[CRP] A Wayward Son Returns

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Aida

Re: [IRP] A Wayward Son Returns

Post by Aida »

Aida said nothing for a moment, yet upon realising her companion wasn't going to reveal much about the missing women, continued on. She stopped for a second to pull back a large branch gently, noticing it had a charm made of animal bones attached to it. It wasn't anything she recognised as evil but it gave her pause for a moment, wondering if they had been reckless to come. She motioned him to go past and hoped he wouldn't recognise the remains of an altar set up across the stream. Perhaps she should have come alone, but Aida couldn't deny Bhenithius the chance to find out about his family first hand. He deserved that much.

"This person? Is someone knowledgable. Knowledgable and old enough to know most of the operating witches in Fenia. You don't need to expect any dangers from her, unless you're particularly rude. Penchant for turning naughty children and impolite adults into frogs, that one." She chuckled slightly.

They were emerging into a grassland now, the wind cover of the trees gone was a harsh change and Aida shuddered and pulled her cloak around her. She hurried on, hoping Bhen wasn't too tired.

"We can stop, if you like. Have lunch, make a fire. Or we can carry on?"

She looked up at the position of the sun behind the clouds and squinted.

"On seconds thoughts, we should probably just try and get there."
Bhenithius

Post by Bhenithius »

"Aye, agreed." Bhen replied to Aida's suggestion that they race against the falling light and carry on. Unless this Enchantress could enchant them a log cabin out of a pile of sticks, he wasn't very eager to the idea of spending the night in the Imperiun Forests. So it was that Bhenithius found himself following this strange person he had only recently meet yet kept finding himself caught up in predicaments and needing her assistance.

The rich colors of autumn coated much of the forest like bright paints on a canvas; Scarlet red, Canary yellow, Pumpkin orange mixed and mingled with with browns and greens that clung on stubbornly against the ever encrouching change of the season. The soft babbling of a stream somewhere nearby trailed off to be masked by the rustling of wind swept leafs and nickering forest rodents.

Deciding to try to break up some of the monotony of walking in silence, and still having his family weighing heavy on his mind, Bhen offered up some conversation. "I was meant to be the scholar in the family," he started with a laugh, having always struggled with his teachings as a youth. "My father was traditional like that, old fashioned even. First son is given the sword and the second gets the book. If I had had a younger brother, he would have been destined for the temple. Meanwhile the girls, well they'd all be married off to respectible enough houses.". Everyone had their pre-ordained roles, and if you strayed from their father's plan, you were considered disfunctional.

"I had been sent to the university for my studies, but my father pulled me back home as a punishment for refusing their match for my bride. They had been of the thinking that after a time i'd get tired of not having their financial backing and aqeiecse to their wishes. That was their mistake though. I would have given up more than university and their meagre allowance to save myself from marrying some stranger of their choosing. We fought over it for months until I packed my rucksack and started on my journey East." A year in the far east trying to find himself and only getting further lost.

He grinned and carried on, oblivious to the charms that would be hanging on bushes and carved into the trees along their path. "My mother's a gentle but strong woman. A native Pazian. Used to be the thing I remembered most about her, complaining of the Fenian cold that is." he chuckled as he remenisced on his dark haired and warm skinned mother. "She did her best to keep my father in check. He could be overbearing at times to the point of madness it could seem. She was always the only person who could reason with him."
Bhenithius

Post by Bhenithius »

The setting sun was out of sight, leaving only peeks of the oranges, reds and purples of dusk through the thick forest canopy above. The leafs above seemed almost black as Bhenithius carreened his neck around, taking in the forest surroundings. Their journey throughout the day to find this mysterious person had not been a difficult one but it had been a long day of walking. The forest was quiet enough. Peaceful. Relaxing almost.. well, as long as he wasn't getting whacked in the face by the thin leafy branches of bushes and sapplings being pushes out of the way by Aida's progress ahead of him. Part of him thought she was doing it on purpose at this point.

One especially strong sappling branch came rearing towards Bhen's face, but he was able to catch it with his hand before it struck him. On it a little string of charms dangled before his eyes. He had been seeing them hanging here and there along their travels today, but hadn't paid much attention to them until now. "Hey, do you have any idea what these are?" he asked Aida, taking the string of charms from the sapling's branch. "Miss Aida?" he called, "Helloo?"

The overgrown path ahead of him lay empty, as far as his eyes could strain to see before the shadows engulfed it all in darkness several yards further on. There was no sounds of another person. No sign anyone had ever been there at all. Just the ever blackening forest around him and all the menacing sounds therein.

