

Post by Hadrian »

(I'm just having some fun writing a bit, my first few posts will be narrative. As the story opens up more I'd be happy for participation so let me know if you're interested, before posting. Until then hope you enjoy the story)

The fire was rapidly consuming the small village. He managed to parry a blow from a mace with his staff, which broke in half from the impact. Duncan only had a moment to look over at his brother, fighting as well and the realization finally hit him . . . there are too many soldiers. Before he can dodge a second blow from the mace catches him off guard and he hears the breaking of bones as he is driven to the ground.

Get up peasant, the soldier goaded him, I'm not done with you, he says as he pulls Duncan to his feet. Looking over Duncan sees his brother's lifeless body, what energy he had left faded and all he could do was look at the soldier with a blank gaze. With an evil grin the soldier lifted his mace and Duncan was absorbed in darkness.

Wind rushed by his head as if he was in the middle of a hurricane. A thousand thoughts rushed through his head. Mixed in with visions of his past was something else unexplainable. Random knowledge was filling his head as if he was becoming omnipresent of something much much greater then the tiny village he had spent his whole life in. The feeling went on for ages. He was unaware if he was traveling in the dark for days, years, ages, or maybe it was only a few seconds. As time was held in limbo, Duncan noticed a sphere of light in the far distance.

Slowly struggling he makes his way to it. It was a sphere large enough to look into clearly. Tears came to his eyes as he saw what was within . . . a flowing series of pictures from his last mortal day. He had been out hunting with his brother that day only to return to see a large host of soldiers in the village fighting the townsfolk. Duncan saw an image of his father being cut down, his mother and sister trying to escape and he watched in terror as his mother was hit with two arrows and fell. Finally he say him and his brother being overcome. Terrible agony was overcoming his and his agonizing screams filled the darkness.
Hadrian

Re: [CRP] - Mist & Shadow

Post by Hadrian »

Duncan, came a dark and terrible voice. Bewildered he clung to the sphere, the only source of light. Duncan . . . came the ominous voice again. A second later there appeared a shape out of the void, not quite man, but large and terrible.

You need not fear me. You are already dead, no longer must you fear like those that still live. The shade begins to circle around Duncan and the sphere. Do you know me Duncan? Still terrified, Duncan nodded no. The dark abomination continued in his wretched voice . . . I am the keeper of shadow and cloud, the void is my home and all I lust for is black. I have brought you here, I prevented you from entering the light. Now, instead of bliss you have only these visions to haunt you, he speaks as he points at the sphere.

Despite his fear, anger was creeping into Duncan’s heart.

Yes, the dark figure continued, there is anger in you and vengeance as well. Duncan, it is not often that my kind makes deals with mortals. But this I offer to you, I will give you life anew. I will give you strength, endurance, and teach you many wondrous things. In exchange you will be my servant on earth, to spread shadow and fear. You will be a manifestation of my will. What say you?

Duncan had released his grip on the sphere as hatred for this creature continued to grow in his heart. Whatever demon spawn you are, I will never serve you. Not even if I be confined here forever. Even more fury mounted in him and his courage grew. Your promises are great, but you deal out such gifts according to your own design.

The shade only chuckled. I have one last thing to show you, he says pointing once more at the sphere. The sphere glows again with a new image, that of his sister running from the village. Another image appeared of her hiding in the woods with guards searching for her.

She still lives Duncan, would you forsake her? There is time, you can save her if you will only let me send you back.

As Duncan continues gazing into the sphere he lets out a sorrowful howl. He turns to the shade . . . Send me back.
Last edited by Hadrian on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hadrian

Post by Hadrian »

All of a sudden his eyes open, there is intense pain coming from the left side of his head. He manages to reach a hand up only to look at it covered in blood. Duncan can’t manage to move most of his body.Must get up, must find Sarah, slowly he crawls on the ground. Two soldiers come out of the woods holding Sarah. He yells and screams to no avail as the roar of the fires drone out him out. Watching helplessly as she is bound he uses sheer willpower and adrenaline he rises to his feet. The pain is excruciating as he watches his sister get thrown into a wagon with some other villagers. He cannot move though and collapses again as the pain from his injuries make him black out once more.
Hadrian

Post by Hadrian »

By the time Duncan wakes again, the fires are dying down. Hopelessness instantly hits him. He has lost his sister, the sole reason for returning. Tears well up in his eyes, he can hardly yell, but still manages to curse the shade that send him here. We had a bargain! You promised me strength and power, but all I have is this ruined body! YOU SAID I COULD SAVE HER!!, he rages as hatred overcomes him.

You were right Duncan, I do give out gifts of my own design. I promised you much and you shall have it in time. Gifts not earned lessen their value. For now be content with life. . . . the voice inside his head stops.

