Questions for Filkarn

Moderator: Community Team

Filkarn

Questions for Filkarn

Post by Filkarn »

Filkarn stood in a park near the town hall, he was tired so was at his full 20 feet of height, but he had managed to arrange for benches to be laid out and signs announcing that he would be answering the questions of anyone who had them.
Star

Re: Questions for Filkarn

Post by Star »

I received your mail.. I have a question.

You said "as the only candidate with official permission to run for this position I hope that I can count on your votes."

It seems to me who runs for the mayor should be based on experience and their willingness to undertake the position rather than that they were directed to do so. The mayor should be elected by the people from candidates who want to do the best thing for the town not someone who is doing so because he was asked to run. The will of the people not the direction of a monarch should decide the towns elections.

Am I to understand we now live in a dictatorship?
Athnal

Post by Athnal »

Frankly what you just said Star is completly untrue. Without Monarch's permission one can't run in elections in Fenia, if there's only one person with such permission then obviously you have no choice. It is this way since ever so don't spread confusion.

I also received mail and I am looking forward to changes. For very long time market was neglected and prices were based on seller's opinion as there was nothing else to compare. Lately it's a bit better but for long time it was like living on desert island.

I wish you good luck Filkarn whoever you are. I hope your optimism will be enough when you face problems of mayoral's routine and complete inactivity :lol:

Long Live the Queen!
Lordblackhawk

Post by Lordblackhawk »

""as the only candidate with official permission to run for this position I hope that I can count on your votes."
As Athnal has pointed out `Without Monarch's permission one can't run in elections in Fenia,` will is true however, the Great Mage himself has stated that such permission is NOT a requirement to run in any elections.
I would imagine that the Great Mages word takes precedence.

I also have received a mail and from what I have gathered all the citizens have.
Now, either Filkarn has a lot of time to mail each person individually (including his opponent) or, he has been given the chance of the `Mass Mail` option. (which -as far as I am aware - is only available to Mayors/Monarchs. For those not aware...the `Mass Mail` option sends a mail to everyone in the town - Dead, in Retreat or Active.
FYI: Ladyblackhawk refused to use that option as she felt it would have given her an unfair advantage.)

The economic plans for FC would make the town goods rich but cash poor.
VR buying would merely transferr the goods for cash which then would make the VR goods rich and cash poor.
This is where we would begin the `merry-go-round` of goods being bought between the towns and VR to move cash around as needed.
That makes poor economic sense but it looks good on paper.

Personally, I prefer to have someone with the experience and knowledge to look after the towns affairs not a person who just turns up and does what they are told to do.
As some of you know, Ladyblackhawk during her terms of office has never refused any request and has given assistance.
She has only ever been answerable to the citizens of the town and with your votes will continue to do so.

Your choice is easy.
Elect a person who worked hard for the town or someone who just turned up and is doing what they were `told` to do.
Athnal

Post by Athnal »

Well I think it's more complicated than you presented it LBH. However I agree permission is not required to put your name on the list but it's still up to monarch what happens next. In the past monarchs had own figures in different offices, unknown people doing whatever monarch told them (I especially mean LVI, Mages bless his name) and usually it was alright. In my opinion all LadyBH did was routine but there's not many people who would do it with such commitment for such a long time. I voted Filkarn because I am bored with FC I know. Besides Queen's wish is sufficient reason to vote for nobody instead of your wife who was mayor for months and months without any competition.
Nenrael

Post by Nenrael »

"as the only candidate with official permission to run for this position I hope that I can count on your votes."

I, too, found this statement offensive and distasteful. And while the queen can request people to step forward to run for any position, this statement impinges upon my right to vote for whom I choose. This statement, and some other things that have been raised in these halls, makes me wonder if there is more to this request than ensuring that the good people of Fenia City of choices for this election.

On to the questions, since this is supposed to be about asking one of the candidates questions.

What experience can you show that you have in running Fenia City, should you get elected?
Whom would you choose to sit on your Town Council?
Beyond being asked to run, why do you want to run?
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

I suggest all of you go take a look at the Laws of Fenia. For they are what is right and wrong in this land, and not some mage's opinion. Actually, let me cite the article regarding elections.
Election Laws:
Prior to registering, creatures wishing to compete in any Fenian election, Mayoral or Rite of Succession, must express their interest to the Monarch for an assessment of eligibility that will ensure their competency as a candidate.
And this has been present in our laws for quite a long time already, so saying things like "Am I to understand we now live in a dictatorship?" is nothing but a display of ignorance. We live in a monarchy, we always have, and we are all subject to the monarch and the laws of the land. Not agreeing with the law does not suddenly make it go away, nor does it entitle you to ignore or break it.
Nenrael

Post by Nenrael »

Begging your pardon, but anyone can write a law. I can write a law that says that the laws of gravity cannot hold me, and that I have the right to fly. But should I go to the top of a building and jump off, I assure you that the laws of gravity will be upheld over any laws that I may have written.

And it is so in this case.
the Great Mage himself has stated that such permission is NOT a requirement to run in any elections.
I fear that the Great Mage's law supersedes any declaration or laws of any monarch. Hence, the laws of gravity will be upheld over any law of flying.

But this is beside the point. This discussion is supposed to be for one of the candidates to respond to questions, and I await this candidates replies.
Xeno

Post by Xeno »

*A small black cat watches from the shadows, the beast watching with yellow eyes and stepping out to speak, a strong voice of another being carrying*

Zachrin has also stated, several times, that the government can enforce it's own laws and restrict elections however he chooses. Ever since fenia opened, under the first King Project, it has been forbidden for people to be mayors or even run a challenging list to Project's own in elections. This was the law since Fenia opened. Now it is allowed for those who wish to rise up and challenge the monarch, but the mayors are still legally restricted. Zachrin's own word states this is allowed-but it is up to the Viceroyals on how to enforce this. If they wish to throw Lady Blackhawk in jail for 10 days, issue 1000f fine, and declare her an enemy of state, by Zachrin's own words that is within the Viceregals right to enforce their laws accordingly.

I would also comment on the economic views of Mr Blackhawk, but I believe that is a matter for Filkarn and Fenia to deal with. The word of the mages stands though, and it is fully allowed for them to do laws like this. Zachrin has long said whether a government is benevolent, corrupt, controled, anarchy, or other stuff is up to the VRs to enforce, and they are free to do so however they wish. These laws have a far deeper reason behind them, which project knew about due to Zachrin's own policies, and created them for it. Zachrin knows of these laws and believes them fully justified and allowed to this day.

Also, only the mayor and priest can mass mail a town. The rector can mail the entire viceroyal, but spokesperson is unable too. And if either of them could, then I'm sure you know people in Imperious who can attest to not recieving a viceregal mail.
Nenrael

Post by Nenrael »

So if someone puts up their candidacy before this issue ever come to light, then what will happen? Will all those who voted for the winner, along with the winner, be thrown into gaol over their choice?

Other than in the statement from this candidate, I have not seen anything from anyone else saying that they are the only endorsed candidate.

If Mr. Kilkarn makes the claim of being the only candidate with official permission, I would like to see some proof of said fact.