Bhenithius cupped his hands around his mouth and called loudly down the trail, "Aaaaida??" No reply came back to him from the darkness. "I need light. I need fire.."

Unshouldering his pack, Bhen fished around for his flint, bandage roll and a glass vial with a viscous yellow liquid in it. He then started fumbling through the tall grasses and thick leaf litter along the edges of the narrow path, until he eventually grasped a piece of a fallen branch. Perfect for crude club... or a torch. The final traces of dull purple light seeping through the canopy of leafs above was threatening to renege it's helpful illumination. The forest all around seemed to be waking. Movement of lithe, agile, yet nearly silent creatures could be heard. Predatory creatures. Hunters.

Wrapping the roll of bandages around the butt of the thicker end of his scavanged tree branch, he tied it off and hurried to uncork the vial of lamp oil he carried around with him. Things were getting closer to him. He could feel it in the air. The vibrations in the ground. He slipped his forearm holstered dagger out from it's sheath and began trying to strike a spark onto the ready torch butt. Strike! .. Strike! .. Strike! .. Weak flint sparks flew off with each strike but none had succeeded in igniting his torch. Damnation! The forest predators seemed too close. Strike! .. Strike! .. Strike! ..

A hot blaze of fire and light errupted from the torch butt and Bhenithius grabbed it up, ready to defend himself with flame and dagger, but was suddenly meet by the snapping face of some hideous sharp teethed creature. In shock, Bhenithius stumbled backwards while slashing haphazardly in the creature's direction, only to fall back upon his buttocks. An alien howl filled the air as he caught sight of the retreating predator, disappearing just outside of the torch's touch. Whatever it was apparently didn't like the light.
Aida

Post by Aida »

She had become lost in the forest. Not physically, she still had her bearings even as the light faded and the canopy rescinded into darkness. But in her head, a thousand memories began to spill from the locked box she kept at the back of her mind, filling the darkening foliage with thousands of bright and vivid thoughts. Her first meeting with a forest draiad beautiful and shimmering with forest green, the first time she had witnessed a sacfrice the blood of the cockeral a bright red upon the grey stones. The first time she had seen spirits of the forest summoned that flew amongst the branches casting brilliant and pure light over her and weaving in and out of the witches as though to remind them they could not be caught, could not be tamed, could not be held against their will. How many times had she walked these woods? Hundreds. Memories beautiful and terrible flashed before her eyes.

Aida blinked back tears and tried to return to the moment, turning to reply to Bhen as he'd told her about his upbringing. She found his life, or his past life, strange in its normality and structure and wondered how she would have done herself as a well-to-do gentlewoman, waiting to be married. She might have been happy, learning the crafts of her class and enjoying the passive privilege of not having to worry about where dinner was coming tonight. But no, there was something about her own life that marred by pain and abuse she would not trade. Darker memories rose like bile in her throat and she forced them down, trying to return to the moment.

She stopped, suddenly squinting in the darkness, summoning her strength to cast a sphere of warm light above her head. A large stone had been tipped upon its side, creating a large flat surface. It was covered in blackened markings, ritual spells. Burnt ash and dried blood. She swore and turned to Bhen.

"Well have to go an- Bhen?" She looked around. Evidently he had fallen behind, or she had quickened up, or one of them had misstepped in the wrong direction. This was definitely not the place for mistakes.

A small pang of panic spiked in her chest. "Bhen?" BHEN?"

She heard rustling and then, in the near distance, a light appeared. It waved frantically back and forth, and she began to run. Twigs snapped underneath her boots and she cursed as she hit her ankle on a rock. It didn't matter though. She arrived just in time to see a creature run off, scared by the light as Bhen held it up. Noticing the charm tangled onto his fingers, she frowned and snatched it from his hands, throwing it into the distance, as far as she could. A bush rustled as it fell.

"You don't want to touch anything like that." She gulped and held her side. Whatever was attacking seemed to have run off.

"I think that was a forest crawler. We should leave its territory, they don't usually hunt humans but they will if they feel threatened. Either that or it was something else, and we're doomed. Either way, we need to move. We just have a gorge to cross and then we'll be in relative safety. I think."

She gave a nervous laugh.
Bhenithius

Post by Bhenithius »

Bhenithius skittered backwards upon his buttocks until his back was firmly rested upon the solid and grounded form of a tree. The creature was out of sight, frieghtened by the bright flames of his torch perhaps. Yet he could still hear it out there, rustling through the fallen dried leafs. "Saint Halia of the Riteous... blessed Grace of the Pure..." he began to recite the prayer of Halia, the patron saint of his father's line. The patron saint of the Puritans. "Cast your protective embrace upon me in this dark hour. Give me strength and fill my heart with courage. May your love and sympathy keep the evil at bay..." The sounds of the approaching creature grew louder, filling his being with a sense of dread, until the little form of his enchantress guide emerged from the gloomy shadows with a ball of light trailing at her tail..