He goes into a hysterical anger, screaming and flailing until he notices the sound of a cart coming near him. Looking through the smoking ruins he notices and old man pulling a small cart coming towards him. All he does is stare as the decrepit man nears close, he seemed oddly at peace in this smoldering village. The old man puts down the cart saying, You’re to come with me, as he helps Duncan off the ground. Who are you? Duncan asks.

M’name’s not important, I was sent here to collect you and take you someplace you can heal, he stated as he heaves Duncan into the back of the cart. Without saying another word, the old man begins pulling the cart again.

As he lies in the cart all he can think about is his failure. He could not save his village or his family. But his heart turns again to anger and hatred. Hatred for the soldiers that destroyed his family and hatred towards The Shade, which made him come back.

Duncan was in the cart for days and barely spoke to the old man. He went in and out of feeling depressed and being furious at what had happened. On they continued though, with only brief stops to rest.
Hadrian

Post by Hadrian »

They had traveled about a week to the best of Duncan’s reckoning. Finally they reached a cave, which he perceived to be their destination. They old man stopped and helped Duncan out of the cart and led him inside. There were orbs of fire floating inside that seemed to have no source. The lights guided them to a pool of water.

Get in, says the old man as he starts to lower Duncan into the water. It’ll heal ya.

An odd sensation came over him, as if his body was reordering itself and changing. The water engulfed Duncan as if it had a will of his own. It was turning against him and thought he struggled with all his might against it, he could not get out. The fear of drowning came over him.

Yet again you succumb to fear, when anger and aggression are better tools for survival.

With one last powerful lunge Duncan reached for the surface of the pool and pulls himself out. After gasping for breath he grasps the old man by the neck and slams him against the wall, with new found strength. Clever trick, old man, trying to kill me. Yelling louder and louder, I am in control now! I want to know who you are and why we’re here!

The old man disappeared before Duncan’s eyes. Looking around in raged disbelief he sees him on the other side of the pool.

You’re in control? Your life is now mine, says the now familiar voice in his head. I take many forms, never, NEVER underestimate me. The voice ends as the old man begins to head deeper into the caves. The orbs of fire continue to light his way as Duncan follows.

The old man stops at a door and motions for Duncan to enter. Inside is a small room with a mat on the floor, a large chest, and a desk and chair. Draped over the chair are some plain garments and a long black cloak. The old man leaves Duncan to himself for a bit and heads off.

Opening the large chest Duncan finds a suit of armor, a small glass sphere, a large blank book, and lastly a small piece of glass in which he can see his reflection. His skin had turned pale . . . not white, but ashen. The left side of his face was deformed from the mace blow he received. He reached up and touched his face in disgust.
Hadrian

Post by Hadrian »

Duncan hated his new appearance. Everything seemed to be stacking up against him and he hated everyone that had ruined his life. Often in the seclusion of his room he wrote out elaborate plans to punish the soldiers, The Shade, and even ways to kill himself when his vengeance was complete.

The Shade would often enter Duncan’s mind and possess him. Duncan loathed not having control of his own thoughts. The old man also taught him many strange and terrible abilities . . . how to mask himself in shadow, how to bend and break the will of creatures and several other powers that were forced into his mind.

The isolation and the teachings of The Shade took hold over Duncan and drove any good qualities in him into deep hiding. His mind progressed from hating the soldiers, then hating himself, and finally hating everything living. He was more ever bent upon revenge, planning only on using people for his own design (which was The Shade’s design as well). Duncan wondered when he would be released from his prison . . . and eventually he was.
Hadrian

Post by Hadrian »

You have learned much quickly and you are terrible and strong. Now it is time to put into action our plans. Go forth, the world is your playground. Duncan is no more, Duncan is the past. You will take a new name. Now you are Hadrian, meaning the dark one.

Hadrian nodded and finished putting on his armor. He left the cave on a black horse, looking like a young and noble knight (besides his ashen skin). He pulled up his hood to cover the scar on his head.

Eagerly he made his way through the woods till he intersected a road. Cork was the only city he’d been to but he knew that lay several days away. Hadrian longed to return, to see once again the ruins of his village on the border of Bravia and Fenia. His lust for revenge pointed him in Cork’s direction.

No, not yet. Go to Bravia, the capital. Plants the seeds of vengeance, for he who sows lies will always reap a full harvest.

With that Hadrian unwillingly changed directions and headed for Bravia Town.
Last edited by Hadrian on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hadrian

Post by Hadrian »

For years now all of Hadrian’s rage had not been allowed to escape. He longed to unless hell on someone, so they could suffer as he had. Hadrian’s mind dwelled on dark thoughts as he made his way down the road.

At length he came upon an inn and though Hadrian had little need for food or sleep he decided to stop.

Woe to anyone inside, he said with an evil grin.

Entering the inn he took a seat and scanned the room. There was a jolly round man tending the bar, who Hadrian assumed was the inn keeper; he was talking to a plump woman, who looked to be his wife. Disgusting, Hadrian thought to himself. There was another young couple sitting at another table and finally three men (who appeared to be traveling merchants sitting at a third.

He lowered his hood and moved closer to the bar and introduced himself to the innkeeper and his wife. Aye mate, came the innkeeper, excuse me for askin but what happened to your face?

Ah, that Hadrian smiles. Got it serving in the army, border skirmish with the Fenians. Lucky hit by one of them, good thing they have poor soldiers or I could have ended up worse.

You know in me youth I was also conscripted. Always proud to have served Bravia, retorted the innkeeper. But blimey you’re lucky to be alive, he said as he took another swig of his drink.

Hadrian laughed at his words, Yes . . . lucky. They continued talked about past battles (though Hadrian had never served in the army) He ordered round after round and a couple hours later turned to the innkeeper once more. I must apologize, I wanted to tell you about those men over there, he said as he nods in the direction of the merchants. I know you might not have trusted me before, but I know them. I passed them on the road yesterday and they tried to rob me. He pauses for a second, Why do you think they look over at us so suspiciously? I would not let them stay here tonight or you will wake up tomorrow to an empty bar and purse.

Hadrian watches as the innkeeper contemplates his words. They don’t look much like thieves.

Of course not, that’s what they would want you to think. I’m willing to help you. Let me go confront them for you. The innkeeper nodded yes.

Hadrian walked over to three men as he notices the younger couple heading up the stairs to a room for the night. A smile overcomes him as he takes a seat with the three merchants. In the mood for more drinks?, he says as he produces his coin purse. The merchants hesitantly nod yes.

Shall we gamble a bit? Hadrian asks. They once again nod hesitantly. They play a few games of cards and Hadrian continues to buy rounds. Of course he won almost every hand and the merchants became upset at their losing hands. When they were finally on the verge of Fury, Hadrian left and returned to the innkeeper.

They are definitely against us, he says. Let us take them out . . . like two old soldiers reliving the old days, he says with pride.

Aye, answers the innkeeper with an angry look as he heads towards the merchants.

Hey, you ins, get out of me inn, says the innkeeper with pride.

The merchants look up oddly . . .

You heard him, get out, Hadrian says.

Long story short a scuffle began and at the end only Hadrian was standing. He looked happily at the innkeeper’s wife. Now what happened next wasn’t exactly PG-13, but suffice to say that when the rangers that protected the road between Bravia and Cork arrived at the tavern the next day, only one of them could stomach to reach the top floor of the inn to see what atrocity had been done to the young couple, still laying in their beds. The scene was gruesome and even Hadrian wasn't entirely aware of his work that night.
Hadrian

Post by Hadrian »

Hadrian had slipped off into the night after his stay at the inn. He rationalized his actions in a very base way. His victims got to die, they were lucky. He could not die or even truly live. Hadrian hated those he killed and his jealously spurred him on to Bravia Town.

He trodded down the road until at last he arrived at the city. It wasn’t all that impressive for a capital. It looked like a ghost camp, even the grant Viceregal Government Halls were tarnished. Underpaid clerks scurried around it.

This shouldn’t be too hard, he thinks to himself. He dismounted and walked up the steps of the town hall. Keeping his hood up he finds the closest clerk. I would like to register as a citizen of this town. He notices the clerk hesitating at his appearance but continues on. When are the next mayor elections?

In about 24 days, the clerk nervously answers.

Good, good, Hadrian says. I would also like to meet with the mayor . . . if that is at all possible, he grins at the clerk. He sets up an appointment before leaving.

Hadrian had also bought a house in town, to compliment his citizenship. When he arrived at his new residence he found it to be small. Only big enough for a small bed and a writing desk. Perfect, Hadrian thought. He wouldn’t need either much, but it would be unsightly to live somewhere without a house.

He immediately sat at the desk and pulled out some parchment an ink. Hadrian wrote a short, yet concise letter and sealed it. He headed out into the night to find a rider to deliver the letter.
Hadrian

Post by Hadrian »

The sun had gone down and it was growing colder outside. Hadrian walked silently among the houses until he found the town stables.

Entering he produced his purse and shouted for everyone in the stable to hear; I need a delivery done and I've got more then enough coin to make it worth while. Several jumped at the offer and Hadrian picked the one he thought best suited for what he was about to ask of them.

After choosing his rider he pulled him aside. All I need delivered is this one letter, he says as he slips the letter to the rider.

There's no name on it though.

Better for all involved, Hadrian says as he whispers in the rider's ear. Bring me their response as well.

The rider only looks hesitantly at the letter, as if disgusted by it.

100 frz. for delivery, Hadrian says as he heads to leave. Oh . . . and don't fail. That would be a very painful choice for you and your family, he says with a sly grin.

The rider only nods with a look of inner suffering about the task he was put to.