"Aida?" he asked, relieved. "You should be more careful, Miss Aida. There are predators about these forests tonight..." he warn before getting up and collecting his rucksack and oddiments from where he had left them during the making of his torch.

Aida snatch the string of charms he had lifted from the sapling not long before and tossed them into the darkness, explaining never to touch such things again. She then shared her suspisions over the identity of the creature. "A forest crawler, you say?" Bhen replied, thankful that there was once again two of them and now with double the light.

Apparently they were not too far from relative safety. Their next destination was to be a gorge of some sort. "Yes, let's not daudle.." Bhen agreed as Aida suggests they keep moving.

So it was that the two of them continued on. One with torch, the other with magical orb of light, and this time Bhenithius made sure not to lose sight of his guide. He had a feeling this forest liked to play tricks. "How could anyone live in such a place and filled with such creatures?" he inquired earnestly. Much of his time in the East over the past year had been spent in the thick jungles, home to many primitive tribes and dangerous animals and creatures, but there was no other option; no real cities or towns like here in the Vicroyalties. Well, no cities aside from the great eastern metropolis of T'Humthindahm, but no one chose to go to that city willingly....
Aida

Post by Aida »

"How can people live here? You find a kinship, almost, with how life works here. You learn how to respect it and in turn, it respects you. Either that or you learn to command it, and it is forced to bend to your will. It depends what kind of person you are, what you reap from the forest. I was never the kind to try to seek power over it."

She cast the light wider as they walked up a hill, the forest thinning out and then the landscape opening out into a wide gorge. A river rushed below, the water almost whispering to the rocks it coursed through. Beyond there was the cottage, their aim, their object. Aida paused to hold her side and catch her breath, looking for the familiar site of the rope bridge needed to cross. She squinted, then summoned up her energy to cast the light as wide as she could make it go. Then she swore.

"The bridge is gone." She groaned, "Of course it is! This just couldn't be a nice simple walk, could it?! No! No. Because that would be too easy!"

She stomped with frustration, cursing and throwing her bag on the ground. Slumping down to the ground, Aida held her head in the ground and mumbled, "I'm sorry. I've... let you down. I thought I could help."

The sounds of the forest and the river below seemed to grow louder in her mind, reminding her of their power to change the course of an entire journey. Power, if she summoned all of her will, she could use to solve her problem. She stood up, an idea forming.

"Listen, I can make a temporary bridge over this gorge, using the forest... but I'm not powerful enough to hold it for long, or whilst I walk over it myself. Hold your torch up, and as soon as the vines grow over the gorge, you have to run, alright? Trust me, they'll hold you. After that, you'll be alone, but it's not long. There's a path right at the other side, it's obvious. It leads up to a stone cottage. Look for the woman inside there, and she will be able to help you. Are you ready?"
Bhenithius

Post by Bhenithius »

Bhenithius had kept a watchful eye out for more Forest Crawlers or any other dangerous beast that may have been lurking out in the bushy shadows. The forest was alive with noises but if there had been any monsters out there he hadn't seen them. He listened quietly to Aida's explaination on what it took to live out in these unnerving woods. She said you needed to live with it or command it. He wasn't entirely certain he could do either...

News of the missing rope bridge hardly seemed to shock him. A part of him almost expected such a blunder. Just another in a long line these past few days. "Oh.." was about all he could mutter in response to Aida's frustration. She explained how she felt she let him down. He smiled and said, "No fretting now. A fallen bridge is better than a fallen friend. And I appreciate all your help."

His smiled faded when she explained her solution....

"Grace Almighty!" he yelped. "You want me to run that gap on magic vines?!"

She assured him they would hold but that she could not follow. How am I supposed to get back?!!

Be brave you fool! he cursed silently.

Nodding his head to Aida, he said with as much courage as he could muster, "Ready"
Aida

Post by Aida »

She nodded and closed her eyes, remembering the magic and summoning up her strength and will for the task at hand. It had been a long time since she had done anything like this, a long time since she had felt both the exhilerating and the unbearable exhaustion that accompanied it. An owl hooted in a tree nearby and she had an uncomfortable sensation of being watched. 'Ignore it,' she told herself.

In a one fluid but strained movement, she pushed forward with all of her might. Vines and branches thick and thin, began to erupt at alarming speeds up out of the ground, splitting the dirt and spraying it up into her face. She squinted her eyes half closed and pushed again, her muscles burning and a strange sensation of tearing in her chest. Leaves and plant debris fell all around her.

"Go! Run!" She breathed.

The vines and branches raced across the gorge, cracking as they moved they formed a strong but dangerously unbalanced bridge across the empty space. She prayed he would not trip and held it for as long as she could.
Bhenithius

Post by Bhenithius »

Tendrils of vines and rootage slithered across the expanse in a lively manner, intertwining and interlocking until they closed the gap, the entire thing almost seemed to squirm and pulse as it hung in the air. She ordered him to make haste, but he was hesitant, as this could very well mean his death. Would her majick hold? Could he even trust her to hold it? His father had always proclaimed Witches to be devious and wicked creatures.

Bhenithius didn't think Aida to be either devious or wicked, and so with one last slow breath, he sprinted for the enchanted bridge shouting, "Saint Halia, don't fail me nooow!" Torch held to the side, he barreled past Aida and started across the uneven, viney and rooty crossing. He didn't let himself look down, just kept his eyes on the opposite side of the gorge, each breath steady and deep. His heart threatened to burst from his chest. Halfway there, Bhen... you're doing just fine.. he thought to himself. The wind through the gorge was not half as bad as it could have been. The vine bridge was wide enough as not to cause too much worry. His pace of running was admirable... the entire bridge rippled, only ever so slightly, but enough to trip up Bhen's feet and he stumbled forward. He tried to catch himself, but it was of no use and Bhen fell to his face, dropping his torch over the edge where it disappeared to fall to the gorge bottom. Damnation!

The bridge rippled again and this time it was more violent. Move Bhen!

Picking himself up, Bhenithius continued on across the failing enchantment and without his flame, only the glow of Aida's orb behind him. Vines began to loosen. Roots snapped and broke off. The entire mass started falling apart under his feet. One.. two... three.. he launched himself forward just as he neared the opposite side, tumbling onto dirt path roughly and coming to a rest in the grasses just the the enchanted vine bridge lost it's grip on this side of the gorge.

Bhenithius stood and walked back to the edge as he brushed the dirt and leafs from his tunic. He could he he outline in the light of her orb. "Good luck, Miss Aida!" he called as loud as he thought safe, " Keep your light shinning bright, and I thank you for all you've done." With a final wave, he turned away, sliding free his dagger once more and started down the path in the darkness. She said it was safer on this side of the gorge, didn't she? He didn't remember, but he hoped it was..

Minutes in such a dark and dangerous forest felt like mini lifetimes as one walked with all their senses on the highest of alerts. Listening for the tell tale signs of things lurking around. Sweat dripped down his face and neck in steady rivulets, even though it was mid autumn and got quite chilly at night. He would wager that every animal in a league of here could smell his man scent. Why am I being such a timid sheep?

He darted forward into a jog. He wasn't doing himself any favors by taking his time. The longer he lingered in the woods, the longer he sweated his stink into the forest air. He tried to not listen to the sounds of the forest. Just run. Just get there..

Eventually, the path rounded a small clearing where here stood a little cabin, made seemingly of wood, stone and with a mossy root and crooked chimney stack. Thin grey ribbons of smoke streamed out from the stack as a couple windows glowed dimmly, alluding to light and warmth within. Thank Halia!

Bhenithius jogged towards the little forest home looking for a door. A howl of something queer echoed from the forest. He found a little door on the other side of the cottage and didn't hesitate in knocking... quite loudly too. A horrible cackling, like a cross between a monkey and jackle, erruoted from the forest canopy. He knocked again and tried the handle, finding it unlocked and unbarred. He edged the door open and stuck his face through the gap. "Uhh.. hello? Mistress...uhh.. Mistress Hermit?! Don"t be alarmed, i'm sent by a friend of yours? Miss Aida?"
Last edited by Bhenithius on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aida

Post by Aida »

Aida held the bridge for as long as she could unsure whether Bhen had made it, no longer able to hold her light the entire scene plunged into darkness. She through she heard him fall and panicked, strengthening it with all of her might, ignoring the clear sound of a twigs snapping that marked something's passage towards her. She waited, as long she possibly could, leaves and dirt flying dramatically through the air until it was almost upon her. The gorge was too wide and the sound of branches and vines snapping too loud, but Aida was sure she heard a call from the other side. With everything she had left in her, she swung the entire bridge around, slamming with force into the creature who gave an ugly howl and fell to the ground, before struggling back onto its huge, beetle like legs. The crawler was back. The remnants of the bridge lay still and in peices on the marked ground.

Her magic drained, the injured creature lept upon her, it fastened its jaws around her legs and dragged her backwards into the forest exactly the way she had come.